"SkyPyrate" Rocketry beasties..back to post 1 !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
Coming soon.....which post is the rocket under. The new "shell game"

Check back regularaly to see! What/where the "little beasties" will be
In the pea game it ain't under nothing. Here it will turn up soon enough!

The first 10 posts will be continuously updated over time, adding text & photo's.... so keep looking UP!
................................................................................................................................................................................................

Well the beastie "Punisher" has been revealed. Now it's time to build it!

Last NSL 2008 was at our club, Orangeburg...again it will be held there May Memorial Day Weekend 2015- 3 day event.
Don did a little Thor 38 airframe with 29mm motor. It sold for 54.00 and sold out in 1 day. [2008]
We are doing 2 this time & by buying in bulk.....7yrs later will be able to sell them a bit cheaper......49.00 your choice.
With real Kevlar this time, not mule tape and the Punisher has G-10 fins so you can punish the sky & they'll still be there after a big motor flight.
We will be donating at least 5.00 per rocket to club towards new launch system.

"Punisher" beastie.
High Performance light weight rocket. Will fly on 24mm 1-2-3-6 grain & 29 mm 1-6grain . Ya might get a 6xl in there...maybe. I know I will try before it's over! This is just a fun little beasitie, fly well on small cheap motors & if your willing to risk losing it...let it rip. It will handle it with the G-10 "Carbonite" fins 1/16in. Sims to over a mile...way over.
No nose weight needed so far for smaller motors. Check for stability when moving up the food chain.

Parts:

38mm heavy duty Loc airframe 17in
29mm motor 7.5in
[3] G-10 "Carbonite" fins 6in. root
[2] fiber CR's 1/2. wide [to mount rail button if you desire]
[2] 1/4 launch lugs 1in long
38mm heavy duty LOC NC 8in. long [yes it has flown over ******]
1/8in tubular Kevlar Shock Cord 750lb. 12ft. long
Nylon rip-stop parachute 15in.
Full set of ''Punisher" vinyl decals
DSCN3944.jpg

Airframe comes fully marked for fin position & lug or R buttons ...that one is labeled with a tiny "L" for the dunderheads that can't figure it out.LOL
Very , very little spiral shows through the glassine. I will show my new "technique" for easily attaining a glass finish.
Yes....YOU have to cut the fin slots....this is real kit building, old school. I have to laugh when I hear guys talking about having to do this horrible, terrible, earth shattering deed! At least I marked them for ya.

DSCN3939.jpg

The fins alone make this a winner. Black 1/16in. G-10 plate, not plain black, "carbonite" textured, poor mans carbon look..lol
You can use either epoxy or polyurethane [Gorrila-Elmers] to put them on.
Wildman get the credit for helping us out here. [thank you Tim!]The first 32 kits will have those, after that Baltic Birch 1/8 ply.

DSCN3947.jpg

I searched high & low for days to find real USA made 1/8 tubular Kevlar affordable enough to use in these kits. MIL Spec! And it ain't cheap.
But everything in this kit is top shelf. Had to buy 3,000 ft to get it reasonable.

DSCN3950.jpg

Through out this build I will supply accurate weights on all parts and finished kit for sim files, including glue, paint, decals & buttons.
So far the parts weigh 9.1 oz. and the finished rocket with a 24 adaptor and F-39 motor loaded in it, ready to fly...13.4 oz.

DSCN3953.jpg DSCN3954.jpg

I will add individual part weights later.
Will also describe in detail, exactly how to tape and paint so anyone desiring the original "look" can easily replicate it.
Step by step on applying the vinyl.
How to safely wet sand cardboard.

I'm actually building this one for some "lucky" fellow , who will get it finished and ready to fly!

Last edited:
Once in awhile....

Parts weight.

91 grams NC
57.5 38mm airframe
14 grams 29mm motor tube
18.9 grams 1 fin [58.5 g for 3]
3 grams 1 fiber CR [6g for 2]
0.5 grams 1lug [1g for 2]
11 grams 12 ft. kevlar
13 grams Nylon 15in chute

252 grams Total or 8.9 oz [252 / 28.3 = 8.9]

Used a triple beam as kitchen scale would not register the tiny stuff.

Slotting the tube:

Slot needs to be 1/2in from rear of tube so CR fits.
Measure & mark all 3 fins lines using CR or tape measure.

DSCN3958.jpg

Use fin or measure 5 7/8 from tape to find front of slot position. Mark.
Connect marks on rear and front by wrapping tape around tube. This defines where you start & stop when slotting for fins.

DSCN3960.jpg

If you have angle iron, tape to one side of slot [same side for all 3 remember!]
Lay fin against it, and draw line for other side of slot, do all 3. If you don't have one ,just lay fin on line and free hand it.
If you outline the slot marks with tape, the blade will follow tape edge and give you nice clean, straight cuts..... or just free hand.

DSCN3961.jpg DSCN3963.jpg DSCN3964.jpg

DSCN3967.jpg

Use an X-acto with fresh-sharp blade. Draw the blade down line slowly, keeping edge next to tape. Use light even pulls, as if drawing line with pencil.
Once the groove is set after 3-5 passes you can speed up a bit. Let the blade follow your groove.
It should take 20-25 light slices per side. If ya move to fast or press to hard your blade will drift and make a crooked cut.
Pics show things horizontal.
When cutting marks, tube should be laying vertically in front of you so when cutting, you are pulling towards yourself from top to bottom.

DSCN3969.jpg

It only took me 15-20 minutes to do all of the above.
Now check fit with a fin. If all good do the other 2.
Finished .......remove tape and admire your old school ''I did it myself" slotted tube!:smile:

DSCN3971.jpg DSCN3972.jpg

Last edited:
Tired of those same old build threads?

Ready for something a "little" different?

Eyes getting blurry from staring at the ole TV on these cold winter nights?

DSCN0782.jpg

Last edited:
...it's cardboard for me!

.....Burma Shave....

This will mess with the young ones heads! ...................:wink:
Probably don't know what the shell game is either.:y:

Last edited:
Maybe a "special"..... something, something for ya'll.

now the questions may come....but if ya wait.

They may have already been answered.

How can that be you ask?

Physco powers....err....physic powers...maybe.

Last edited:
I'm not tired of my old ones..........................yet, AL

Does your new trailer count as a "new" hobby?

Seems you tended to "misplace" your old one.

I can't help it, seems I'm having stability issues.

DSCN0505.jpg

Last edited:
Uhhh, Jim......I think it might be a good idea to recheck the doses on your meds.
:wink:

s6

Subscribed. Since I have also been cutting paper tubes in the hope of restoring my L-1 rocket "Duke Nukem", I am always interested in what "CRAZY Jim" might come up with. I'm looking to build something light enough to fly the new "Mellow" CTI reloads...
And CJ's threads are always entertaining.

Madeye_Moody.gif

Sometimes, as we age, our center of gravity begins to move a bit aft.

You'll have to wait till tomorrow for reply to that.......and it's a doozy.
Designed this little "beastie" to fly on the NEW G-88 G's!

And it "whistles" while it works!

Last edited:
You'll have to wait till tomorrow for reply to that.......and it's a doozy.
Designed this little "beastie" to fly on the NEW G-88 G's!

And it "whistles" while it works!

I can't wait for the reply!

What is a NEW G88? I have a CTI 29mm 2Grain G88 smokey Sam. Is that new? I've never flown one, so it's new to me, but is there something else?

I can't wait for the reply!

What is a NEW G88? I have a CTI 29mm 2Grain G88 smokey Sam. Is that new? I've never flown one, so it's new to me, but is there something else?

Not G-88....... G-88-G.

Yes VERY-VERY new.
Don't know if you will EVER get to fly one,BUT you're sure gonna wish you could!

Only Demo's for now, about 110lbs. of thrust.

[and 5ft 4]

Last edited:
Ya don't happen to be talking about these G88's... do you?

https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=4771&p=56065&hilit=G88#p56065

file.php

G88's offer a very unique design: Starting off with a smooth and elegant taper, 2 prominent and parallel peaks are thereafter apparent before gently tapering away. Made up of a chemistry which is somewhat difficult to understand by the common man, these are highly sought after and many rocketeers have expressed a strong desire to get their hands on them. The excitement of these motors is short lived as they're spent within 2 seconds.

The G88 thrust curve is displayed above.

Or am I thinking of the wrong thing? :p

(Crazy Jim... ya done messed me up with that Skype call we had! :p )

Ya don't happen to be talking about these G88's... do you?

https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=4771&p=56065&hilit=G88#p56065

file.php

G88's offer a very unique design: Starting off with a smooth and elegant taper, 2 prominent and parallel peaks are thereafter apparent before gently tapering away. Made up of a chemistry which is somewhat difficult to understand by the common man, these are highly sought after and many rocketeers have expressed a strong desire to get their hands on them. The excitement of these motors is short lived as they're spent within 2 seconds.

The G88 thrust curve is displayed above.

Or am I thinking of the wrong thing? :p

(Crazy Jim... ya done messed me up with that Skype call we had! :p )

This is a family friendly forum.

So is the object to guess the rocket based on clues? I've got theories. But most are not necessarily "family friendly."

Geeshhh......BlackBRAT....err, I mean blackbrandt, thanks for ruining the punch line. I was gonna make 'em wait till tomorrow and kill'em with anticipation. Keep it up and you will be "Forever Alone" Timing my friend........is everything in a gag.

But ya forgot the most important part of the G-88-G motor..... THE CASE ! Ya you showed the re-load thrust curve, but it has a "special" edition case! Once fired becomes a cradle to hold your rocket while working on it.!

[I made this poster, for my trip to Australia, where I'm doing another Crazy Jim Pyrate drag race at Thunder Down Under, the link blackBRAT showed is the drag race thread on their forum]

59986860.jpg

This is family friendly.....

Molly actually works at our local Hooters & that's a family resteruant!

We have one of the largest Pyrate day celebrations in the country, ours last a week at the beach!
Ya'll should really come down and check it out. Molly here and a bunch of her friends were decked out in wench gear riding the floats in the Buccaneer Parade.

Umm to the question at hand. Thirsty, this center of gravity seemed to move fore....not aft.....LOL! Change your handle to ThirstyBuccaneer & come on down to Pyrate day...you'll fit right in.

PS Thirsty, where 'd you find video of my cousin? FaceCrook?

Wayco.....see post#4

Last edited:
Back