Centuri Saturn 1b.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you have both the Centuri Saturn V and the Saturn 1B?

I have the Saturn V (as discussed on the other thread) and the later Estes version of the 1/100 1B kit (still unbuilt; maybe I'll build it this spring).

I always loved how the two scale Saturns looked together in the Centuri catalog pictures.

701cen10.jpg
701cen11.jpg

So you have both the Centuri Saturn V and the Saturn 1B?

I have the Saturn V (as discussed on the other thread) and the later Estes version of the 1/100 1B kit (still unbuilt; maybe I'll build it this spring).

I always loved how the two scale Saturns looked together in the Centuri catalog pictures.

701cen10.jpg
701cen11.jpg

Yes, I do have both Centuri models. I'm looking out for their 1/45th scale Little Joe II. It's just a matter of time. I would just love to see you do a build thread on both of your Saturn vehicles. Just a small hint, (ahem).

Heh heh.

As mentioned in the Saturn V thread, I did do a build story for Sport Rocketry back in late 1994. I've looked all over here and I can't find a copy of the story; maybe I'll order one if I can.

I've had the 1b kit almost as long as I had the Sat V kit (25 years). Maybe if I have time this summer I'll build it.

From experience of building the Saturn V and reading/talking to people who have built the Sat 1B, my own opinion is the 1B is probably as hard or harder. Doing the masking and painting on the 1B's lower-stage internal tank sections is more complicated than anything you do with the Sat V.

If and when Semroc gets back in full operation I want to get one of their 1/70 Sat 1B kits. In size they are pretty close to the 1/100 Sat V's.

Having done the Saturn 1B back when I was a kid and the Apogee version, it's certainly been a painter's model. I've always painted the tank tubes separately before installation making a tedious task a tad bit easier. It's how I did the Apogee one. I don't remember how I did the Centuri version I had as a kid as it was roughly over forty years ago for me. I do remember it turning out quite nicely and was very happy with the finished product. But I didn't use a twelve volt system and only one engine lit. Did a low level loop and flopped on the ground. Then the ejection charge went off, popped the upper section off and lit the remaining motor backwards toasting the model.

that is a beautiful model of a beautiful rocket!
ahh...back in the glory days when the Saturn 1b was lofting CMs and when the Saturn V was sending us to the moon....they were just cool looking machines.

painting the 1b could be a chore if you went with the Apollo 7 black tank version...I always liked the later white tank versions. I fell in love with that rocket during the Skylab missions. I probably still have the news paper clippings from the ASTP mission in 1975..I was a paper boy and that was front page news back then. I can remember drooling over the Estes 1b...saving all of my paper route money and begging my mom to drive me to the hobby shop where I had seen the kit....only getting there and being crushed...it was sold...and NEVER to return....to satisy my 1b cravings...I have built a couple Dr. Zooch 1bs...for my little home (and budget)...its ideal. Would love to see these kits ....they look fantastic!

View attachment 255554 This is the Centuri Saturn 1B I got back in December.

Back