Outlander-How to convert to 24 mm engine mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike116

Reaction score
I've got an Outlander that's been waiting to be built in my basement for a number of years. I've finally gotten the itch to finally put it together. However, I am seeing a lot of folks indicating that a conversion to a 24 mm engine mount in order to fly it on a D or E engine is the way to go.

I've never converted anything, so this is new to me. When I look at the engine mount in the package, it is a considerably longer length tube than the traditional mounts I've done. (It's on a BT 20). If I want to convert this to a 24 mm, how or what type of body tube am I getting to do it? when I look online there are a number of 24 mm engine mount kits but they are much smaller in length than what this kit is calling for here.

The engine mount looks very unique to this kit (wood dowel, multiple centering rings with holes), so I'm asking for details as to how some of you converted this to a 24 mm.

Thanks!

Mike

I haven't built an Outlander, but the basics are easy.
I keep a pile of parts handy for this kind of thing. Centering rings from Qualman and 24mm (BT-50) tubes. If you are using a motor hook, you will need a longer one for E motors (95mm). Cut a 1" piece of used 24mm motor casing (no nozzle) to use as a spacer for C-D motors.
Assemble the mount per instructions but using the 24mm parts.

Here is how I did mine. It was for D engines only. E9's were the only BP 24mm E motors available at the time and wouldn't have been suitable for something as heavy and draggy as an outlander.

EDIT: you could probably use C11-3's in this as it would have more kick than a C6-3.

For the picture below, Build the motor mount according to instructions but instead of using the green 2050 ring to hold the engine hook, glue it up against the bottom centering ring and cut off excess tube. then assemble the 24mm motor tube and glue it to the green ring.

Last edited:
I built my Outlander stock and did not convert it. If you don't overbuild, it will give you a low and slow flight on a C6-3 but I will admit it's marginal. I have flown it on an Aerotech D21-4T and it was fantastic. So my advice is either convert it to fly black powder Estes D motors or don't convert it but fly it on 18mm Aerotech D's. The other thing I learned the hard way with this one is to ditch the cheap plastic pararchute and use a good ripstop 18 incher, the rocket is too heavy for the one it comes with and your shroud lines will break for sure. Oh one other thing I just remembered- don't use the flimsy plastic tubing for the leg joints. Get a hold of some R/c blue fuel tubing as it is much stronger. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! Much food for thought. I think I might try GlennW's thought first by using the Aerotech D's. If that doesn't work to my satisfaction, then I'll jump in and do the conversion. So, thank you also to Bob and Mike above for their conversion specifics.

Glenn, when you mention the R/C blue fuel tubing, is this what you mean: https://www.hobbylinc.com/rc-airplane-fuel-lines

Thanks again!

Right. you want the Silicone fuel line, not the Tygon stuff.
Rex

FWIW, I converted mine to 29mm.... it took a lot of modification, I even had to make a custom engine retainer. Anyway, converting to 24mm should be not too difficult. Just replace the 18mm MMT tube with a 24mm one and the correct centering rings. You might need to add just a tad of nose weight. It's been a while since I did mine, but this shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

Hey Mike, The Outlander is definitely a cool rocket! :cool: I too, have read where the rocket performs terribly on the C6-3 engine. It is not the easiest to modify tho! The Big Bertha is def easier to modify!

I'm stuck on my Outlander trying to mod the 24mm engine mount in. The engine nozzle is a specific piece of engineering and makes it impossible to fit a 24mm engine through it. So one must modify this plastic piece to enlarge the hole. The 4 holes for the elastic legs get (mostly) cutoff - making them unusable!?

Can someone (everyone!) post PICS! of (and/or explain) how you moded/fabed this part? :)

Thanks all!

Pat

Hi Mike,

I just flew my 24mm conversion and the two flights are listed on RocketReviews (under Ken E. Coyote):
https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-outlander-modded-fins--24mm-mmt.html

This is a fairly difficult build by itself, so I wouldn't recommend you try the conversion until you have more experience with other rockets and conversions. I did the conversion using a 24mm engine mount from my parts bins and cutting/adjusting the stock parts (ex. centering rings had hole enlarged and plastic nozzle had center drilled out using a drill press with a hole cutter). I also addressed the floppy fins/legs with balsa shims. Don't forget to add more nose weight if converting to 24mm.

This is a beautiful kit, no longer made and one of the most difficult ones I can think of (don't be fooled by the Skill Level 3 branding), so I would recommend you do what I did and consider this a "back burner kit" and take the time to make it come out right.

Gravity isn't very forgiving and doesn't care that you spent 20 hours painting the rocket in separate sub assemblies. :wink:

Best regards,
Ken

Last edited:
Back