2015 Rocketry Goals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually ask myself this question in December of each year. This year I had some grand plans that quickly went astray due to weather and other SNAFUs:
- Fly an M or larger motor every month,
- Fly a new "virgin" rocket every month,
- Fly a two stage high power rocket,
- Fly an N motor,
- Fly more Loki motors,
- 3D print an upscaled version of the "nosecone" of the Asteroid Hunter/Cobra, and
- Release my sketch for an RF beacon built around the really cheap Anarduino MiniWireless boards.

My goals exemplify my signature line.
-Get L1 with FG scratch built in sparky drag race (4/18/15)
-Get L2 with FG scratch built (4/18/15)
-Complete rev 1 hardware for new ultra capable altimeter
-Complete successful dual deployment test flight of new altimeter
-Complete successful control parachute reefing recovery with new altimeter
-Begin build for testing active stabilization with new altimeter
-Begin hardware design for remote deployment with new altimeter

We'll see how far I get

Blow the dust off my collection and fly more this year.
Fly a couple of Ls that I've had for a awhile.
Get my DD skills back up to snuff.
Break 10K ( altitude , not money spent in one year.)
Put a serious dent in my kit pile.
Put a serious dent in my motor pile.

That's all

Take care,

Duane

My list of goals is small. Hopefully that will allow me to complete the list. *fingers crossed*

1. Get my first DD flight in.

The rocket is ready and I've prepared the Firewire Initiator charge holders for running the drogue charge down inside the booster (blow it OUT, right?). Just need to do a ground test or two and I'm ready for the next month's launch although rain is predicted for that day.

2. Do a tip to tip fin treatment on my October Skies XP.

Have never done any fiberglass work on rockets any it's been many years since I did any fiberglass work at all. I've got the fin jig, the templates, the rotary cutter, the cloth, peel ply, and bleeder. All I need now is for the weather to warm up a bit so I can work in the unheated shop.

3. Get my L2 certification.

With DD behind me, the obvious next step is to get certified for Level 2. Already have a Frenzy, a Wildman BlackStar, and Wildman Punisher so the 54mm motors are calling.

4. Get a tracking system for my birds.

Level 2 and I will need a tracker. I'd rather walk right to the rocket than roam over the hills or trhough the cotton fields. I'm no longer a spring chicken.

Main goal: NARTrek Bronze, Silver, & Gold
Push goal: L1 / DD

Fly the ones that I've built/building this winter.

I'm hoping to get that Level 3 I've been working on for a few years, now.

Other miscellaneous projects/milestones I'm shooting for:
-First radio tracking flight (Eggfinder!)
-First active control flight (drag modulation for apogee targeting)
-First national launch (NSL) :w:
-First HPR MD rocket

Last edited:
I think I'm more of an accidental hobbyist than a goal-oriented hobbyist. As long as I'm having fun, I'm achieving the goal of the hobby.

With that said, my immediate goal is to build the Warlock kit I got for Christmas. Probably at some point I'll start to want to fly it on L2 motors, and I'll set a goal of getting my L2 cert. I'm also looking forward to using my CTI hardware for the first time.

This thread reminded me of last year's rocketry resolutions thread, so I looked up my resolutions from last year, and this is what I found:

It never occurred to me to have a resolution related to rocketry or other hobbies, but it sounds better than losing 10 pounds and exercising more.

So... I resolve to purge my garage of all the non-rocektry-related hobby junk from bygone hobbies that is preventing me from having a functional workbench space for my current rocketry hobby. Who wants a bunch of homebrew equipment?

I'm not going to make it a resolution, but I've been thinking about doing the NARTREK program. I've been flying rockets off and on since I was a kid, but I never really built and flew anything with a specific performance goal in mind, so I think the program might be kind of interesting. I'm planning to join NAR, and I might join the local LUNAR club.

How did I do?

Cleared garage --- done!
NARTREK --- nope
Joined NAR and LUNAR --- done!

But I also had more accidental accomplishments too along the way:

First composite motor, AT E20-7
First MPR, Leviathan
First HPR and first customized kit bash, Mega Der Red Max Pod Rocket
L1 Cert
First Multi-day HPR launch, TCC October skies
Built 6 gift rockets to introduce others to the fun of rocketry

I reached most of my goals last year.
This year I have a few;
Get my level 1 cert.
Try out CTI motors.
LDRS-(I can't wait!)
Visit Apogee headquarters in Colorado Springs.
Looking forward to a "rocket summer."

Get new decals for my favorite, triple cluster, CO2 spewing theme rocket.

IMG_0064_1.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

Hmm...
  • Attend NARAM-57...and win something
  • Doing OK with lathe, so get mini mill and learn to use it
  • L3
  • Get treatment for LPR/HPR multiple personality disorder
  • Devise foolproof money laundering system for rocketry expenses

Well here goes

Finish L3 rocket

Test fly L3 rocket

Hopefully have money and time
to travel to do my L3 feet as I cannot do it at Bong.

Other than that have some fun.

- Research, purchase, and assemble a rocket for the largest L2 motor I can get without busting our 10K waiver. This portion is complete now that my X-Celerator is ready.
- Launch the L1000.
- Break 1 mile.
- Successfully use a 100% redundant DD system. This was checked off with a test flight during our last launch.
- Start using a tracker (eggfinder).
- Get comfortable launching a rocket out of sight.
- Blow as many titanium sparks into the desert as I possibly can.

My first was "get back into building," which I've done.

1) Join NAR
2) Join a club
3) Find a better flying field (for when I'm not flying with a club)
4) Work on my rocket blog
5) Design and build my "donors rockets" - Last fall, I did a fundraiser for a theater, and I offered rockets and a launch as an incentive - and for the first time, I raised some actual money. Now I need to design and build the rockets for my donors and set up the launch.
6) Go see a high power launch

Another one that I'm not going to rush is Level 1 Cert. I think I have enough experience to do it, but I'd like to get a few other things done first, and the higher cost of high power motors means I probably won't launch high power too often, so I'm not in a hurry. But I'm going to see if I can get to that by fall.

Also, not a goal, but I'll be teaching a rocketry camp for kids at a community college this summer. So, I guess a goal for that is to come up with the things I'll need and submit a list to the community college by April. And then come up with a program.

My goals are pretty easy:

1) enjoy the outdoors and friends at each launch
2) break 10k
3) don't loose any HPR because of stupidity

Kevin

A lot of mine can/will hopefully be met concurrently -

Obtain L3.
Project in build phase now. Goal set for first attempt at SpudRoc on May 2nd.

Exceed 20k AGL (any rocket)
My current maximum is 14k, 38mm motor. Obtainable with 54mm project or L3 project.

Exceed 20k AGL with 54mm motor.
Rocket built already, motors on hand.

Exceed Mach 2
May be obtainable with 54mm bird, or with L3 rocket.

Build pile reduction/Progress
Complete and fly kits I've had in the pile for far too long (including the Wildman Darkstar 2-stage and Pterodactyl Jr)

NXRS
BALLS

2015 is a weird year for me. Instead of grand plans to scale up, I'm focusing on going down. I skipped over 38mm mostly, got into a few 54mm rockets and flights. I like it, but my focus this year is going smaller. Easier to store, cheaper to fly, same level of complexity.

To that end I've built or have parts for four 38mm MMT rockets with 2.6" or 54mm bodies. I'd like to add another 54/38 DD rocket around my loki 38/1200 and AT 38/1320 cases, and a 2.6"/38mm FG for single deploy on G and small H motors. (Possibly with a nosecone set up to electronically deploy to use EX motors)

I'd like to mix and fly a 38/240

Finally get around to breaking mach

Last edited:
To fly this year... tough with the farm and 2 active teenagers...

Launch my first I motor, I launched all letters up to K except I
Make my first home made rocket, ie make body tubes, fins, nosecone ect.
Finish all the rockets that I have built

1) Add 45 SF to my 90SF workshed
2) L1 (I have a Leviathan and Ventris ready, a LOC Caliber ISP on the bench and a MDRM to follow shortly after)
3) Make 3 club launches - previous high was 2

Chris

Way things are going right now, I'll just go with "fly a rocket."

You and, me both Dixie....You and, me both....:sigh:

Funny thing, got this TAP appointment....Talked to several people about helping them with their L3's and, with winter everything went quiet.
Have wheels, can travel...can help...can certify...open for business. Only an email, pm or call away! ;)

More importantly, would be "Us" (as in Indiana Rocketry) finding a new Fall/Winter/Spring home....
Until then I would feel guilty running around tossing rockets in the air everywhere else...

We're still looking...don't count us out yet.:D

Funny thing, got this TAP appointment....Talked to several people about helping them with their L3's and, with winter everything went quiet.
Have wheels, can travel...can help...can certify...open for business. Only an email, pm or call away! ;)

Dear Mr. Gus,

I would like some help.
Can I get some assistance attaining my Level-5?

Dear Mr. Gus,

I would like some help.
Can I get some assistance attaining my Level-5?

:surprised: An L5? Wooooooo.......I've heard of that......wooooooooo....:surprised:

For you Jim, i would sail the violent Sea's of Cheese with only an oar in my hand to fight off those pesky Somalian Pirates :boat:(maybe with some help from the Russian Navy...) Them boys take no prisoners! :bangbang:

*Sorry i haven't been here alot, recently...This "Field Thingy", buying an new Pickup Truck (that will cost more than my house did-10 years ago ) and, a pesky thing called "Work" have really put a damper on a very long...cold...long winter....down here.*

Maybe i will see you at the Memorial Day Meatfest in Princeton? G:D:DD!

Back