ultra tight aeropack

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I have an Aeropack fitting perfectly onto a motor mount at this point. It is tough to get on and off, but doable, by hand.

Should I be concerned about it being so tight that not much glue stays between the two surfaces?

You didn't say what material the tube is but I would sand it so AeroPack fits better and all the JB Weld doesn't get pushed out.

Put JBWeld on the threads and on the tube. If there is epoxy on both surfaces it can't scrape out of the joint on assembly as that would create a vacuum sucking it back in. Wipe up the excess mess once the mount is on. Don't forget to clean both the threads and the tube with (preferrably) denatured alcohol and let that evaporate before gluing, and don't touch the cleaned surfaces after cleaning. Skin oils are the enemy of a good bond.

Gerald

I have an Aeropack fitting perfectly onto a motor mount at this point. It is tough to get on and off, but doable, by hand.

Should I be concerned about it being so tight that not much glue stays between the two surfaces?
They are not made take on and off they are made to go one and not come off.
Test fit it once and then put some glue on and be done with it.

If it fits without distorting the tube, I'd say clean it, get the JB Weld on, and install. For the slip-on ones, I keep some paper towels and rubbing alcohol handy to quickly wipe up any extra that might seep out and interfere with motor fit.

Later!

--Coop

Can we quit using the word "Glue" in this Thread? It's JB Weld. Accept no substitutes.
Also, even if it is not going on Fiberglass, you still want to score/rough up the mating surfaces.

I noticed that the Aeropack retainer that I ordered with my Rocketry Warehouse Adventurer3 was a bit of a tight fit... so much so that I have not been able to get it on the tube. It want's to go on, but is just a hair off. I will sand the tube until I get a fit, then use JB Weld for the rest.

when it comes to glue joints, more is not better. I've got a tight fitting retainer, it was a very snug fit before I 'scratched up' the motor tube with 60 grit. I is happy with the way it fits.
Rex

Dumb question but did the OP and the others with tight fitting retainers order the correct size, Aeropack has like two sizes for each motor diameter depending on what the MMT tube material is? Then again it may just be max tolerance MMT so the Aeropack fits tightly.

I agree with TopRamen, there can be only One... (JB Weld that is)

yes I did, aero pack has changed the design for the 54mm retainers. they now come with a spacer engineered to fit the tube, one could say that the new retainers are designed to be that tight, and since they only need swap out spacers, cheaper to boot.
Rex

I had a tight 38mm P aeropack that I was using in an old pml small endeavor. I just figured pml may have changed tolerances and sanded the mmt to fit.

Back