DIY launch rail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachLobster

Reaction score
Built a custom launch pad over the week. Still have to figure out how to make it angle, but I'm happy with it overall. The bird is my level 1 certification project (super DX3), that flies on valentines day!

pad1.jpg

pad.jpg

Very nice! Want to share your plans, materials, resources, etc? Everyone is always looking for affordable ways to build launchers.

I think you could buy a rail from McMaster or something right? Then all it is is build a tripod to hold it up...

I'm at work but I'll provide much more info later With some pics but he's right. Basically a tripod with a huge C shaped bracket to allow for lowering the rail to load. Trailer hitch pin through the bottom.

Built a custom launch pad over the week. Still have to figure out how to make it angle, but I'm happy with it overall. The bird is my level 1 certification project (super DX3), that flies on valentines day!

Excellent pad. As far as tilting it, I don't think it's needed. At BattlePark in VA we built all of our club pads without any method of tilting the rails, other then laying them down for loading. When they are tilted up and pinned in place, they are vertical. The only tilt is very slight and comes from the uneven ground they may be on. We have found we want the HPR pads to be as close to vertical as possible. Because of the longer burn times and higher altitudes of the HPR trying to tilt them based on ground level winds usually leads to more problems and issues than anything else. All of our HPR pads are set up vertical and with a few degree tilt away from the flight line.

Excellent pad. As far as tilting it, I don't think it's needed. At BattlePark in VA we built all of our club pads without any method of tilting the rails, other then laying them down for loading. When they are tilted up and pinned in place, they are vertical. The only tilt is very slight and comes from the uneven ground they may be on. We have found we want the HPR pads to be as close to vertical as possible. Because of the longer burn times and higher altitudes of the HPR trying to tilt them based on ground level winds usually leads to more problems and issues than anything else. All of our HPR pads are set up vertical and with a few degree tilt away from the flight line.

Thanks, I guess I originally meant to just level it off, angle was a poor word choice. You're right though I should be able to get away with it unless the launch site is extremely uneven. Thanks for helping to talk myself out of more work!

I went back over to paint my rocket last night and forgot to snap off more pictures of the pad, have my blinders on trying to finish up my cert. I'll get some tonight (hopefully)

That's cool. I like the hinge feature. I built mine with 2" pvc/fittings and a 6' piece of 1010 rail.

L1_zps6mimixqx.jpg

L2.jpg

Last edited:
I would suggest that you bring along 2 or 3 pieces each of 4" x 4" 1/2" ply, 4" x 4" 3/4" ply and 4" long pieces of 2 x 4s as "wobble removers". Unfortunately the ground at launch sites never seem as nice and level as the kitchen floor.

I'm not sure Mr. mite, I hope to fly a 2lb build soon hopefully. The 3' detachable legs afford a stable base and could be braced with small sand bags if needed. I'm thinking it would accommodate 5-6lb models ok.

Micromeister is still offline, so I'll play the role for now. Nice job on the launcher. One comment, that blast deflector doesn't look to provide much protection against the exhaust hitting the ground. What kind of surface do you tend to launch on, something pretty fireproof?

Don

I can change the angle of the deflector if needed. It's a 7" round. I've also got a 10" if needed.

Back