Lost my Crossfire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benzee1

Reaction score
I took my rockets to the park the other day. There was a slight breeze, nothing bad. I angled my launch into the breeze. After the Crossfire chute deployed, the rocket drifted in a different direction. I lost sight but my kids were chasing it and it landed in the water. Surrounded by barbed wire. With keep out and no tresspassing signs. And a sewage treatment sign.

Sigh.
:cry:

As a positive, I just got a Yankee and a Skywriter. Dunno if I can find a bigger area to fly. Lots of farmland out here, but don't know anyone to ask to use their land.

ByeBye rocket
0119151023.jpg

...the rocket drifted in a different direction. I lost sight but my kids were chasing it and it landed in the water. Surrounded by barbed wire. With keep out and no tresspassing signs. And a sewage treatment sign.

Think of it as an opportunity to build one bigger, better, and faster... (at least you have a picture)

Think of it as an opportunity to build one bigger, better, and faster... (at least you have a picture)

I feel your pain. On Thanksgiving day my son and I launched his Amazon on a C6. It flew nice, deployed fine, descended fine - until it locked on the only row of trees in sight. It didn't land on the side of the tree or any place where one could think about climbing up and grabbing it. Nope, it landed smack on top of the tree! Literally the highest point possible. It was a goner. My son didn't seem to mind and we went on to launch his Cherokee which just barely averted the same fate on an E9. We packed it in for the day... Come to think of it that was the last rocket we've launched! Geez....

Well C**P!!!

I'd say time to buy another or clone it.

Sorry to hear about your loss (and I HIGHLY doubt you'll even want to get it back).

Sorry to hear this. looked like a nice rocket. :( I recommend a streamer if possible.

My first outing with the crossfire, it was so cold, the chute did not open. I launched again with no chute and it worked great! But I think part of the rocketry laws (keeps rockets from being classified as fireworks) say it needs a chute or streamer. Some kind of something for it to return to the ground. But no chute on that rocket is pretty cool.

I'd recommend about 4"x16" mylar, maybe larger depending on your landing site. I fly on sod and have had it come down with a non-deployed streamer with no damage. the TTW fins are tough!

Last edited:
My first outing with the crossfire, it was so cold, the chute did not open. I launched again with no chute and it worked great! But I think part of the rocketry laws (keeps rockets from being classified as fireworks) say it needs a chute or streamer. Some kind of something for it to return to the ground. But no chute on that rocket is pretty cool.

No Chute' is fine. It's just called "Nose Blow Recovery". On Rockets that are as Small/Light as the Crossfire it's not really a bad thing.
I've flown my Estes Patriot M-104 like that once back when it was an 18mm Bird. The tiny stocky Fins soak up a hard landing on 3-4" Grass no problem.

Back