3D printed HPR rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdureau

Reaction score
I have built a full plastic rocket that I am planning to fly with an H motor.
Appart from the body tube and the motor mount all the other parts are 3D printed
It is 1.20 m hight, weight about a kg an the diameter is 50mm

It is a dual deployment rocket with 2 altimeters (one is used for redondancy).
I have not used any glue only nuts and bolts, most of the holes were 3D printed so it is the kind of rocket you can build your sofa with limitted tools.
Which is good when you leave in a flat.
It tooks about 50 hours to print100_8622.jpg100_8624.jpg100_8626.jpg100_8628.jpg100_8630.jpg

The idea is to see what can be 3D printed in a rocket

I have already thought about it and I believe that it is possible with Rcandy but it is outside the context of this topic and should be discussed in an experimental rocketry forum

It's not HPR, but I have printed the whole rocket (including airframe).

20140306_090131.jpg

It hauled it straight up on an F something, but the shock cord broke (didn't have Kevlar on hand, so I used elastic. Mistake.) and the booster tumbled down without a chute and hit the concrete. The only damage was a horizontal crack in one fin and a slightly deformed recovery retention device. Good luck with your rocket. Can't wait to see pics from flight!

Just curious. It took 50 hours to print. How much did it cost?

Bob

just for the printed part without the electricity between 10 and 15 dollars

Appart from the body tube and the motor mount all the other parts are 3D printed

I have not used any glue only nuts and bolts, most of the holes were 3D printed so it is the kind of rocket you can build your sofa with limitted tools.
It tooks about 50 hours to printView attachment 255154View attachment 255155View attachment 255156View attachment 255157View attachment 255158

So you 3D printed an E2X rocket?

It's not HPR, but I have printed the whole rocket (including airframe).

View attachment 255168

And you 3D printed an ARF.

And you 3D printed an ARF.

Yes. I've also printed various components for rockets, which I may or may not have shown you at a launch before. This one had a shock cord failure that caused the bottom section to tumble recover without chute. It managed to find the road at landing and only cracked one fin. I've not taken the time to reprint the booster with a slightly improved design, so it has sat in a box mothballed since then.

I've actually got a nose cone I'm probably going to need to get printed. No clue where to even start. And I'm definitely not sure what the cost will be. First HPR rocket and I had to choose to do a custom build.

I've actually got a nose cone I'm probably going to need to get printed. No clue where to even start. And I'm definitely not sure what the cost will be. First HPR rocket and I had to choose to do a custom build.
If you are interested I have created the OpenScad files for 4 different type of noise cone. I have just looked at the equations on the wiki and entered them in OpenScad.
I can attached the files if you want.

Here is a rocket I printed, it had to be printed in several parts (the body tube) and features a locking motor retention ring.
Only 4 plastic parts to the rocket, masking tape holding the two BTs together as well as tightening up the NC shoulder.
DSC_0334.jpg
DSC_0257.jpg

Thanks. Did you print your Body Tube in one piece?
For mine I did not print the tube.
I have used a Sumpod basic printer so I cannot print more than 12 cm sections.
However I have ordered a Delta printer and I am planning on modifying it so that I can print 60 cm sections ... ie: J, K or even L rocket noise cone.

It tooks about 50 hours to printView attachment 255154View attachment 255155View attachment 255156View attachment 255157View attachment 255158

The idea is to see what can be 3D printed in a rocket

Looks Good!

Did you print the parts solid or with partial fill?

I assume you used PLA?

Looks Good!

Did you print the parts solid or with partial fill?

I assume you used PLA?
I have used PLA
Choosing the method to print it is the tricky part.
I am using Repetier-Host and I am slicing with Slic3r
I have configured it so that it uses the vase option and the infill pattern is octagramspiral
I took the vase option so that all the head directions changes are done on the inside
No because withe the vase option you cannot fill it appart from the first few layer what I did was to change the number of bottom layers to be all my layers.
I have now some very strong parts that you cannot break by hand.

Back