Loki Research 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that have flown the L1400, is there any reason to glue the grains for an aggressive flight? I know it isn't called out in the instructions, just looking for some reassurance.

I would suggest not doing anything not called out in the instructions. If grains need to be glued, it's because he needed to cut them to meet grain mass limitations for shipping.
Gluing a grain that wasn't meant to be would likely result in a more progressive burn because you are inhibiting two surfaces that were suppose to regress.

Also, WTF is up with this forum? Deleting posts and all the content, mostly from users because of a new, or newly enforced policy? If you want to crack down on unpaid vendor posts, fine, do that moving forward, not retroactively destroying content.

I would suggest not doing anything not called out in the instructions. If grains need to be glued, it's because he needed to cut them to meet grain mass limitations for shipping.
Gluing a grain that wasn't meant to be would likely result in a more progressive burn because you are inhibiting two surfaces that were suppose to regress.

Also, WTF is up with this forum? Deleting posts and all the content, mostly from users because of a new, or newly enforced policy? If you want to crack down on unpaid vendor posts, fine, do that moving forward, not retroactively destroying content.

Thanks. I was more talking about gluing the grains to the liner, so they are supported under high acceleration, not inhibiting the faces.

^^^^this^^^^

"Gluing grains" is most commonly referring to flying the casting tube to the inside of the liner. No performance is compromised for this.

Quickly here, because I'm out of time packing for Airfest.

Tailcone questions-
On the newer 54/2800 and 54/4000 cases, the end margin (distance from ends of case to outside edge of retaining ring) is now 0.200" just as all the other smaller cases have always been. I made the change so that these cases would fit in the same motor retainers that all the smaller 54mm cases do. So the nozzle will stick out 0.050" further if used on the older (<2016) hardware. Thank you to those who helped answer this in my absence.

kclo4 said:

Thank you. I could not have said it better without being more colorful. I saw it more as ransom after not receiving any response, ever from managment after my last message to them. This job and the work I do provide no luxuries other than testing new motors. It does not afford me $25/month so that I can post here what others do in the propulsion section, seemingly for free. Not a smart move if you want to keep your customers/users happy IMO. But I digress. Let us not ruffle feathers and lock threads.

CI(VII) said:
For those that have flown the L1400, is there any reason to glue the grains for an aggressive flight? I know it isn't called out in the instructions, just looking for some reassurance.
Nothing wrong with gluing in the grains on an L-1400. It would help (if anything) to keep the aft casting tube from spitting out if it's loose and potentially cracking the nozzle. Assuming you'll be at Airfest, find my truck, bring the reload & liner and I'll help you do it with silicone caulk. That's what I'll have on hand.

I'll be at Airfest down range with a 12x12 foot grey easy up and a red truck you can't miss. I'll have some PML 6" and 7.5" airframes and couplers, and bunch of CR's and BH's for them, a pair of 4'x4" Hawk Mountain FWFG airframes, a few older spiral would liners and casting tubes, maybe a 5gal bucket of R45-M, maybe a few 1 gal jugs, maybe a few 1 gal jugs of DOA, some 400um AP, a few remachined 54/1200 cases, new 2 grain 54/900 cases and some other odds and ends. Whatever I have time to pack.

If you stop by with questions and you see me assembling several big motors, let me know that you are there and where you are located, but please let me complete my work so as not to distract me enough to screw something up. Do not be afraid to tell anyone this as you are prepping for a flight or loading a rocket on a pad. That is not the time to chit chat with someone. Off the soap box now.
Thanks and I look forward to seeing many of you this weekend! :)

J528 LW. Very nice; flame almost as big as the rocket.:cool: Like it almost as much as the I405 LW.
DSC_1072s.jpg

After this flight, I went up to Teddy (Onebadhawk), and asked for a Cocktail load for the same case (38/720) to do another flight on the same rocket. Bummer, there isn't one ! (hint hint)

Back