Launch clips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually get mine from Radio Shack because they have the ones with teeth in them. Better hurry though, RS is biting the dust. Use a wire tooth brush to clean them. But they're not going to last forever.

I usually get mine from Radio Shack because they have the ones with teeth in them. Better hurry though, RS is biting the dust. Use a wire tooth brush to clean them. But they're not going to last forever.

This is actually for a club, the model rocket bank leads don't last more than a few launches anymore...probably because they are made in china....

Too much of what we can buy is made in China! No doubt that these clips are too. But they look just like the clips they use at the club launches I go to. And these hold up pretty well. Very unlike those Estes sells that have the flat heads on them.

On this topic, it was recommended to me that I get solid copper clips--where would I find something like that?

Why, Digi-Key, of course...thanks!

You're welcome

the model rocket bank leads don't last more than a few launches anymore

I think the main problem with model rocket pads are the short Estes igniter leads. Those clips are getting hit with a full blast of engine exhaust most of the time. The best way to keep them clean is to extend the lead length and connect the clips under the blast shields but that's not really practical at most launches.

Steve G

These might be a good choice

Stainless steel clips

Nice find! Just ordered a couple of dozen. Will compare to the copper clips at our launch next month.:)

Steve G

CMASS uses stainless steel clips. We used to purchase them from NARTS https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/store.asp?groupid=81620092133327 but Al's source is cheaper. We get many hundreds and probably over 1,000 launches per clip. You need special (silver) solder and special stainless steel flux but considering that we launch between 3,000 to 5,000 rockets per year and the clip leads last several seasons there's nothing better. Simply use sanding screen before each launch and they seem to last forever as it's the wire insulation near the clips that fails first.

Bob

Latest posts

Back