6" Sledgehammer Level 3 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not forget to use a veil layer on that hybrid. Kevlar is one of those kinds of material, that when sanded will fuzz.

Do not forget to use a veil layer on that hybrid. Kevlar is one of those kinds of material, that when sanded will fuzz.

It's a good idea but not entirely necessary. On my tube I didn't use one and sanded lightly to get the peel ply texture out and it came out fine. The key thing is to not sand so much that you are sanding kevlar.

Decided to get my Fin slots cut out tonight. First put my Middle centering ring in place, This provided a way to mark where the fins will go.
IMG_1165.jpg

Put together Centering rings on motor tube.
IMG_1170.jpg

Measured distances for fin slots....
IMG_1167.jpg

Cut with dremel, to the demise of my smoke alarms...decided to put large fan up and do it in an opened window.
IMG_1168.jpg

And of course, had to put them all on....temporarily
IMG_1172.jpg

Will get MMT put together completely tomorrow morning, and get fins on hopefully.

It's a good idea but not entirely necessary. On my tube I didn't use one and sanded lightly to get the peel ply texture out and it came out fine. The key thing is to not sand so much that you are sanding kevlar.

Unfortunately I sand a lot lol. Im not a patient guy so sanding quick is what I like to do. The other alternative is to give it like 2 or 3 coats of epoxy and you can sand that smooth, without reaching into the kevlar.

By the way that sledgehammer is looking good. Keep up the good work.

Alright, was being lazy yesterday, worked but didn't post anything. So here we go again.

So here is my retention system for the Thrust plate. 10-24 all thread, fits the holes perfectly, Nylock nuts on the top end, and regular nuts on each side of the rings. All applied with red lock-tite.
IMG_1173.jpg

Of course, I line everything up, glue it in place, and then decide i better test fit it in the tube one more time, Top ring didn't line up....no big deal, just 2 cuts in this one. A small fire and a screaming wife cause the smoke alarms went off again. Cut the ring slot a bit bigger to fit, and then finished making fillets on the rings. Also my retention system is 2 U-Bolts, 3/8". Yes i can reach in there and attach quick links.
IMG_1174.jpg

I think my sub conscious was talking to me when i bought this desk. Makes the perfect holder for doing fillets. Ignore the mess, and the sheet, Epoxy guard lol. No garage....
IMG_1180.jpg

A view of that sexy thrust plate and retainer combo. No that i didn't forget a ring, its an extra. I suck at cutting slots apparently. Filled in the holes when i poured fillets.
IMG_1181.jpgIMG_1182.jpg

Using Rocketpoxy on this build as well, my cups, horrible taping job, and 1 decent fillet and 1 not so decent one...did all the others as well.
IMG_1183.jpgIMG_1185.jpgIMG_1186.jpg

Cut my fabric, just waiting for fillets to dry, then some sanding, more sanding and then some Carbon/Kevlar fun. That's 8.5 oz, Carbon Fiber/Kevlar twill weave cloth and 4oz satin fiberglass.
IMG_1187.jpgIMG_1179.jpg

More to come later. PML sent out the nose cone and rail guides today, should get them Friday.

Well tried this out on a spare tube, liked it and now i did one side.

The light points are where i accidentlly stretched the material thin. Its very easy to see if it wetted out fully, changes a dark redish color. And the veal layer turns mostly clear. Fun stuff...if only it was cheaper.

IMG_1188.jpgIMG_1189.jpg

Well tried this out on a spare tube, liked it and now i did one side.

The light points are where i accidentlly stretched the material thin. Its very easy to see if it wetted out fully, changes a dark redish color. And the veal layer turns mostly clear. Fun stuff...if only it was cheaper.

View attachment 258331View attachment 258332

*sigh* those days where I open my wallet and realize all my money is gone due to expensive composite fabrics.

Great work on that layup, that 3oz satin weave works great as a veil layer. By the way, I really recommend these kevlar shears from Composite Envisions. I have one and they work wonders on that Kevlar. It has serrations on it so really helps make clean cuts.

https://compositeenvisions.com/carbon-fiber-fiberglass-kevlar-shears-410.html

Yeah....I totally forgot about them scissors, ment to pick some up... oh well too late now.

On hold for a few more weeks, I am off to work again tomorrow.

I got the other 2 sides layed up, and got my nose cone and rail guides from PML.

Next week off I will get the wings put on, and the AV bay put together.

Till then have fun guys.

Well work decided they want to change everyone's schedules so I haven't done much. I got the wings on, and Kevlar/glass done, will have photos Thursday when I get home.

Unfortunately with works changes to my schedule, I wont be able to attend Airfest this year. So for now I am planning to return home an launch at Octoberfest with NCR in Colorado.

That is till work comes around once again and changes my schedule once more....

See you all in a few days....

Oh got my altimeters from Jim Amos again, gonna test them out in the next month or 2 here in Tennessee. Just need to order a new Eggfinder, and buy a better soldering iron...mine is crap. Then i will be pretty well set.

Time to bring this thread back from the dead, work did indeed get in the way.

I have flown a few times with the Music City guys in Tennessee, and tested my new Altimeters. Both work perfectly, 4 flights each, now they are mounted on my new sled.

I will be building my Av-Bay this weekend, and will post pictures. Also painted the Rocket, crap paint job, but then I am no artist. May change it later, idk.

Well I have some good news and some not so good but not totally bad news.

The not so bad news....they found part of my old rocket....Nosecone and Tracker. Seems they came off up top hence why we never were able to track it. Still sad, but i'm over it.

The better news, I actually did something for the first time in months. Got my E-Bay put to together today. Tested by jamming wires in the terminal strips to simulate matches. Got 3 beeps from each after power up, so all good.

IMG_1362.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]

The Connectors are usually used in Cars/Industrial Equipment. Sealed units and they click and lock into place when pushed together.

Wire holes are going to be filled with silicone before i use it, Just need to add charge wells, and it will be all done.

Glad to see this thread is back up again. Keep up the good work. Those 3D printed sleds are awesome. I think I will get me one for my project.

Woo! Looking good! Now finish it and come fly it with us at SCORE!!!

We need another L3 guy :)

Dragon will do... Rob I used to live down there, flew with you guys a lot when i was in school. Now days I am over in Tennessee, but moving to Ohio at the end of the month. I may come down again, my parents still live there. Last i knew you guys had an 8k waiver down there, this thing will kiss that pretty dang close with a baby M. So I will probably go up north to NCR again. If i can find a day, work has not been kind to my hobby as of late.

On other news, found my eggfinder, but low and behold it smoked the instant i turned it on. So need to make a new one, gonna use the old as a template till I can get one in. Gonna just stuff it up in the nose cone, god know there is plenty of room. Then just sink some screws into the bulkhead to hold it in place and make it removable.

Did my ground testing today, video of lower section was corrupt, but i got the upper.

Used 3x 2-56 Shear Pins, 2.5g FFFg BP.

[video=youtube;i5atg8X9XX0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5atg8X9XX0[/video]

I am done for now, off to work once again, then moving to Ohio when i return in 2 weeks. I am ordering my motor and Case on Friday. M1830 C*.

There is still a Cert Special till Labor Day, got lucky with timing.

Did my ground testing today, video of lower section was corrupt, but i got the upper.

Used 3x 2-56 Shear Pins, 2.5g FFFg BP.

[video=youtube;i5atg8X9XX0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5atg8X9XX0[/video]

I am done for now, off to work once again, then moving to Ohio when i return in 2 weeks. I am ordering my motor and Case on Friday. M1830 C*.

There is still a Cert Special till Labor Day, got lucky with timing.

"Cert special"?????

Do tell!

Buy the reload get the associated case 50% off.

Go for it if you can.

Unfortunately life keeps throwing rocks in my path. My dog in her infinite wisdom tried jumping our fence and didn't make it in one piece. So my rocket money was donated to the vet clinic today.

Horriable timing.

Sorry about the dog!

Where is this cert special? Link please. CTI? Aerotech? Loki?

Thanks!

Buy the reload get the associated case 50% off.

Go for it if you can.

Unfortunately life keeps throwing rocks in my path. My dog in her infinite wisdom tried jumping our fence and didn't make it in one piece. So my rocket money was donated to the vet clinic today.

Horriable timing.

Your dog is more important than the rocket lad. Patience is a virtue and I'm sure you want your dog to be alive and healthy.

Offwegorocketry or AMWproX, both websites have the special listed. Just shoot them an Email

Its for Cesarnoi

Sinful - True, some days i wonder though. She is doing fine now, just laying around the house with the collar of shame on.

I am at work now, then moving to Ohio. Time to start looking for a new club up here somewhere.

Well the Vet bill wasn't as bad as i thought, so I will be getting my Motor and Case this weekend.

Hopefully go fly in Colorado in October. Then go out to BattlePark and make it my new home for some time. Or URRG, or Bong....All are equal driving distances lol.

Well the Vet bill wasn't as bad as i thought, so I will be getting my Motor and Case this weekend.

Hopefully go fly in Colorado in October. Then go out to BattlePark and make it my new home for some time. Or URRG, or Bong....All are equal driving distances lol.

You see, dont think negative. You have your dog recovering and you still get to do what you want. Good luck on the flight.

I'm going to up my shear pins to 4-40, the upper section weight might be a bit much for the 2-56.

With Northern Colorado's weather being poor, no rain, I have asked my L3CC if i could fly out of the Northeast somewhere since its a lot closer to my new home. So as of right now the plan is to Fly out of BattlePark over Halloween weekend,Certifying L3CC to be Mitch Guess.

Also in good news, Dog is doing well, still eating and getting fatter, soon wont be able to jump an inch let alone my 4 ft fence.

And I got final loan approval on my house, closing Friday, moving Next week!!!!!! *I will be at work while the father-in-law and wife pack the truck and move it all.* I just get to unpack!!! Lucky me, though she will probably kill my fish.....

Latest posts

Back