2015 Rocketry Goals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just returining to the hobby after a long break, and, have just been diagnosed with B-cell non-Hodgkings Lymphoma within the last two weeks. So, right now, I will settle for just making it to a launch, and, flying some low-mid power. Hoping to do my first dual deploy by the end of the year. It's all going to depend on how my body handles the chemo.

David

I am just returining to the hobby after a long break, and, have just been diagnosed with B-cell non-Hodgkings Lymphoma within the last two weeks. So, right now, I will settle for just making it to a launch, and, flying some low-mid power. Hoping to do my first dual deploy by the end of the year. It's all going to depend on how my body handles the chemo.

David

My prayers are with you David....
Keeping your mind in a positive place will help greatly....

Teddy

Man the pressure is on, I didn't realize that I would have to followup on this one but it seems that a lot of you are making your goals. So here goes.

- L2, set for LDRS Successfully completed @ LDRS day 2 @ 13:30
- test and learn redundant configurations, currently testing asked a lot of questions and have successfully used electronic redundant configurations on 3 flights
- break Mach 1, LDRS according to my dual altimeter data I hit Mach 1.3 on my L2 flight
- break 10K, 15K LDRS according to my dual altimeters I averaged 15,960 but my TeleGPS says 16,600, bottom line I am now a member of the 3 mile club
- learn how to use the GPS trackers effectively, currently testing have only had one chance to use the TeleGPS but it was successful and incredibly easy
- finish build pile before I buy another rocket, ongoing should be done by end of year working on it, but I just purchased components for my first scratch, this might be my hardest goal to hit...its a sickness!
- rocketry related, get my basic HAM, end of March yeah good intentions, bought the books, studied a bit, but fell off the wagon. I will revise for end of year or even spring 2016, based on everything else that is going on.

And finally...BURN THROUGH SOME AP! Getting through my stock-pile but have a bunch left over from LDRS so I now need to find excuses to head back down to Potters :grin:

Me too with the ham thing...
The best of intentions,,
but I've just been really busy lately...

Teddy

I am just returning to the hobby after a long break, and, have just been diagnosed with B-cell non-Hodgkins Lymphoma within the last two weeks. So, right now, I will settle for just making it to a launch, and, flying some low-mid power. Hoping to do my first dual deploy by the end of the year. It's all going to depend on how my body handles the chemo.

David

I will definitely be thinking about you, and pushing positive energy your way. Be positive, and get out in the sunshine and have fun! Not sure where you will be flying, but as I am also returning to rocketry (again), I will not make any launches this year in Manchester TN, as I will more than likely take to flying again with the Phoenix MissileWorks group out of Birmingham AL. due to the end of one season and the beginning of another. Hopefully we can link up again at Manchester.

I will definitely be thinking about you, and pushing positive energy your way. Be positive, and get out in the sunshine and have fun! Not sure where you will be flying, but as I am also returning to rocketry (again), I will not make any launches this year in Manchester TN, as I will more than likely take to flying again with the Phoenix MissileWorks group out of Birmingham AL. due to the end of one season and the beginning of another. Hopefully we can link up again at Manchester.

Thank you Johnnie. As of right now, Doc is saying 6 months of strong chemo. I just finished with my staging tests today (still waiting on results), getting a med port put in Thursday. We think it's still in an early stage as there is no palpable swelling or tenderness in the lymph nodes, and, very few symptoms. I plan to prove the Doc wrong, and be cancer free before my 6 months is up.

David

Time for my autumn update on these

1) L1 certify - DONE!!!
2) L2 certify - DONE!!!
3) Fly the rest for fun. - DONE!!!!

Managed to also get a mile in the process. Good year for rockets.

1 - level 1 cert - Done (Thanks TCC/ Madcow)
2 - fly Sparky motor - done (Thanks Bay Area Rocketry)
3 - fly bigger Sparky motor
4 - DD
5 - 1 mile high on a level one motor
6 - reach 6 posts so I can edit my profile

The year hasn't exactly gone to plan, but it's not over yet!

1) Get my L2 (with any luck that will be checked-off this weekend)

I tried for my L2 at 2 launches this spring, first time I missed one too many questions on the test (my bad for not refreshing myself on the memorization questions first, was too busy finishing the L2 rocket), the second time the motor eject failed and my L2 rocket was destroyed. Meanwhile my Dad leap-frogged me and got his L2 at XPRS last weekend, but not after an AT J250W DMS motor CATO almost destroyed his rocket on the pad on his first attempt, we managed to re-build the rocket and fly it successfully the next day on a replacement motor (he only attends this one launch each year so it was his only chance, I knew I still had more chances this year so I focused on conservative first-flights last weekend). I do plan to try for my L2 again at October Skies in 3 weeks now that I've successfully flown my re-built L2 rocket, this time with a CTI motor. :)

2) Do a successful DD flight (0-for-1 so far, likely won't do DD on my L2 attempt since I'm having e-match troubles)

I'll call this one done, all 3 of my flights last weekend were DD (no motor eject on any one, I'm through with that after all the motor-eject-related failures I had earlier this year) and all 8 charges (one was redundant DD) went off exactly as planned. The actual chute deployments didn't always happen due to the charge firing, and I had some chute tangles and a melted chute, but those could have happened regardless of DD, I clearly need to improve the consistency of my technique there. But I finally found e-matches I can trust, though I'm half-way through that batch between these flights and ground testing now, so I have to start building up trust in the other batch I've received since.

3) Do a cable-cutter style DD flight (for a rocket that doesn't have space for more traditional DD)

I don't even have a rocket for this right now (it was destroyed by an early AT EZ motor eject in April), and all of my ground-testing with a hot-wire cable cutter have been unsuccessful, so I've basically removed this item from my to-do list for the near future. I'm planning to re-build the rocket I lost in April, and I'll try to go back to a "proper" 2-charge DD when I do so (it helps having more trust in DD and charges now, the original thinking here was to just do motor eject for the drogue and a cable-cutter for the main, but as motor eject is no longer an option for me that makes the cable-cutter less appealing as well. All that said, John Beans' new Chute Release thing looks quite interesting and I'll likely consider that over a hot-wire cutter, I may do altimeter drogue deployment as well as his Chute Release for a single-separation deployment strategy, maybe even for my night-launch rocket.

4) >1 mile (5195' max right now, on whichever rocket I've successfully done DD on first)

Haven't made any progress on this one yet (max altitude is unchanged), but one of the two rockets I flew for the first time last weekend will be difficult to keep under a mile with any I+ motor, so I suspect this will still happen at my next launch, and once I have my L2 even 2 miles should be pretty easy with this rocket.

5) First night launch (just published my build thread for that rocket this morning)

Having lost all of the rockets in my fleet in March/April and then breaking my wrist in June means I haven't even started building this rocket yet, I missed XPRS's night launches and there's basically no way I'll have this ready to fly by October Skies which is my last night launch opportunity this year. So this will probably turn into a fall project and I'll shoot for Dairy Aire 2016. Effectively the new goal is to have my fleet up to 4 by the end of this year, including starting/finishing this rocket and rebuilding the rocket I lost in April (the one I lost in March was re-built and flown successfully last weekend).

6) Better shots of launches (picking up an Olympus SP-100 today, and waiting for this year's Sony action camera to come out for higher frame rate pad video)

This one is a definite check, I've loved the SP-100 and have gotten some excellent hand-held video with it, and the Sony FDR-X1000V has been a great pad cam. Unfortunately for XPRS last weekend I managed to leave the SP-100 (and a whole crate of stuff I had planned to bring) at home :facepalm:, and for 5 launches with the FDR-X1000V at the pad once I forgot to start it and once I had left the SD Card in my computer back at camp, so I only got 3 of the 5 launches but one of the ones I did capture was the J250W CATO which was interesting to watch, and the successful L2 launch which included a very hesitant ignition of the second J250W motor just for extra suspense. :p

And if I manage to take care of those, I'll probably try my first FG kit later this year, to start thinking about > mach 1, higher altitudes and perhaps my L3 more like 2016! :)

So the order hasn't exactly been maintained, after losing all of my rockets March/April and thanks to a Rocketry Warehouse Happy Hump Day sale I wound up with a FG kit much sooner than I expected, and it flew for the first time last weekend. I'm still a bit leery on the > mach 1 part, but higher altitudes is definitely something I'll be doing with this rocket now that it's in my fleet.

Finish up with the CinerocDV, CamrocDV, and Astrocam110DV.
Graduate school.

Finish up with the CinerocDV, CamrocDV, and Astrocam110DV.
Graduate school. ☑

The teacher I was working with landed a new job, and hasn't had the time to finish the Cineroc project.

Last edited:
1) L2...rocket and motor ready. Completed in March with Arapahoe-J.
2) 1 Mile...multiple capable rockets, just need waiver. Achieved Today with Cherokee-I on a J570W to 7275'.
3) 38 mm MD from a tower...tower done, fiberglassing tubes underway. got this one in Saturday at High Frontiers 12, also sure I broke Mach as my 38 MD scratch build rocket, Aram, on an I357T produced a real audible pop about 200' up. I think I like this tower launching
4) Mach 1...should come along with the other goals. Achieved Today with Cherokee-I on a J570W to Mach 1.03.*
5) Attend Airfest

This is a soft list. The one's that happen, great. The one's that don't, that is waht 2016 is for.

*No, I don't care if this is "too close to be absolutely sure with a Baro Altimeter"...Scoreboard!

Updated in Orange.

I don't think I've contributed to this thread yet. So even though 2015 is on it's downward journey....my goal at the beginning was to build a half dozen rockets this year...one of them being Estes new Mercury Redstone. I'm happy to say I'm almost there.

Fun thread. nute. HOw about starting a 2016 thread since this was your idea? I think with the year winding down I'm planning more for next year

1) Add 45 SF to my 90SF workshed
2) L1 (I have a Leviathan and Ventris ready, a LOC Caliber ISP on the bench and a MDRM to follow shortly after)
3) Make 3 club launches - previous high was 2

Chris

1) Would have done, but needed to pay for braces for child #1 instead
2) Certified L1 on the Caliber ISP back in August
3) 2 club launches - would have made 3 but hockey for child #2 keeps getting in the way...

2016 goals:

1) Certify Level 2
2) Fly at least one dual deploy flight (the new Jolly Logic unit looks to make this pretty easy)
3) 3 club launches

Heck, I don't even remember what I posted originally, (which tells me just how well I've been at keeping up with them)

First DD flight (DONE! 2/14/15)
Additional DD flights
L2 Certification
Learn how to use my BRB tracker effectively

This is all leading up to:
Join ARLISS
Build / Fly ARLISS-K rocket

Well lets see, I haven't done any more DD flights yet.
I have the L2 test prep materials printed out, and I've read through them a couple of times. I guess I should talk to my club president about taking the test soon.
I've been playing with the BRB a bit, but I need to invest in an attenuator and a radio that has an actual working s-meter

I bought (most of) the parts I need for an ARLISS-K rocket, and have the design files, but no actual building as of yet.
I also have the punisher I got for christmas last year in my build pile that will be helping me hone my DD skills.

(being out of work, and getting ready to move an hour or so north of the Bay Area really puts a damper on major rocketry projects. But heay - there is a potential garage workshop and an honest to goodness back-yard (you know, for kids - er... paint) in my not too distant future. I think my ARLISS-K project will be back on track in 2016)

Last edited:

David

Holy smokes man, that is tough. Nothing but the best of wishes your way.

We all love hobbies but this puts it in perspective.

I wasn't able to check the third item off my list do to an illness. Time to start thinking up goals for next year.

Jeff,,,
I'm really sorry to hear your ill..
It sure would have been nice to meet you at MWP...
Feel better for sure man...

Teddy

Latest update:
  1. Finish Darkstar Jr., so that I can[Done]
    • Fly first FG rocket [Done. Postponed until NARAM, and chute got hung up. Gonna fly it again this weekend]
    • Get my NAR L2 [Done - October 17, 2015. Wildman Interceptor AAD 98 on a J315R, not the Darkstar]
    • Mach 1 [Probably not until 2016
    • Flight over 1 Mile [Nope, not in 2015]
    • First 38mm motor (May be in a King Kraken instead) [Check - was the KK]
    • First DD flight [Not looking like it's going to happen in 2015]
  2. Fly my first MicroMaxx Built, gotta make time to launch the little buggers
  3. Participate in an NAR contest [Check - UROC Pioneer 2015]
  4. Attend NARAM 58 [Exhausting, but fun]
  5. Attend Hellfire XX Nope - too tired after NARAM
  6. Get enough kids at the program where I've started a weekly rocketry program/group/club interested enough to participate in the 2016 TARC More interest, but still to young. Maybe 2017.

Apparently my goals were fiberglass familiarity, replacing electronics with my own, and outgrowing the local waiver.

Fiberglass, that is a big check. Now when building my first instinct is to figure out how to solve the problem with West 105 and cloth, even when the base material are cardboard and wood. My first choice on kits are definitely fiberglass, so much so that I worry about ever going back! I should probably try bluetube someday, but who knows when.

Electronics, big failure. I have some prototype units but have yet to fly a single one of them, let alone replace any of my commercial units.

Outgrowing the local waiver, well, kind of. Snow Ranch does 14k, and I hit 16k once. I might be able to squeak that flight into TCC but recovery would be a concern. Call it a technically a success with room to grow!

I suppose what I did instead of more electronics was certify level three. That was not planned until a few months ago, then completely took over. It was a huge success and totally worth pushing the rest aside for now.

Back