K'Tesh's OpenRocket Parts Library

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Time for something new. I've done a lot of the nosecones in my inventory, and I've started to branch out into new territory. So, rather than filling up my Nosecone Library with other parts and assemblies, I've opted to create a new thread.

So, with that said here's a collection of assemblies that just about every rocket would have... Engine Mounts.

BT-60 Motor mount for Estes E engines that you can copy and paste into your sims.

And one for C-11/D motors

Those sims are based on Estes' centering rings that were laser cut, and were measured with my digital calipers for accuracy.

Below is a 24mm x 70mm BT-55 engine mount using wide cardboard rings.

I've also uploaded a BT-56 engine mount for a 24mm x 70mm powered rocket, you can download that below.

One way of using these sims are to open one of them, next save it as the name of the rocket you're building, then change the length of the Phantom BT-60 to the length of the body tube you're using for your rocket.

Attachments

• Estes 24mm x 95mm BT60 Motor mount.ork
    2.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Estes 24mm x 70mm BT60 Motor mount.ork
    2.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Estes 24mm x 70mm BT55 Motor mount.ork
    2.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Estes 24mm x 70mm BT56 Motor mount.ork
    2.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Below is a rendering of what is possible with the .ork file (attached below, which contains the “Mini”, “Standard”, “Long”, and “F” motor capable engine hooks). Mind you, the Semroc "Mini" is a best guess, as I didn't have one to model from, and I don't have the part number for the "F" motor capable one (as Semroc's site is down during the the change in ownership).

The Estes .ork file only has the modern (with finger tab) engine hooks. The shape is approximate (the real ones don't cut back so sharply).

To use these:
Create a phantom tube that is the OD of the motor tube minus .25". This will allow the EH to sit on top of the motor tube, "pierce" it, and "clip" over the motor. The phantom tube should be placed at the end of the stage. (Or you could just use one of the Engine Mount assemblies I've posted)​
Adjust the engine hook using the "Position Relative to" tool to correctly get the needed overlap.​

Attachments

• Estes Engine Hooks (with finger tab).ork
    1.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Semroc Engine Hooks.ork
    1.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Ok, I whipped up a few more simulations of Estes' motor mounts... This time using the 18mm x 70mm motors (A thru C)

Attachments

• Estes 18mm x 70mm BT50 Motor mount.ork
    2.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Estes 18mm x 70mm BT55 (thick CR) Motor mount.ork
    2.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Estes 18mm x 70mm BT55 Motor mount.ork
    2.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Estes 18mm x 70mm BT56 Motor mount.ork
    2.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Estes 18mm x 70mm BT60 Motor mount.ork
    2.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
It would be really neat if OR was able to incorporate all this hard work and your nose cones into a future release. Nice Job, Jim

It would be really neat if OR was able to incorporate all this hard work and your nose cones into a future release. Nice Job, Jim

That would be nice... Until then though, all anyone has to do is download the files, then copy them into their simulation. I would LOVE to see the ability to drag and drop full assemblies (engine mounts, baffles, etc.) in though.

Speaking of baffles... I tried to make a 1/2 moon baffle... :facepalm:

Half Moon Baffle (BT60) TEST.jpg

I wasn't able to rotate the fins/baffle plates 180 degrees (OR's limit is apparently 15 degrees). So, I couldn't get it to fit inside the body tube (I also need to reduce the thickness (as is) from 1.637" to 1.595").

Glad you like the work. I just hope people can get some use out of it.

Last edited:
I *thought* I was done with engine mounts for a while... Then I started modeling the Estes Aerospace Club EAC Viper (0820) and discovered it's a 13mm rocket.

So, here we go... Estes 13mm x 44mm BT50 Motor Mount (Die Cut CR):

I've also whipped one up for the BT-60 Based 13mm powered rockets (e.g. Estes' Goonybirds)

Mind you... I don't have an old-style Estes Mini Engine Hook to measure, so the hook is a best guess. Oh... And OR can't model a notch (in the centering ring).

Attachments

• Estes 13mm x 44mm BT60 Motor Mount (Die Cut CR).ork
    3.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Estes 13mm x 44mm BT50 Motor Mount (Die Cut CR).ork
    4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
No, I haven't. I keep making them a few at a time, and I post them here on TRF (occasionally over on YORF too). Uploading and updating a .zip file would be a PITA.

Correction...

When I did the mmt for the 13mm to BT-50 sim, I somehow messed up, and had it scaled for a BT-55. I've since corrected the image, and the .ork file.

Just in case there are any BT-55 sized rockets powered by 13mm motors (or BT-56 ones), I've added them to the list...

Attachments

• Estes 13mm x 44mm BT55 Motor Mount (Die Cut CR).ork
    4 KB · Views: 142
  • Estes 13mm x 44mm BT56 Motor Mount (Die Cut CR).ork
    4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Attachments

• Estes Pro Series II 29mm Motor Mount for 4in OD Body Tube.ork
    43.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Estes Pro Series II 29mm Motor Mount for 3in OD Body Tube.ork
    43.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Estes Pro Series II 29mm Motor Mount for 2 inch OD Body Tube.ork
    43.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Estes Pro Series II 29mm Motor Mount for 2.5 inch OD Body Tube.ork
    43.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
run OR and open the file/rocket you want to work on, from the file menu, open the part file and copy the parts, go back to your original window and paste the parts in/on the rocket. HTH
Rex

run OR and open the file/rocket you want to work on, from the file menu, open the part file and copy the parts, go back to your original window and paste the parts in/on the rocket. HTH
Rex

After pasting the parts into your rocket, you can also change the length of the body tube (often called Phantom Body Tube) to the length of your rocket's body tube and use it like you would any other body tube (but this one has the motor mounts already included). Do not alter the Phantom Body Tube for Engine Hooks though (it makes the engine hooks "clip" over your motor).

Ok, here's some new parts to the mix... These are essentially the same part, however OR makes you recreate them in reverse to be able to make something thin down, or thicken... This is the Estes Plastic Tube Adapter (Blowmolded)(BT-60 to BT-55)(or BT-55 to BT-60). These parts are often found attached to the PNC-60NA for payload sections (e.g. Scrambler II, Loadstar II, Warp II, Laser Lance).

The images below represent the actual part, the files lack the front and back conic sections to make them easier to use in Open Rocket.

Estes Plastic Tube Adapter (Blowmolded)(BT-60 to BT55)

Estes Plastic Tube Adapter (Blowmolded)(BT-55 to BT-60)

These parts are tricky to use. It would be advisable that if you are creating a .ork file for a rocket build that you start with these, then add everything else to them. Body tubes and nosecones need to be "moved up" to get into the proper position with these transitions.

Attachments

• Estes Plastic Tube Adapter (Blowmolded)(BT-55 to BT-60).ork
    889 bytes · Views: 133
  • Estes Plastic Tube Adapter (Blowmolded)(BT-60 to BT55).ork
    1.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Ok... these next parts are not perfect, but they are at the limit of what I can do with OR. Rail Buttons:

Rail Button Assembly

I did these as a pair, as you'll probably never use only one. The forward one is positioned from "Tip of the nose cone" and the rear one is "From back of the parent component"

I could make them "rounder" (say hexagonal or octagonal), but that would involve several more phantom body tubes, and I didn't want to go there.

After adjusting for the location on the rocket, each part can be positioned onto the parent body tube, and then the phantom body tube can be deleted (to remove any related error messages).

In a comparison between launch lugs and my rail buttons on my stretched Leviathan simulation, the difference was only 5 feet in the launch lugs favor. I doubt that this reflects actual conditions, but it's the best I can do.

Attachments

• Rail Button Assembly.ork
    1.3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Here we go with "drop-in" Binder Design 4" AV/Dual Deploy Bays.

Creating an accurately shaped Eye bolt is beyond OR's abilities to sim for internal parts... But... Then again... I AM AN OPENROCKET NINJA!!! (I can get close by sneaking up on it)

Attachments

• Binder Design 4 inch Dual Deploy Kit for long rockets.ork
    4.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Binder Design 4 inch Avionics Bay.ork
    4 KB · Views: 62
  • Binder Design 4 inch Avionics Bay (for short rockets).ork
    4.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thanks dixontj3060!

That slipped by me until now...

What brought me back here was this latest addition...

Thanks to John Boren for the specs.

Updated on 2/21/19 for more realistic graphics.
(Previous version viewed 41 times)

Attachments

• Estes Change Spacer E to D Engine (PN 35005).ork
    2.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Ok... Here's another part... Estes Twist Lock Coupler (PNs 61163, 61162). To my knowledge, only used in the most recent version of the Mean Machine.

Thanks to John Boren (JumpJet) and Terry (T-Rex) for the specs.

Attachments

• Estes Twist Lock Coupler (PNs 61163, 61162).ork
    1.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Today I'm adding the Quest Motor Clip (PN 49000) to the library. Scans and dimensions were provided by LW Bercini, and hcmbanjo.
Quest  Motor Clip (PN 49000).png

The hook is "attached" to a PBT, and "set" on a BT-20 diameter PBT. The pinched appearance of the finger tab is an optical illusion caused by the width of the clip and the angle of the rendering.

Apparently these are made from a soft steel, and not spring steel.

Attachments

• Quest Motor Clip (PN 49000).ork
    1.2 KB · Views: 65
Thanks to the kind folks at Aerotech, I was provided a few samples of the motor clip...

Here's an updated image based on one of my samples.

Oh, and FWIW, there is a little spring in the clip... It does flex back to its original shape with the pressure that it would take to install or remove a motor (I am not testing it to destruction).

Attachments

• Quest Motor Clip (PN 49000).ork
    2.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Looks like I'm going to need to update these a tad... My skills have improved.

I recently spent some time creating a better sim* of Estes' 24 mm Motor Retainer Set (PN 72417) with help from Luzwingnut.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE: Adjust the inner tube labeled "Motor Retainer (PN 72417)(Jacket)" by 1" (from 1.497" to .497") to get it to fit Estes 24 mm "E" motors.

The appearance of screw threads are beyond OR's ability to replicate (Read: I did what I could).

*than the one I did when I created the sim for the Estes Extreme 12 (7225) kit.

Attachments

• Estes 24 mm Motor Retainer Set (PN 72417).ork
    2.2 KB · Views: 49
dont for
Looks like I'm going to need to update these a tad... My skills have improved.

I recently spent some time creating a better sim* of Estes' 24 mm Motor Retainer Set (PN 72417) with help from Luzwingnut.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE: Adjust the inner tube labeled "Motor Retainer (PN 72417)(Jacket)" by 1" (from 1.497" to .497") to get it to fit Estes 24 mm "E" motors.

The appearance of screw threads are beyond OR's ability to replicate (Read: I did what I could).

*than the one I did when I created the sim for the Estes Extreme 12 (7225) kit.

don't forget about noses cones and payload sections there are various types....

Here's a new part for the library... Found in the 1991 release of Estes White Tiger (2055) I give you the Adapter Ring (brown)(0360165)

upload_2019-10-15_14-10-56.png

Attachments

• Estes Adapter Ring (brown) (030165).ork
    27 KB · Views: 27
So I have some questions about OR that maybe someone can answer.
1. Are individual components like nosecones or fins stored as .ork files somewhere? Or are they some other file extension?

2. Let's say I have created a motor mount consisting of a motor tube, centering rings, and engine retainer. Can these be saved or copied & pasted into a new instance of OR? It would be nice as I make changes to a design or incorporating into a new design.

I'm in the process of designing some midpower rockets that I can fly locally. (I live rurally with lots of open fields & frozen lakes in the winter.)

I'm recycling some nice plotter paper roll tubes to do so & since they don't coincide with any of the standard tube sizes ( 2 1/16" OD. 2" ID x 36" L) I'll be making everything, nosecone, centering rings, etc.

I want my first design to have a nosecone that looks like one that is used on a SpaceX Falcon 9 so I hit K'Tesh's nosecone tutorial & this is what I came with. Thanks Jim. :) I'll be latheing it out of balsa.

Attachments

• SpaceX Nosecone.ork
    755 bytes · Views: 28
So I have some questions about OR that maybe someone can answer.
1. Are individual components like nosecones or fins stored as .ork files somewhere? Or are they some other file extension?

2. Let's say I have created a motor mount consisting of a motor tube, centering rings, and engine retainer. Can these be saved or copied & pasted into a new instance of OR? It would be nice as I make changes to a design or incorporating into a new design.

I can't answer #1.

#2... I'm making the motor mounts around the motor tube (an Inner tube). If all the subcomponents are part of a single piece (like an inner tube) then that parent component can be copied, and pasted, into a new sim, and bring everything with it.

Back