New Dremel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty handy. I find that when the tools are right at hand on the bench, they get used a lot more than if I have to rummage through the drawers or cabinets.

Given that it's battery operated, you can also toss it into the range bag and have with you at the launch. Better to have it with you and not need it than need it and not have it.

Looks pretty handy. I find that when the tools are right at hand on the bench, they get used a lot more than if I have to rummage through the drawers or cabinets.

Given that it's battery operated, you can also toss it into the range bag and have with you at the launch. Better to have it with you and not need it than need it and not have it.

I don't think the tool comes with any attachments. but I could be wrong? I wonder if the bits from the larger size Dremels like the 100 and 200 series are interchangeable? It would make sense if they were.

I don't know for sure that all attachments are interchangeable. OTOH, I can't imagine why Dremel wouldn't want their bits and such to fit all their tools.

Just happened to be at Walmart today...in the hardware aisle...looking at Dremel attachments...LOL! They had a fair selection but their prices were much better than what I've seen at Home Depot. Haven't looked at Amazon, tho.

FWIW I have a Model 395 corded Dremel tool and it's one of those things I have to rummage for. The tool you linked to would pretty much solve that problem.

I know that there are 4 different collet sizes and that their tools come with the 1/8 size so by changing the collet or having all 4 you could basically attach every bit they make.

I don't know, battery operated is nice for at the range, but around the shop I prefer a corded rotary tool with a flex-shaft and hand piece, otherwise i'm burning through batteries fairly quickly. It does look like a nice tool though.

It looks nice but I still love my Dremel with the power cord. Never needs a recharge!

I am with the couple others for the corded dremels, and/or with the flex wand.
Cordless is a huge plus at the range, though I would not make it my #1 dremel tool.
The 4 size collets comes in 1 package as accessories, and will adapt all to any acc. to tool.
Or any other accessory with the proper sized shaft.

I like both, but I also like the size of the new dremel. I called dremel today and they mention that they will be eliminating the all the collets except for the 1/8 size. The tool comes with 18 bits and the bits from others dremels are interchangeable.

While I agree that a corded model would be nicer being able to tote one around in the field for those just in case moments is really handy.

I have the Dremel drill bit set and I can use the larger bits. I am not sure what collet I need to get for the smaller ones in the set.

Saw one of the new cordless mini dremels a few hours ago at Lowes for $89.95. They do come with standard 1/8" tools. Nice looking machine with LEDs at the front to light up your work. Seems well made, heavy for its size and has variable speed. I'll probably get one for the range box this summer.

Hmmm. How the heck is that gonna work?
I've got one of these and like it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000302ZV/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

31wafoii6gL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing I did when I got a new Dremel was to change the collet for a three-jaw chuck. Most everything will now fit and I don't have to go looking for the right size collet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to replace my corded Dremel. My old one died after years of use but I couldn't justify the cost of an OEM. So I purchased one made by Wenn. It works fine with all of my bits but not with my attachments. :sad: The threads on the end of the housing and the collet are not compatible.
I have noticed that Menards has some on Dremel sets on clearance at a decent price point so I may pick one up as an early Birthday present to myself. :grin:

That's the one I disassembled the other night to clean out the rust, dust bunnies, and gunk. I even re-assembled the chuck. You really don't want to try this unless it's absolutely necessary. Trust me.
I've had no issues with mine and I mentioned it only because of the comments here about the future availability of only 1/8" collets.

EDIT: these people like it, too:

16365556287_64e5b33c10_b.jpg

Last edited:
Since we are one the subject of Dremels I will be selling my corded Dremel if anyone is interested. I had it a couple years but it sat the whole time. Its the 100 series single speed with all the bits. I was going to use it to on cutting RC bodies but its way to fast and melts the lexan plastic.

PM me an offer. I still have the instruction sheet and I think the box?

I went out and got one of these Saturday night. I like the light weight and the way that you can hold it like a pen or pencil. I've got to practice some more with it before using it on its intended victims, a couple of "inherited" rockets with globs of epoxy and needlessly square airfoils. My old, heavier, corded Dremel bit the dust last year; its heft helped when feathering out fillets and forming curved fin edges. The Micro tends to encourage you to hold it to the surface you're working on, in opposition to how Dremel says to use it.

Wow! how KEWL! a dremel with the Name "Micro" guess I'm gonna have to get a couple to replace my aging cordless Craftsmen 2-speed 4.8v cordless rotary tools. These new micros Look like exactly what I've been looking for....Thanks for the heads Up.

I'm still using a #260 corded dremel that belonged to my Mother from 1975. and have numerous other corded dremels hooked up to the various Dremel accessory tools: Drill Press, Router, Plunge Router, Router/shaper ect. More recently (Last 6 years) purchased a couple different fullsize Lith-ion Dremels that are REAL work horses. the Dremel 800a (10.8v) and 8200a. Yes they occasionally need to be recharged but if you carry and extra battery that is no problem at all.

Most of the corded Dremel tools work well in the house and I do still use them for lots of heavy work but have to say even in-house the Lith-ion battery dremels do all my finish and/or fine work.

As others have said the 4 collet set is a standard accessory and everyone should have a set or two. With these extra collets and/or keyless chucks any accessory up to 1/8" shank can be used. nor to the accessory tools need to be Dremel products. I buy 1/8" shank mill-end cutters from lots of drill and cutting tool distributors for use on every kind of material for balsa to Stainless Steel.

One work of warning about the keyless chucks: they do NOT always self center correctly. this is a Big problem when using very small or tiny drill bits and mill ends. I have a couple different keyless chucks direct from Dremel one works very well the other is almost useless for anything other then cut-off wheels or drum sanders as it just will not center correctly.

So rest assured just about any Dremel you come in contact with will be able to handle whatever tool or cutter you install:)

Dremel 260 Corded, My first Dremel (from Mom)_11-16-75.jpg

Dremel 800-a_10.8 Lith-Ion Rotary Tool softbag Kit_05-20-08.jpg

Dremel 8200-a_Lith-ion Rotary Tool Set_03-12-11.jpg

Dremel 8200-b_Lith-Ion Rotary Tool Set_03-12-11.jpg

Dremel Drill Press & Corded Dremel_New 03-11-97.JPG

Dremel Router Attachment & Corded Dremel_New 11-16-93.JPG

Dremel Plunge Router attachment_New 06-27-11.JPG

Dremel Router Shaping Table_07-23-10.JPG

Wow! how KEWL! a dremel with the Name "Micro" guess I'm gonna have to get a couple to replace my aging cordless Craftsmen 2-speed 4.8v cordless rotary tools. These new micros Look like exactly what I've been looking for....Thanks for the heads Up.

I'm still using a #260 corded dremel that belonged to my Mother from 1975. and have numerous other corded dremels hooked up to the various Dremel accessory tools: Drill Press, Router, Plunge Router, Router/shaper ect. More recently (Last 6 years) purchased a couple different fullsize Lith-ion Dremels that are REAL work horses. the Dremel 800a (10.8v) and 8200a. Yes they occasionally need to be recharged but if you carry and extra battery that is no problem at all.

Most of the corded Dremel tools work well in the house and I do still use them for lots of heavy work but have to say even in-house the Lith-ion battery dremels do all my finish and/or fine work.

As others have said the 4 collet set is a standard accessory and everyone should have a set or two. With these extra collets and/or keyless chucks any accessory up to 1/8" shank can be used. nor to the accessory tools need to be Dremel products. I buy 1/8" shank mill-end cutters from lots of drill and cutting tool distributors for use on every kind of material for balsa to Stainless Steel.

One work of warning about the keyless chucks: they do NOT always self center correctly. this is a Big problem when using very small or tiny drill bits and mill ends. I have a couple different keyless chucks direct from Dremel one works very well the other is almost useless for anything other then cut-off wheels or drum sanders as it just will not center correctly.

So rest assured just about any Dremel you come in contact with will be able to handle whatever tool or cutter you install:)

I have the same Dremel Drill Press Model 212 but mine has a Model 395 with keyless chuck and Dremel drill bit set.

And I used it a couple do days ago to drill out the wire management holes on an altimeter sled.

Glad to see you back posting, John.

Back