Estes Altimeter help ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeddy11

Reaction score
Hi yet another estes altimeter thread problem ! Have searched but can't find the answer.

I have purchased one of these on ebay quite cheaply ! (probably answers my question) But i can't get it to take a reading on any launch, I have pressed the buttion so it resets to 0000 then it flashes back to 0ft as the instructions say then i have launched it inside my rockets with large pressures holes drilled and nothing it comes back with 0ft and nothing in memory.

I also sent it up connected to the out side of my amazon as it has large plastic launch lugs to avoid the pressure problems and it still came down with no readings ? is there anything i can do ??

james

Hi yet another estes altimeter thread problem ! Have searched but can't find the answer.

I have purchased one of these on ebay quite cheaply ! (probably answers my question) But i can't get it to take a reading on any launch, I have pressed the buttion so it resets to 0000 then it flashes back to 0ft as the instructions say then i have launched it inside my rockets with large pressures holes drilled and nothing it comes back with 0ft and nothing in memory.

I also sent it up connected to the out side of my amazon as it has large plastic launch lugs to avoid the pressure problems and it still came down with no readings ? is there anything i can do ??

james

Buy a Jolly Logic Altimeter Two.

I launched my Estes altimeter 4 times and never got a reading from it. I used it in rockets that were set up for the Altimeter Two, so I know the rockets were configured properly. I ground tested it and did get it to work, so I know it can detect changes in air pressure. I thought about taping it to the outside of a rocket like you did, but the battery was dead the last time I checked it out. I took it out of my range box and I am done with it. Another guy in my club bought an Estes altimeter and never got it to work either. Some people have good luck with them, but not me. The Jolly Logic stuff is great and easy to use... and it works.

james
I've had two of them, one lost on a lost rocket, and both worked fine. You should definitely contact Estes about this. If they don't officially know there's an issue, it will never be fixed. It might be bad accelerometer ICs or something related to their attachment to the PCB (like bad solder joints). Analysis at Estes might reveal the problem. I know that careful handling prior to launch is required to avoid false launch detection via acceleration forces while handling.

Last edited:
I tried mine twice last summer and didn't get any readings, so I e-mailed Estes. The gentleman I corresponded with suggested I ground test it. When I did, it worked fine. He said the problem might be due to rough edges on the vent holes in my rocket. The holes I had were very rough so I cleaned them up and I am now waiting for the temperature to rise above 0 to test it again.
E-mail Estes and they will help you out. Had mine not worked when I ground tested, I was told they would fix or replace it. Very good, prompt service!

That it didn't work even when attached to the outside kind of messes up my standard answer to this problem (which I've had and which I've seen a lot). My standard answer is "make the static ports bigger".

Estes will likely replace it for you if you get in touch....but a better answer is a Jolly Logic device (or if you have payload sections in your models, the PerfectFlite FireFly).

Being in the UK i can t seem to get a jolly logic without taking a hit on postage i have emailed estes but i have also initiated a dispute on ebay to send it back and i will purchase one from a local shop (full price) then i can take it back easily if it doesn't / stops working :)

Thanks for ideas

Mine was junk. Trashed it after the 2nd flight. Never got it to work right. Now using a Perfectflite Fire Fly. $23. I just wrap it in foam and tape to shock cord.

Top marks for estes to reply to my email and offer some fixes and offer to replace :) Have taken it back to where i purchased it for a new one and it at least works in the hand cupped pressure test !!
thanks
james

Back