Madcow Rocketry #K-107 mini Patriot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodRocket

Reaction score
I didn't need yet another kit to build but I'm a sucker for a nice Patriot kit. Tried a search and didn't get any hits so I thought I would start a thread on this kit. If you have one, feel free to share.

This is Madcow Rocketry kit # k-107 mini Patriot

Specifications

Length 22"
Diameter 1.6"
Weight 8oz

CP 16" from nose tip
CG 14 1/4 from nose tip

Kit is two 8" sections of thick body tube with a thick coupler. Fiberglass nosecone, ply rings and a 8" 29 mm motor tube. Kit includes 18" nylon chute, 6 x 6 chute protector. Cut vinyl black decals. Kevlar/nylon cord. 1/4 lugs. A typical Madcow kit.

Simple to build. Darn sure going to be a high performance rocket.

Recommended motors are taken from instruction sheet;

Motor with altitude

Single use

D12-5 with adapter 455'
E9-6 with adapter 848'
F20w-7 2011'
F23j-7 1763'
G79w-10 3070'

Reload

E16w-7 1380'
E23t-6 1006'
F52t-8 2274'
G64w-10 3308'
51F36-9 (bs) 1696'
57F59-9 (wt) 1859'
56F120-9 (vx) 1837'
41F36-7 (ss) 1349'
107G83-9 (bs) 2994'
93G80-9 (sk) 2817'

I have started building. Have it up to installing fins. I used one length of kevlar cord epoxied to motor tube and have body tubes joined and motor tube assembly installed. Minor sanding and filing to nose cone shoulder got a nice fit. Loop of kevlar jb-welded to inside of nose cone. Fins will go on using my guillotine jig. Then the toughest part of the build. Finishing. The instructions layout the paint color lines and the black is taken care of by the vinyl decals.

Nice kit and going to be a hot rod mini rocket.

This must be a new kit, didn't see it listed on Madcow website. They have a few more of the mini 1.6 series kits.

FYI The printed fin alignment guide on the instruction sheet is not right.

I should be able to mark the lines, rotate the guide 90 degrees to check my lines and they line up, but they don't.

I think the guide is printed too short for the diameter of the tube. I even tried to go a quarter turn at a time and still came up wrong.

It's ok, I have other guides I can use. But another builder may not, and may not notice until it's too late.

Guess a nice note to Madcow should be sent informing them of this.

Great kit, I am glad I like to double check all my work and discovered this.

See ya,
Rod

Local hobby shop had it. I sent Madcow a nice email through their website. Maybe they reduced the size of the entire instruction sheet to fit a single sheet of standard paper. They also printed the painting guide on the reverse of the fin template. So can't lose the template. Now I am wondering if the cut decals will be right. Guess I will find out when I get that far.

I love the Patriot as well, and would love to own a copy of this kit, but, same story ... The Googles can find the instructions on their website, but I can't find the kit anywhere.

Anyone have any more info?

Got fins on and starting to apply small amounts of glazing putty to fill very tiny spiral groove and fill grain on fins. After that will prime and then figure out which lug option I want to use. Kit includes 1/4 in, but I think that may be a bit large for this size rocket. May use the maxi estes lugs, or even the new smaller rail buttons and carry my own rail.

This kit is the same physical size as the Estes kit, using motor tubes and ply fins for higher power flights. Will be fun to have it ready for a launch and hear the announcer try to explain the little rocket way out on the high power pads.

A few pics of the Patriot with the Estes model for comparison. Longer nose cone, longer narrower fins, and that huge 29mm mmt!

Mad Cow Patriot motor mnt.jpg

Mad Cow Patriot fins.jpg

Mad Cow Patriot nose.jpg

Mad Cow Patriot w: Estes.jpg

I'm curious. That nosecone looks a little long. How is it in scale?

I have one of these Patriot kits, I bought mine from 'Cool Rocket Stuff' at our yearly meeting in Jan. I flew it last week at Springfest on a G25 aero load (29/120). Wow, long burn is the ticket! This kit is a nice upgrade from the Estes kit. Better tubes, 29 mount and a nice fiberglass cone. My only draw back is that I put an Estes 29 retainer on the end, looked ok with just the screw part on the motor tube, but when I added the cap, it looked dorkie. I should have done something different. Nice kit, I think I paid around 40 bucks for it. It should fly many, many times. I found a few old G33 BlackJack motors, these should do the trick. Then we should play with some CTI stuff. Should fly alot this season.

I also got one from Roger, and as he is local to me, it arrived in one day. No shipping on orders over $40 and quick shipping means he has a customer as long as I am in the hobby.

I have a few other builds ahead of this one, but I am looking forward to building this one.

Steve

Back