Punisher check in

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
This is a thread to see what all of you who bought Punishers in the Wildman BSS (or since) are doing with them. Surely a few of them have flown by now, yes?

I'm most interested in a few specs:
* What motors have you flown, and how did they fly - what sort of altitude/speed?
* What parachutes are people using?
* What size ejection charges are people using?

Beyond on that, some general info on how you set yours up would be interesting - what altimeters?, how did you set up your AVbay?, show us your paint jobs, did you add anything special (like a tailcone retainer, camera, etc.)?, if you use tracking where did you mount the tracker?, and so on.

Any problems you ran into, or tips for those still building? (mine isn't built yet, but my coupler is an extremely tight fit into the nosecone - much sanding/fitting required on this, everything else seems very smooth and well fitting.)

Of course, pictures and video would be great.

Tell us about your Punisher!

s6

So far all I have done is the motor mount and retainer build. I have been a slacker this winter and have not really had time or the inclination to inhale fiberglass and mix epoxy for some reason. I will say that my coupler is a VERY tight fit into the nose cone - so much that it was stuck in there pretty good for a while. A quick hit with the heat gun got it loose but sanding will be necessary moving forward.

My plan for the AV bay is the HED type - nothing out of the ordinary. For a tracker, I was just going to see if I can fit it on the bottom of the AV bay sled and if not I'll just attach it to the shock cord in my little custom tracker coupler I made.

Bit of a tangent, but has anyone been able to purchase one since that Saturday Sale? I've checked the website a couple of times and not seen it listed.

Weird. In my book, the coolest kit Wildman ever produced (along with the 3" Darkstar).

I imagine the Punisher WILL show up as a regular listing, but not until Tim gets out from under the BSS sale fulfillment (which is STILL going on).

But back to the original question - is ANYONE flying these rockets yet?

s6

I flew mine last month and plan on another flight this Saturday. I flew it on a K454 to about 9k.

Not listed...... but just call to get one.

I've flown the heck out of mine, taking it to Australia with me, later this week,to fly some more!

I've got 4 flights so far.

Last edited:
I emailed wildman and he will put one together, but at a lot higher prices than most of you got it for. It's not called Punisher for nothing!

All the Black Saturday sale kits cost a lot more now....... they're not on sale!

The DarkStar 4in DD was only 140 bucks.... now it's 270.00

That's why I told you to jump on it [Punisher]back then.
Every year a featured rocket sells for under 100.00
That's why all the hullabaloo when these sales are going on.

Problem was, when Black Friday was around I wasn't in the states, so it was impossible to jump on the deal.

I will be in for one but will have to wait until my current project is done.

Just got my kit yesterday, and it is truly awesome.

Very interested to hear how much BP people are using for main deploy -- I've found that the usual equations may not work if the inside of the volume is nose-cone shaped.

Very interested to hear how much BP people are using for main deploy -- I've found that the usual equations may not work if the inside of the volume is nose-cone shaped.

1 gram primary altimeter
1.2 grams second back-up altimeter with 1 second apogee delay

3 - 256 shear pins.

Find the volume for a cone and a cylinder of similar dimensions then take the average of the two. That will get you in the ballpark.

Find the volume for a cone and a cylinder of similar dimensions then take the average of the two. That will get you in the ballpark.
The problem is not in computing the volume but understanding how a given internal pressure translates to linear force pushing the components apart. I've found anecdotally that just using the true volume underestimates the amount of BP required.

1 gram primary altimeter
1.2 grams second back-up altimeter with 1 second apogee delay

3 - 256 shear pins.

Those numbers proved a "no main" on my ground test. I know everyone will wrap their chutes differently and use different size chutes. I use 2.5 and 3 and run the charge up to the top of the burrito. I have seen C/J fly his numbers successfully and he laughs at me for running the charges up to the top of the cone. Best answer for this topic is ......GROUND TEST.

The problem is not in computing the volume but understanding how a given internal pressure translates to linear force pushing the components apart. I've found anecdotally that just using the true volume underestimates the amount of BP required.

pressure x area = force. that shouldn't be the hard part.

pressure x area = force. that shouldn't be the hard part.
Force is normal to the surface, though, and the inside of the cone is curved, so much of the force isn't going in a useful direction.

Ground test is a good answer. It amazes me that as much as 2.5 grams might be needed. I'd have guessed that CJ's 1g would work fine.

Force is normal to the surface, though, and the inside of the cone is curved, so much of the force isn't going in a useful direction.
true, but all those non useful forces cancel out and you are simply left with the diameter of the tube. all you have to look at is the cross sectional area.

Ground test is a good answer. It amazes me that as much as 2.5 grams might be needed.

+1 I use 2.5 g in my 5.5 inch extended Nike Smoke, and that has a lot of volume. I could probably even cut back on 2.5 g. But ground test is the answer. Start a little high and work your way down to an amount of powder that you are happy with.

+1 I use 2.5 g in my 5.5 inch extended Nike Smoke, and that has a lot of volume. I could probably even cut back on 2.5 g. But ground test is the answer. Start a little high and work your way down to an amount of powder that you are happy with.

Question: Why start high and work down?

Weird. In my book, the coolest kit Wildman ever produced (along with the 3" Darkstar).

I imagine the Punisher WILL show up as a regular listing, but not until Tim gets out from under the BSS sale fulfillment (which is STILL going on).

But back to the original question - is ANYONE flying these rockets yet?

s6

I plan on sending mine up at Snow Ranch 03/07/15, though likely Estes style on an H or I. Hopefully I can get some pictures of my build going soon, too.

Question: Why start high and work down?

No real reason I suppose. Whatever works. By high, I mean close to what I think will work. It is usually more than necessary for me. I then work down until I get tired or resetting up. There are rocket volume calculations, but when you add in shock cords, chutes, chute protectors, tracking unit, whatever, the volume goes way down. I mostly want to see that the apogee charge will separate the rocket without touching nose cone / payload sheer pins, and then that the main charge will sheer the pins and separate rest of rocket. Some rockets, like my Polecat Nike Smoke, have a huge volume in the nosecone.

No real reason I suppose. Whatever works. By high, I mean close to what I think will work. It is usually more than necessary for me. I then work down until I get tired or resetting up. There are rocket volume calculations, but when you add in shock cords, chutes, chute protectors, tracking unit, whatever, the volume goes way down. I mostly want to see that the apogee charge will separate the rocket without touching nose cone / payload sheer pins, and then that the main charge will sheer the pins and separate rest of rocket. Some rockets, like my Polecat Nike Smoke, have a huge volume in the nosecone.

Thanks, I agree with you. I just thought I might have missed something.

Back