Estes #1944 BT-60 D-Region Tomahawk Fin Template?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I'm doing a Scratch Built BT-60 based D-Region Tomahawk. I've done a search, and searched the web, but only found stuff about the new but now OOP 1.8" version. Plenty of scale drawings too, but I'm not trying to do a perfect Scale Model here, just trying to build a sport-scale like the one I had as a kid.
Does anyone have a fin template they could share with me so I can get to cutting some balsa?

Thanks.

Do you know how to get to the BT-60 scale you want from a drawing or picture?

To Brady, no, but someone probably explained it to me once.
KidRocket, yeah, I actually hate doing math to the point that it is almost a disorder of sorts.
I can do my budget and stuff like that, but anything that requires me to actually think about numbers gives me a headache.
When I scale stuff, I typically find a Picture of a drwing on the net, then save it. Next, I open the Picture in Paint, then zoom in with my actual Body Tube pressed against the Computer Screen til' the two match up. Then I take the BT out of the way and place a piece of paper on the Screen and trace the Fin.
Guess I'll just do that, but I was hoping for a scan of an actual Estes Fin Template if such a thing exists.

I do have this beautiful Drawing:

View attachment 255283

I found one in Rocket Reviews ''estes-tomahawkkit1944'' . Down load the Rocsim file, open it in OR and print the templates. Or.. ''oop-estes-tomahawk''

Last edited:
...then zoom in with my actual Body Tube pressed against the Computer Screen til' the two match up. Then I take the BT out of the way and place a piece of paper on the Screen and trace the Fin.

I do have this beautiful Drawing:

View attachment 255283

That's what I would do here...

Math smath who needs math when you have that drawing?

Traced it from the screen in Paint. Thanks anyway folks.
My OR doesn't work anymore on this Computer, but thanks Oldschool77.

Going to play with Balsa and FG Cloth now.
Thanks for the replies.

If I were building a Tomahawk from this drawing, I would use the top left hand image of the fin. First, I would figure the length of the root edge by subtracting the 3" notch from the marked length (25.67"), which would be 22.67". Then multiply the root length by .1819 to get the scale root edge length, 4.124 inches. This is how long the root edge of your rocket's fin should be. I would then crop the pic of the fin so it's by itself, print it and then measure the root edge on the paper. Then I would scale the picture up or down until the root edge measures 4.124" and then cut that out and use it as a fin template. I realize this is very crude but for me it's close enough.

It's all squared away. I took the tool in Paint that lets you select an area as a square, then selected the Bottom section of the complete Rocket.
I then rotated it, then resized it til' it matched the BT-60 held against the screen. Then I put a piece of paper up against the screen, and made a dot at each point where the fin had an angle. Removed the paper, connected the dots, added my measurement for my TTW Tabs, and did it up.
The Fins are curing their first side of glass now.

D-Region Mock-up 001.jpgD-Region Glass 004.jpg

While looking for the Decals I was directed to JimZs site, which has the instruction sheet and Template.

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1944.htm

I've already made my fins, and they are curing under books and weights with 2.3oz FG Cloth as I type this, but if anyone else decide to do one of these there is the Templates.

This is going to be sweet! All of the parts I am going to fit by hand to tight tolerances before any Structural Adhesive is applied, and weigh it before and after to learn something. Even Mock-up Decals to show me where I will end up adding weight with Details.

D-Region Scratch 005.jpg

Back