pre cut G10 fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
Other than PML who else sells pre cut G10 fins? I rather not cut that material even if I have a full shop (because fiberglass dust is bad and it also dulls blades)

Are you looking for custom profiles? I'm pretty sure Wildman sells fin sets, not sure if he's doing custom work though. Give him a call.

Wildman sells bevelled 1/8 inch 54 mm Blackhawk fins and the fin templates. They are nice fins, a bit on the larger side. Bhe bevels are awesome. You can buy unbevelled 1/8 inch Madcow Tomach fins for $5.00 each or so. Close in size to Space Cowboy fins, but not as high tech. If you don't want to cut, you probably don't want to bevel fins. Madcow also sells Nike Smoke fins, I believe. They may sell fins from other kits. As mentioned above, GLR does a number of custom fins and custom beveling.

I would be happy to help with your project. UpscaleCNC can provide TRUE custom fins-- if you can draw them and they fit on the material we can make them up for you. Rocksim or OR files can be direct exported into our CAD/CAM software for production, we can work from dimensioned drawings or upscale a classic or....

Nat Kinsey
UpscaleCNC

Binder Design can also do that. We can import your planforms from most formats including pdf. I usually machine aluminum on the CNC, so G10 is cake. Custom fins, no problem, I do this for a living.;)

I can also make custom decals to fit those fins perfectly. Custom fins, rings, decals, we do it all here at Binder Design!

Last edited:
Other than PML who else sells pre cut G10 fins? I rather not cut that material even if I have a full shop (because fiberglass dust is bad and it also dulls blades)

I do understand not wanting to cut G10 in an apartment, but there are ways to do it safely with dust control and without dulling blades.

I keep a shop vac right by where I am cutting the G10, with the pickup hose taped to my work surface a few inches away from where I am cutting. After cutting, a quick wipe on the work surface with a damp paper towel takes care of the remaining dust.

A reinforced Dremel cutoff wheel is good for smaller G10 cuts.

Most high power fins can be fairly easily cut at home with a jig saw using a jig saw blade designed for fiberglass, such as the following:

https://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/carbide-grit-jig-saw-blades.aspx

When I do larger cuts on a band saw, the trick is, again, not to use a regular band saw blade, which will last about 4 seconds before being rendered useless. Use a band saw blade designed for fiberglass and composites and have the shop vac pickup right there for dust collection.

Having said all that, it is nice to have those G10 fins all precut when you sit down to build. Still worth sanding the fin edges to shape with a shop vac right there to collect the dust.

I think you'll need a pretty large bandsaw to support blades designed for cutting fiberglass, because they will most likely be too stiff for any wheel smaller than 18"

I beveled my G10 fins by using a file under running water. The water eliminates all dust. I have also used a block plane which can shave G10 without creating dust, however it also dulls the blade pretty fast.

I think you'll need a pretty large bandsaw to support blades designed for cutting fiberglass, because they will most likely be too stiff for any wheel smaller than 18"

I beveled my G10 fins by using a file under running water. The water eliminates all dust. I have also used a block plane which can shave G10 without creating dust, however it also dulls the blade pretty fast.

True on the size of the band saw. I have access to an large one with a composite cutting blade. I mentioned the band saw option last since you are in an apartment situation.

I actually prefer using the composite jig saw blade to cut G10 fins. That way, your cuts are not limited by the gate of the band saw.

The key point is that there are a number of ways to get the fins cut and shaped while controlling the dust, even in an apartment.

Last edited:
I can do some bevels, they're done with a chamfer bit in a traditional router table. 22.5 degree I think is the bit I have at the moment. It's not an ultra precise solution but it certainly beats a file. As for material- I can fit a 3' x 4' sheet, so if your fin will fit on that..... thickness, there's really no limit. I've cut 3/4" plywood with the same cutters used for G10. I think cost and weight could get prohibitive at around the 3/8 mark with G10/FR4 though!

Nat Kinsey
UpscaleCNC

I would be really scared to bevel fins on a router... Anytime I used small pieces near a router I have gotten a nasty surprise.

I haven't done small ones... :) These were big chunks of 3/16 G10 with a 12" root! I have the jigs to sand a 10 degree bevel with a sanding drum / drill press and have done very small fins that way but it's a pain and slow- each fin has to be stuck to the jig with double sided tape and then flipped for the other side.... no nasty surprises though!

Nat

I would be really scared to bevel fins on a router... Anytime I used small pieces near a router I have gotten a nasty surprise.

I've used bits like this to route 1/4" fins. Still need a steady hand, but much better than regular bits.

2vLSOBWMag.jpg

Back