1010 Rail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
Within minor allowance for reason, are all 1010 rails created fairly equal? The reason I ask, I found what appears to be a very nice 6' rail by a reputable company for under 20.00 and an identical looking rail from a rocketry supplier is 74.00. This just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

"Rocketry Companies" are likely just selling you that same rail, but because they are specializing in rocketry they are likely making 400% mark up or whatever on it. There are other Items out there that are similar in this Regard. Kevlar for Shock Cords comes to mind as a Prime example.
I got a 6' length of 1010 for like $18 from Sears. Would have been a great deal, but the top foot of it was bent in shipment. They refunded my Money, and I got to keep the rail, so I just cut it and now I have a 5' Rail instead.
Sometimes I get rocket stuff from Amazon.com, and it comes from places that have names that would indicate that they clearly are not Rocketry Companies, and thusly they don't think the stuff they have is "Special".

80/20 was the company I was looking at. But I didn't want to name names until I had a consensus. Kevlar is a new topic for me. I have a lot to learn about that stuff. Like how, apparently, size and strength are not universal. I have found the same size cord in drastically varying strength ratings. I just wondered if rails were similar.

Other than aesthetics, any reason why clear metal is better than black metal for 1010 rails? Motor burn effect, for example?

No they are both anodized and will wear and behave the same black is just dyed. One exception might be that the black will get hotter out in the sun for a day.

Don't forget to check the shipping charges when you are shopping. As I recall 80/20's shipping for a single 6' rail was more than the cost of the rail. Shipping for more than one might lower the cost per rail if you know anyone else who wants one. You can see if an industrial vendor like 80/20, Graingers, or Fastenal have local brick and mortar stores that they will ship to free or cheap and you can pick up there.

Some rocketry vendors will ship for free or cheap if you hit a cost threshold, like $100.

When I was shopping for 1010 rail, I never really found a great deal - cost plus shipping kind of equal out across the vendors. Perhaps my online shopping skills need honing.

Don

I got an 8 foot 1010 for 36 dollars shipped off Amazon. I guess it depends on location but if you're in the midwest, check it out.

I bought a 12ft piece from fastenal for $40 shipping was only $8

If you look on 80/20's web site there may be a fairly local company carrying the stuff. And their prices are very reasonable without shipping costs. In Dallas area I think a 12 foot rail was like $36.

Back