Toilet Seats

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
Yeah, I did a search and found little to nothing. So, what do you men folk think? There was a time when being married was part of my scenario, and generally, the women in my life had expectations. I've always struggled with the one about expecting the man's attention to leaving the seat down after having used the commode. I view this as a spoil, that women expect. (watching for lightening bolts)

I am almost certain, that if she was at someone else's place, she'd check for that....eh? Why do they think it's an obligation on a mans part to make sure they are protected from the, "ass gobbling porcelain throne?"

I'll sum this up with an opinion some of you will not agree on, but it's always been in the back of your mind. If they can can manipulate you into believing it's a requirement, you are easily controllable.

Thank god I don't deal with that kind of insignificant importance these days. Counting my blessings again.

I always put the seat AND the lid down before I flush. I watched the Mythbusters episode where they showed what happens when you flush a toilet. Not pretty. Really not pretty. "Stuff" from the toilet bowl goes everywhere - the mist lands on the toilet, on the sink, on your toothbrush. Everywhere.

And putting the lid down annoys my wife - so its a double win.

Yeah, I did a search and found little to nothing. So, what do you men folk think? There was a time when being married was part of my scenario, and generally, the women in my life had expectations. I've always struggled with the one about expecting the man's attention to leaving the seat down after having used the commode. I view this as a spoil, that women expect. (watching for lightening bolts)

I am almost certain, that if she was at someone else's place, she'd check for that....eh? Why do they think it's an obligation on a mans part to make sure they are protected from the, "ass gobbling porcelain throne?"

I'll sum this up with an opinion some of you will not agree on, but it's always been in the back of your mind. If they can can manipulate you into believing it's a requirement, you are easily controllable.

Thank god I don't deal with that kind of insignificant importance these days. Counting my blessings again.

...just remind her there are those that don't have a crapper to crap in...they covet our crappers....the next World War will be over the hoarding of crappers...just say, "Cheeze, there's a man in the house and don't you know enough to look?" and duck the flying missiles ;)

My glasses are kept on a shelf on the cabinet over the toilet. I always close the lid to ensure they don't go swimming. Saved them at least two times.

I advise everybody who comes to my household: "If I need the seat down, I put it down. If I need the seat up, I put it up. I've been doing this my entire life. It is not difficult"

Other statements you are likely to hear:
"Yes, the kitchen counters are high. We are tall people and we had them put in to suit us."
"Yes, it is cool in the house. The thermostats are set for the comfort of the residents. Dress accordingly"

In certain aircraft, it is required to close the knife valve before flushing.

Otherwise, you will be wearing the contents of the toilet.

Seems like putting down the seat and lid is a no brainer.

Of course, maybe you like covering your bathroom in fecal matter.

FC

I always put the seat AND the lid down before I flush. I watched the Mythbusters episode where they showed what happens when you flush a toilet. Not pretty. Really not pretty. "Stuff" from the toilet bowl goes everywhere - the mist lands on the toilet, on the sink, on your toothbrush. Everywhere.

What he said... ^

I'm reminded of a saying I've heard on occasion: "Women. You can't live with 'em and they can't pee standing up."

Seems relevant to the conversation.

My glasses are kept on a shelf on the cabinet over the toilet. I always close the lid to ensure they don't go swimming. Saved them at least two times.

I've seen toilet tanks with every square inch covered with bottles. Actually it's usually every thing except the couple of square inches that were taken up by the bottle that fell into the bowl that I'm trying to retrieve with a snake.

I'm indifferent about leaving the seat and/or lid up or down. However, I'd like to point out that there are seats that don't slam when you close them that make the process more pleasant.

I advise everybody who comes to my household: "If I need the seat down, I put it down. If I need the seat up, I put it up. I've been doing this my entire life. It is not difficult"

Other statements you are likely to hear:
"Yes, the kitchen counters are high. We are tall people and we had them put in to suit us."
"Yes, it is cool in the house. The thermostats are set for the comfort of the residents. Dress accordingly"

:clap:

You're right, I guess I am easily controllable. What should I do about that?

Whatever she tells you to do about it.

As a part of a pre-medical school, we ran an experiment on which surfaces are more dirty in a home and office.

The results were alarming. It is not the toilet or the floor of your bathroom. In reality, you would be better off eating you lunch off that floor than in from of you computer or at your desk.

Germophobes (I know it is not a word) can now get the heebeegeebees.

[video=youtube;NP4O6l5zbN4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP4O6l5zbN4[/video]

You're right, I guess I am easily controllable. What should I do about that?

If you are content, do nothing. It's your prerogative.

Yeah, I saw that episode also, but here’s a little food for thought. Something the Mythbusters may not have considered. What if the toilet in the bathroom where you shower and brush your teeth, rarely to almost never gets used? I have a ½ bath downstairs that gets used 99% of the time. The commode upstairs might go a week or two and not get used. Seat and lid are always down on that one. But, between cleanings, I have noticed little areas in the full bath that may not get cleaned regularly, like the window sill, the blinds and now and again where a water droplet has dried and left an amber colored stain, of sorts. The blinds and window sill had developed a bit of staining as well.

The Mythbusters theory about the commode may be plausible, but I suggest a bigger and more than likely culprit here. Consider the steam from taking showers, and what it might carry to all areas of your bathroom. Dead skin cells, body oils, micro fecal matter….etc. Since I rarely use that commode, I don’t think it’s to blame. For what it’s worth, my downstairs ½ bath never gets those little stains.

I believe in equality of the sexes... that comes with some caveats that women don't like, but that's just too bad for them...

What it means is, If you want me to put the seat up, then YOU (the female) can put it back down (and leave it down). After all, who's to say that *I* (or any other male) might not be the next one to use the can again, and why should *they* have to put the seat back up (and back down again according to screwed up woman thinking??) If you want to make sure the seat is up when a guy pees, then THEY should put the seat up, if you expect me to put it down when I'm through. IOW, one or the other, NOT BOTH. Leaving the seat down isn't a problem for a guy anyway... it's the women that get all hot and bothered by it... so IMHO it's their problem, they can "fix" it... THE WOMAN can put the seat up when she's done (if she wants to make sure that no guy "pees on the seat", AND she can make sure it's back down before she plops her big butt down on the porcelain throne...) Being a fair guy, I AM willing to "meet them halfway" and either put the seat up myself, or put it down for them, BUT NOT BOTH. That's only fair...

The same thing goes "on the job". It p!sses me off royally when on a job, the expectations are higher for a man than for a woman... When I was at the nuclear plant, we'd get a truckload of compressed gas cylinders (welding cylinders, liquid or compressed nitrogen gas cylinders, etc) and the MEN were assigned to wrestle the heavy cylinders off the truck and move them around, while the GIRLS were sent to count washers or some other total fluff job. When I was driving a schoolbus, I had a fellow WOMAN driver, who thought that the MEN drivers on a field trip should unload the coolers and boxes of lunches or anything else being transported on the trip from HER bus... Sorry, but that's not how it works... I told her, "I believe in women's lib... don't YOU?? You get paid the SAME amount of money that I do (more actually due to her seniority pay) so you can unload your own bus, just as I unload mine!" This didn't sit well with "Precious", who replied, "But men are stronger... you men should unload my bus because as a woman I'm not as strong..." I thought about it a second, and said, "So you're saying you're less able to do the job than I am, because I'm a guy and stronger than you are, correct... so if that's true, then *I* should be making more money than you-- after all, I'm doing PART OF YOUR JOB by unloading your bus for you... WHY should I be expected to do that FOR FREE simply because "I'm a stronger guy, and you're a weaker woman??" If what you say is true, then WHY are you making as much money as I am, for DOING LESS WORK?? Since we're getting paid THE SAME, it's only fair to expect you to do THE SAME WORK, regardless of "who's stronger"... that's equality, and it cuts both ways sister! Therefore, you can unload your own d@mn bus!" Same thing with the chicks getting to count washers while the guys have to lug 100 pound cylinders off the truck... if the chicks "can't hack it" unloading the heavy stuff, then they should be making less money than the guys, or they should be working in the typing pool or whatever...

I for one am SICK AND TIRED of women having it both ways... In my house, if momma wants the toilet seat up or down, SHE can do it... it's HER problem, she can work it out. That's just how it is, PERIOD!

Later! OL JR :)

I put the seat and the lid down before I flush, but the reason is mostly to keep my Cats and Dog out of it.:)

I left the seat as I used it (clean) as a kid.
Lived with my folks long enough that my mother has developed some bathroom issues. Seat was put down.
Lives alone when I got my house. Seat still went was put down as a habit.
Live with a cat now. Seat AND lid go down to keep kitty out. I'm sure curiosity would wear off, but I do not want her exploring that area even once.

Scenarios vary. Act accordingly.

I grew up in a house with Mom, Dad, and three older brothers. For those of you keeping score, that means Five men, and One woman.

The toilet seat was always down.

Mom wanted it that way, and Dad backed her up.

And no one wanted to mess with Dad.

It was, and is, a matter of respect for the fairer sex.

Besides, I am also one of those people who do not turn lights on anywhere in my house if I get up in the middle of the night. Once, when living in my apartment, long before I was married, I sat on a commode with the lid up in the dark of night. Generally, even when I lived alone, I made an effort to keep the seat down when not in use.

And the final, best reason to keep the seat down, then, now, and always is the oldest rule of all...

If Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy.

"The Art of War" battle of the sexes.....

pick your battles guys. This one's not worth it.

I learned along time ago, just leave the seat down, ALL the time.
Gotta pee , sit to do it! Just as easy as bending over twice to lift, then put down the seat.

Woman folk will love you for it! No more complaining about cleaning up splashes, how lazy you are, inconsiderate, etc.

Ps: side benefit.....they get lulled into complacency , so very now & then [usually April 1st] I leave it up at night and get awakened by the scream of a butt hitting cold water.LOL

I grew up in a house with Mom, Dad, and three older brothers. For those of you keeping score, that means Five men, and One woman.

The toilet seat was always down.

Mom wanted it that way, and Dad backed her up.

And no one wanted to mess with Dad.

It was, and is, a matter of respect for the fairer sex.

Besides, I am also one of those people who do not turn lights on anywhere in my house if I get up in the middle of the night. Once, when living in my apartment, long before I was married, I sat on a commode with the lid up in the dark of night. Generally, even when I lived alone, I made an effort to keep the seat down when not in use.

And the final, best reason to keep the seat down, then, now, and always is the oldest rule of all...

If Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy.

Oh, please...

All that "fairer sex" and "chivalry" crap went out 100 years ago...

Or well it should have...

If that's how you want to live, that's fine, more power to you... For the rest of us who've joined the 21st century...

later! OL JR :)

Oh, please...

All that "fairer sex" and "chivalry" crap went out 100 years ago...

Or well it should have...

If that's how you want to live, that's fine, more power to you... For the rest of us who've joined the 21st century...

later! OL JR :)

That "chivalry crap" and the art of being a gentleman have never gone out of style.

I stand up at work all day long unless I'm at lunch (30 mins) or in my svc truck on the way to a call, so yep, I sit down when I can. Nice to take a load off every now and then :eek:
Plus no excess sprinkles, which keeps the GF happy at her home.

Adrian (who probably just lost his man card :sad: )

if you keep the lid down(when not in use) your cat(the four legged variety) will 'thank you'. you really don't want to see the result of a cat bath :).
Rex

Reminds when I worked in NATO. We gauges what countries would actually fight based on two things. First, were they wine swillers or beer drinkers? Beer drinkers (Brits, Canadians, Germans, Dutch, Turks, and Americans) would fight. Others would have a sale on once dropped rifles.

Secondly, did they have flush toilets and toilet paper? Same countries apply. Anyone ever used a bomb dropper in a flight suit?

Mike

Back