2015 Rocketry Goals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Break 1 mile
Break 10K/2 miles
Break mach 1
Fly my first 38mm motor (✓)
Fly my first "large" I motor
Fly DD in 38mm rockets (✓)
Pass my HAM radio test (✓)
Fly and get good at using a tracker (✓)
Fly my first CTI motors (✓)
Use a cable cutter for the first time (✓)
Go to LDRS!
Fly more NS than last year.
Buy something from Semroc

Nate

Alright, so I'm making steady progress as well!

I've flown a couple 38s, so that's checked off
Flew Redshift DD, so that's taken care of,
Passed my HAM test
I've flown a tracker, and would consider myself at least "partially proficient"
I've flown a couple CI motors now
And, I got two cable cutter flights in, with one deploying early, and the other deploying well but landing in a tree... I'll cross it off...

Nate

1. Get my first DD flight in. [DONE! First and second were both sucessful]

2. Do a tip to tip fin treatment on my October Skies XP. [Getting closer as weather is warming up]

3. Get my L2 certification. [L2 exam and cert flight rained out - now waiting for fall or early spring in California]

4. Get a tracking system for my birds. [Still doing research on which setup to buy, ham license is a goal]

Complete L3 rocket

Test flight or two July/August at Bong

L3 at Midwest Power assuming all goes well with test flights.

Finish AV bay for Wildchild.

1. Get my first DD flight in. [DONE! First and second were both sucessful]

2. Do a tip to tip fin treatment on my October Skies XP. [Getting closer as weather is warming up]

3. Get my L2 certification. [L2 exam and cert flight rained out - now waiting for fall or early spring in California]

4. Get a tracking system for my birds. [Still doing research on which setup to buy, ham license is a goal]

Get an EggFinder with the LCD receiver and work with it. Reason: It's much more economical than the Ham Radio solutions and it will help you find your rockets now. Don't get me wrong, I'm a ham and APRS track too but the cost is stiff if you
want an all-in-one automatic tracking, "navigating to" solution. If you want that, a Kenwood D72A and a used Garmin 60CsX with an interface cable will make up the receiving station with a 70cm Beeline GPS APRS tracker.
The Kenwood will set you back $450.00, used Garmin ~$200.00 Beeline GPS $215.00. So that is a sizable layout but one can lock the Garmin on their rocket and the Heading Situation Indicator will point to the rocket waypoint plus show you on a map. The 60CsX has a "sight 'n go" feature that lets you shoot a line to a descending rocket and will allow you to walk a line to the rocket. Helpful for LPR,MPR and HPR if you can see the descent. Shoot the line just before it
touches down. I saw a downed rocket on the other side of two deep drainage ditches that I couldn't walk through. I pulled out the mapping GPS and shot a nice clear line to the rocket and then had to walk way the heck to the west,
out of sight of the rocket, to crossover. I just followed the line on the HSI and it took me to the rocket. The rocket didn't have a tracker of any kind in it.
Stay away from used D7A's. I have two of them and the frequency oscillators are going out of spec on both of them. Can't receive and decode signals anymore. Not worth ~$100.00 for repair.

You can cut back on the receiving station and use a Mobilinkd TNC that you bind to your Android device and use APRSDroid. That will set you back $70.00, use free APRSDroid with the free maps and any ham radio H/T and you can have a budget station that
doesn't do the "auto-navigation" stuff but will work. Beeline GPS off course on top of that.

Sounds like alot of $$$$ but 7 years ago the Ham Radio solution was more economical than the 900Mhz unlicensed systems available at the time. I still recommend getting you Tech license because you can learn about plain RDF tracking that people still do.
Just gives you a bearing but the trackers can be cheaper and if you use an H/T with a simple offset attenuator is very serviceable. An XFM-1 rocket transmitter is low powered but I get about 1200' range on the ground. Can't beat $15.00 to play around with it and works for large modrocs. Of course the commercial RDF setups can run close to the cost of a GPS tracker setup. Me, I want to know where it's at, go get it directly, bring it back and fly the next rocket. I don't like running around looking for an errant rocket because that means less time for flying. If you live in the Midwest where flight opportunities may not present themselves for some time, you want to fly as much as you can. Looking for lost rockets is not time well spent as far as flying goes.

I've found 5 "lost" rockets quickly that would not have been found by me that day. The APRS setup has paid for itself from the recovered hardware I likely would have lost.

You can to alot of that with an EggFinder with the LCD receiver and a handheld mapping GPS now. Don't wait to get your ham ticket if you don't want to. Kurt

Well here goes

Finish L3 rocket

Test fly L3 rocket

Hopefully have money and time
to travel to do my L3 feet as I cannot do it at Bong.

Other than that have some fun.

+1 Whut he said...

Adrian

Way things are going right now, I'll just go with "fly a rocket."

Mission accomplished. Got my L motor test vehicle rocket from Mr Dixon. Flew a L motor at a COLD club launch. Got my L3 rocket built (even managed to do a build thread (my first!) and post pictures!). Flew my L3 rocket successfully at the May club launch extravaganza.
Now I can just coast until MWP :facepalm:
Actually I need to paint the L3 rocket now that it earned it :wink:

Adrian

Get an EggFinder with the LCD receiver and work with it. Reason: It's much more economical than the Ham Radio solutions and it will help you find your rockets now. Don't get me wrong, I'm a ham and APRS track too but the cost is stiff if you
want an all-in-one automatic tracking, "navigating to" solution. If you want that, a Kenwood D72A and a used Garmin 60CsX with an interface cable will make up the receiving station with a 70cm Beeline GPS APRS tracker.
The Kenwood will set you back $450.00, used Garmin ~$200.00 Beeline GPS $215.00. So that is a sizable layout but one can lock the Garmin on their rocket and the Heading Situation Indicator will point to the rocket waypoint plus show you on a map. The 60CsX has a "sight 'n go" feature that lets you shoot a line to a descending rocket and will allow you to walk a line to the rocket. Helpful for LPR,MPR and HPR if you can see the descent. Shoot the line just before it
touches down. I saw a downed rocket on the other side of two deep drainage ditches that I couldn't walk through. I pulled out the mapping GPS and shot a nice clear line to the rocket and then had to walk way the heck to the west,
out of sight of the rocket, to crossover. I just followed the line on the HSI and it took me to the rocket. The rocket didn't have a tracker of any kind in it.
Stay away from used D7A's. I have two of them and the frequency oscillators are going out of spec on both of them. Can't receive and decode signals anymore. Not worth ~$100.00 for repair.

You can cut back on the receiving station and use a Mobilinkd TNC that you bind to your Android device and use APRSDroid. That will set you back $70.00, use free APRSDroid with the free maps and any ham radio H/T and you can have a budget station that
doesn't do the "auto-navigation" stuff but will work. Beeline GPS off course on top of that.

Sounds like alot of $$$$ but 7 years ago the Ham Radio solution was more economical than the 900Mhz unlicensed systems available at the time. I still recommend getting you Tech license because you can learn about plain RDF tracking that people still do.
Just gives you a bearing but the trackers can be cheaper and if you use an H/T with a simple offset attenuator is very serviceable. An XFM-1 rocket transmitter is low powered but I get about 1200' range on the ground. Can't beat $15.00 to play around with it and works for large modrocs. Of course the commercial RDF setups can run close to the cost of a GPS tracker setup. Me, I want to know where it's at, go get it directly, bring it back and fly the next rocket. I don't like running around looking for an errant rocket because that means less time for flying. If you live in the Midwest where flight opportunities may not present themselves for some time, you want to fly as much as you can. Looking for lost rockets is not time well spent as far as flying goes.

I've found 5 "lost" rockets quickly that would not have been found by me that day. The APRS setup has paid for itself from the recovered hardware I likely would have lost.

You can to alot of that with an EggFinder with the LCD receiver and a handheld mapping GPS now. Don't wait to get your ham ticket if you don't want to. Kurt

Thanks for the advice, Kurt!

I did a cut/paste and saved the text file in my "Rocketry Documents" folder on the PC.

Get my Darkstar 3 and Punisher painted, both have earned their paint.
Start to build and paint low power fleet, to many to name
Fly my 2 stage Shape Shifter jr
Hit Mach 1
Hit 1 mile, maybe 2
Fly my first K motor
Set up Darkstar 3 for redundant deployment.

Have fun and attend more launches.

1. Break 1 mile altitude.
2. L3
3. Fly at Midwest Power.

Goal 1 completed today but not a perfect flight. Reached 6,183 feet with my Wildman Darkstar 4" DD on a K635. But my main came out at apogee so it was a long walk for recovery. Need to add another shear pin to nose cone.

1. Fly my first reloadable motor (check. Motor worked fine, rocket didn't).

2. Fly my first composite-powered MD rocket.

3. Break 2 km (same flight as 2)

4. Get my Level 1.

5. Do my first DD flight (same rocket as level 1. Cert flight may be electronic single-deploy).

6. Repair the rocket from goal #1 and fly it successfully.

1- Get L1 Accomplished
2- Learn DD One DD flight down
3- Get L2
4- Go to a black rock launch
5- Have fun In progress
6- ?

For everyone wanting to break mach 1 & 2, please take a look at what I have to offer you to accomplish these goals.
My goals are as follows.
Some pretty awesome goals. I love seeing more 120 loads. As for M1, see below :)

To that end I've built or have parts for four 38mm MMT rockets with 2.6" or 54mm bodies.
I'd like to mix and fly a 38/240
Finally get around to breaking mach

-Flew the 2.6" screech on a LOKI K1127 to 8750' and 826 MPH. Hell of a first Machbuster. :)
-Had a pair of 38/240's made by DanP, starting to track down chems to finally mix some. Also grabbed a Loki 54/1600 New goal for 2015 is putting a load into that.

2016 goals are starting to build up as 2015's goals are falling. L3 in a Wildman Extreme, and build a 2.6" rocket powered by a 54/2800

Build and fly a rocket for an engine bigger than a D12-5. Rocketry can be affordable or expensive as one wants to make it. I've been keeping rocketry on the budget level and now I'm ready to move up to the BIG E...:)

One of my goals was to do MACH.. which happened at ROCstock

15,178 ft a new personal best and 2023 (baro alt) feet per second in the PunisheR on a CTI K1440 WT.

Still havent used my 75mm hardware and want to L3 this year also.

Kenny

Attended LDRS - actually still there hoping for rain to stop and do a few more flights
Flew the DMS L100 and broke 5000' (got to 8300+)

I saw that flight for sure Les....
Absolutely smokin,, screamin,, truckin.......

Very cool flight Les...........

Teddy

To obtain the 1/45th scale Centuri Little Joe II. Had one when I was a kid though not all engines lit. You can guess what happened.

1) L2...rocket and motor ready. Completed in March with Arapahoe-J.
2) 1 Mile...multiple capable rockets, just need waiver. Achieved Today with Cherokee-I on a J570W to 7275'.
3) 38 mm MD from a tower...tower done, fiberglassing tubes underway.
4) Mach 1...should come along with the other goals. Achieved Today with Cherokee-I on a J570W to Mach 1.03.*
5) Attend Airfest

This is a soft list. The one's that happen, great. The one's that don't, that is waht 2016 is for.

*No, I don't care if this is "too close to be absolutely sure with a Baro Altimeter"...Scoreboard!

Updating the list from post 50 in this thread
6 months into 2015...

Obtain L3.
Completed!

Exceed 20k AGL (any rocket)
Completed! Both with 75mm L3 cert flight, and 54mm Min Diameter flights.

Exceed 20k AGL with 54mm motor.
Completed!

Exceed Mach 2
Not completed yet... May still be obtainable with 54mm bird with a fast motor, but expect it will certainly with L3 rocket.

Build pile reduction/Progress
Wildman Darkstar 2-stage still unbuilt. Pterodactyl Jr Built, unflown.

NXRS - DONE!
BALLS

Progress...
  • Attend NARAM-57...and win something - Build frenzy in progress, registered and have hotel...on target. Now just have to win :)
  • Doing OK with lathe, so get mini mill and learn to use it - keeping lathe busy, mill still waiting
  • L3 - fall project, this will take a push
  • Get treatment for LPR/HPR multiple personality disorder - futile
  • Devise foolproof money laundering system for rocketry expenses - working so far!!:D

Start recording altimeter readings on my flight logs.
Attend ROCtober
Launch anything bigger than a E9-6
Photograph better off the pad launches
Build/fly more rockets than last year
Nartrek-complete silver cert.
L1 Cert.

Goals with realistic targets

- L2, set for LDRS
- test and learn redundant configurations, currently testing
- break Mach 1, LDRS
- break 10K, 15K LDRS
- learn how to use the GPS trackers effectively, currently testing
- finish build pile before I buy another rocket, ongoing should be done by end of year
- rocketry related, get my basic HAM, end of March

And finally...BURN THROUGH SOME AP!

Man the pressure is on, I didn't realize that I would have to followup on this one but it seems that a lot of you are making your goals. So here goes.

- L2, set for LDRS Successfully completed @ LDRS day 2 @ 13:30
- test and learn redundant configurations, currently testing asked a lot of questions and have successfully used electronic redundant configurations on 3 flights
- break Mach 1, LDRS according to my dual altimeter data I hit Mach 1.3 on my L2 flight
- break 10K, 15K LDRS according to my dual altimeters I averaged 15,960 but my TeleGPS says 16,600, bottom line I am now a member of the 3 mile club
- learn how to use the GPS trackers effectively, currently testing have only had one chance to use the TeleGPS but it was successful and incredibly easy
- finish build pile before I buy another rocket, ongoing should be done by end of year working on it, but I just purchased components for my first scratch, this might be my hardest goal to hit...its a sickness!
- rocketry related, get my basic HAM, end of March yeah good intentions, bought the books, studied a bit, but fell off the wagon. I will revise for end of year or even spring 2016, based on everything else that is going on.

And finally...BURN THROUGH SOME AP! Getting through my stock-pile but have a bunch left over from LDRS so I now need to find excuses to head back down to Potters :grin:

I'm hoping to find the top of my workbench and convince my family to stop piling crap on top (and in front) of it.

I've been working on that for two years now...

Goals for 2015 are simple:

-Build and fly something (for once!...tons of waiting projects...)

-Finish converting my shed to my workshop (in order to build and fly something)

-Don't forget to renew my TRA membership to maintain my L2 (so I can fly something...well, H or up, which is going to be the majority:))

-Catch up on the new DMS motors (notably H45, I65, H550 and G125)

It will happen.

Back