Loki Research 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having not been to very many launches, but did go to LDRS and was able to see many Loki loads. Maybe it was me since I could always hear the load info, but the Lokis did seam alittle more of everything, sparkies were more sparky, they sounded stronger / more powerful, etc. I've been real happy with CTI and My vendor caries them. Still thinking of trying both to see for myself.

You won't be disappointed

Chuffing can also happen with propellants that are hard to light, even when running at very good chamber pressure. I see it often with Loki Red. It likes to spit the igniter on the really long loads.

Yea, David has got some really great shots of the J-820 star grain reload in this 2015 thread somewhere.

what sets LOKI apart from the others, specifically in the larger loads?
To add to what has been posted.
The single best reason I can think of is the reliability, not just of the larger reloads, but of all Loki Research reloads. Sure, there are a few motors here and there, but I can count on one hand how many warranty claims are filed each year. Those claims that are filed are 38mm reloads. I've heard from others who have told me they have seen a Loki reload cato at a particular launch here or there, but having never been contacted by these customers, I have to assume they are due to user error. Others have sold other reload brands off their false claims that Loki reloads will blow up your rocket, but the fact is that Loki Research reloads are extremely reliable when properly assembled and assembly is almost fool proof.....almost.

The reliability I believe can be traced back to quality control performed by myself. Every reload is cast and cut by me. The 38/1200, 54/2800 & 4000 and 76/8000 reloads are each cut and completely assembled before being bagged to ensure a proper fit and maximum propellant loading. If you'd ever seen the plastic models I've made, or the home electronic systems I've wired, you'd know how much of an anal stickler for attention to detail that I really am. I can't say that my suppliers like this attribute as much as my customers do.

I honestly can't remember a single 54mm reload warranty claim since I've been owner. The only 76mm claims I've had were when I first bought the company and I had received some crappy casting tubes that were burning away up the spiral seams, throwing chucks of propellant out the back end and cracking the nozzles. Since then (about 2012/13) I haven't had a single claim in 76mm. On a side note, you may see some tape on 38/740 reloads from time to time which is an easy way of keeping the bottom grains from spitting their casting tubes without having to glue them in. If the grains fit really tight, this isn't a problem, however it's really hard to get two different tubing manufacturers to get both tubes to fit within about +/-.003" of each other when each manufacturers tolerance is +/-.005".

Back on track here.... snap ring reloads are very easy to put together when you have a good pair of Knipex snap ring (retaining ring) pliers and most can be assembled very quickly. There are very few parts and the tracking smoke assembly is very easy. If you haven't been to the Loki Research website, go to the 54mm Hardware page (under the Products page) and watch the video on motor assembly at the top of the page.

As David mentioned, performance is a priority of mine, even more so than the founder of Loki Research. Looking at the same case size to other snap ring manufacturers, Loki reloads almost always deliver the more total Ns for each specific case size, sometimes by quite a lot. Even when you look at the comparable CTI or AT case sizes, the performance is usually right up there with them. When you get into the longest case lengths however, there's more performance in the comparable Loki propellant flavors, hands down. You can look for more high performance reloads in the future as well.

On a side note, every item I sell and manufacture is made from materials sourced and made here in the USA, except for the CTI/Loki Delay Adjustment Tools (DAT). Also, as David mentioned, I'm a small business. Each new customer that I pick up has a MUCH larger affect on the growth of my company than it does for my much larger competition. Whether that was true or not, I take each customers level of satisfaction with myself and my products very seriously. I know a lot of companies preach great customer service but I'd rather simply practice it religiously and let my customers do the preaching for me. I've been in sales for most of my adult life and I've dealt with very demanding customers who have even higher expectations. I realize just how important a customers satisfaction is. About 23 years ago, the head honcho for the entire Bose Retail Division said to our sales team, "If you ever do something for a customer that wasn't part of company policy, and your manager asks you "why did you do that?" if your answer is "to please the customer", then you did the right thing." He wanted to empower us with the knowledge that we each had the ability to do the right thing in the customers eyes. It may not have been what the manager wanted, but Bose knew which was more important to their success. I have never will forgot that and I never will. Now I won't give away the farm to make someone happy, LOL but I try to do what is fair and honest in their eyes.

That's about all I can think of on the larger reloads for now. :) Detail..... it can also be seen in my sometimes ridiculously long posts.....

When I find the cash, I will be purchasing your 54 hardware and reloads. I am really impressed when I watch a Loki flight and read your post's.

I am excited for next year.

You forgot star grain....

Yea, I could have simply respond with this photo...but I was drinking and felt all wordy like.....

Why do I like Loki? well....
21262355979_b85002140d_b.jpg

There is no doubt. ...
The J 820 is in a league of its own...
Of this,,,
Everyone happily agrees.......lol....

Teddy

Hey, you sold it...well two of it...to me :p

I've got one loaded in my closet. I sing sweet songs to it every night before bed.....

I'm going to need you to stop singing to it and go fly it....so you can order more from me :) I think you're due for an order anyway .👍

April at best :(

As for order....gonna be some EX orders coming your way in the next 6 months or so.... we'll see how those red 38/1200's go :)

gonna be some EX orders coming your way in the next 6 months or so

I'm assuming that was directed at me David. Ex products are only sold direct. There's little return on hardware and EX supplies compared to reloads and EX items normally don't sell reloads. There's not enough markup in liners/casting tubes, nozzles, ect. to have another person in the sales chain.

we'll see how those red 38/1200's go

We'll see how they go???
How they go??? :facepalm:
They're gonna rock your freakin world David, how do you think they're gonna go?
You're gonna think you're a super hero and forget who you are. :y:

I should put a disclaimer on the packaging. Not responsible for soiled shorts. :eyepop:

I should put a disclaimer on the packaging. Not responsible for soiled shorts. :eyepop:

True story: I was doing a shift as RSO at LDRS30 and after a rather large (and loud) O rocket took off I heard this over the 2-way, "Well, that wasn't a skidmark but that was the result."

I'm assuming that was directed at me David. Ex products are only sold direct. There's little return on hardware and EX supplies compared to reloads and EX items normally don't sell reloads. There's not enough markup in liners/casting tubes, nozzles, ect. to have another person in the sales chain.

Actually that one's at Chris for some gallon jugs. To fill the 54/1600 case, but I already have that ;)

We'll see how they go???
How they go??? :facepalm:
They're gonna rock your freakin world David, how do you think they're gonna go?
You're gonna think you're a super hero and forget who you are. :y:

HAHAHA That, would be amazing :) And I think they're gonna go high, loud and fast :)

Thanks for the response David, Scott, etc. now to see when all the 54mm gets back in stock, and I'll look at pulling the trigger. I have a LOC Magnum and a MAC Firestick that is in need :)

When I find the cash, I will be purchasing your 54 hardware and reloads. I am really impressed when I watch a Loki flight and read your post's.

I am excited for next year.

Thank you Kyle. I look forward to keeping you as a life long Loki Research flier.

Nick@JET said:
now to see when all the 54mm gets back in stock, and I'll look at pulling the trigger.

UPDATE - I spoke with Eric on the 54mm hardware and other open purchase order I have. He is hoping to get the 54mm tubing all cut up by the new year so that he can get the cases on the CNC the 1st week of January. That is his intent if things go smoothly over the next month. Eric hasn't exactly had it easy lately and I have cut him a lot of slack. Yelling and screaming at him isn't going to speed things up, and I'm glad no one is doing that with me. :) His dad had a heart attack a little while back and hasn't been thinking very clearly and there's been some employee issues he's had to deal with and a few people had to be let go. That's made his life a lot more stressful. I wouldn't be telling you all this if I thought he'd mind, and I wanted people to understand that things aren't always nearly as simple and easy as you might think, or as I might think they should be. We just have to make the best of it sometimes, take one day at a time and do the best we can to smile and think happy thoughts when we get stressed out. :)

I asked Eric to get on the 54/4000 cases first since there have been some people waiting a long time now for those. They also have to be anodized by themselves since they are so freakin long. I'd also like people to know that due to many long pieces of material drops, I'll be making a 54/850, 2 grain case, 9.850" long. I haven't yet decided how small of a nozzle throat to get for these yet, but I'll have to do that soon so I can get a drawing made up and get some ordered. It won't be high on my priority list though until I get all the other hardware out to those who are waiting. I do not plan on making any commercial reloads for these at this time. If there is overwhelming demand for this, and I mean overwhelming, then I will consider it.

Thank you,

I'll be making a 54/850, 2 grain case, 9.850" long. I haven't yet decided how small of a nozzle throat to get for these yet, but I'll have to do that soon so I can get a drawing made up and get some ordered. It won't be high on my priority list though until I get all the other hardware out to those who are waiting. I do not plan on making any commercial reloads for these at this time. If there is overwhelming demand for this, and I mean overwhelming, then I will consider it.

*PERK* I'll be honest... That's awesome. Of course I'd love a full shot of loads... but White would be the place to start I think. Another star may be unique enough to draw people in. I doubt there will be insane demand though. I'd also be in for a one grain....but I may just find a case someone blew up with enough meat left to save it.

I know 54mm is the bastard child of case sizes....but it also happens to be a really good spot for me in load costs per flight, and the Rocket sizes to fly.

Chuffing can also happen with propellants that are hard to light, even when running at very good chamber pressure. I see it often with Loki Red. It likes to spit the igniter on the really long loads.

Yea, David has got some really great shots of the J-820 star grain reload in this 2015 thread somewhere.

To add to what has been posted.
The single best reason I can think of is the reliability, not just of the larger reloads, but of all Loki Research reloads. Sure, there are a few motors here and there, but I can count on one hand how many warranty claims are filed each year. Those claims that are filed are 38mm reloads. I've heard from others who have told me they have seen a Loki reload cato at a particular launch here or there, but having never been contacted by these customers, I have to assume they are due to user error. Others have sold other reload brands off their false claims that Loki reloads will blow up your rocket, but the fact is that Loki Research reloads are extremely reliable when properly assembled and assembly is almost fool proof.....almost. .....

I've flown over a dozen 38s using red, blue and white propellants. The only problem I ever had was a long delay on a red and that was probably my fault for accidentally contaminating the delay grain with grease. Other than that , the loads have all been reliable. Thanks for making a great product. I'm looking forward to flying some 54s this coming season.

Take care,

Duane Wilkey
TRA 4295 NAR 63614 L3

I would like to wish everyone a very merry Christmas this evening. I hope everyone has had a happy safe and enjoyable time with their family and loved ones today and for the next several days, and be safe in your travels over the next few days.

My wife and I got back from her parents house this evening and are headed out in the morning to my aunts house in Ferguson tomorrow. There will be a house full of more than 2 dozen people packed into the kitchen, dinning room and living room tomorrow evening. I'm looking forward to it!
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

That is what the holidays are all about Scott..
A wonderful time with your family and friends and be very safe to ALL this holiday season...

Teddy

The 2016 thread disappeared (was there ever a 2017 thread?) so I'm continuing here.

Does anyone have dimensions or reference photos of an L1040 tail end? I want to see if I can fashion a little tail cone for it but I don't have the reload in-hand.

The 2016 thread disappeared (was there ever a 2017 thread?) so I'm continuing here.

Does anyone have dimensions or reference photos of an L1040 tail end? I want to see if I can fashion a little tail cone for it but I don't have the reload in-hand.

What details do you want? Dimensions of the single-use nozzle? I've got one I can photo/measure.

What details do you want? Dimensions of the single-use nozzle? I've got one I can photo/measure.

Nozzle dimensions and a reference photo would be fantastic. I'm interested in seeing how it all fits together (nozzle integrated into casing) so maybe I can make a tail cone that slips on.

OK, here are the dimensions, this is on the 2800 case:

Exposed nozzle length: 1.261
Exposed nozzle OD: 1.710
End of nozzle lip thickness: 0.18
Depth from case end to top of spiral retaining ring: 0.25

I measure case ID to be 1.933, so that makes the gap between the nozzle and the case to be 0.111.

Some photos:
Nozzle_angle.jpgNozzle_end.jpgNozzle_side.jpg

The photos were taken without the spiral ring in place (it is a bit of a pain to get in and out with a nozzle w/o-ring in place), but all measurements were taken with the ring in (just no o-ring on the nozzle). Let me know if you need anything else.

David

Ummm what the heck???

There was most definitely a 2016 thread and a 2017. Mods???? Where are they???

Not a mod, but I'm guessing that Scott @ Loki didn't pay the vendor fee so maybe they're nuking his threads?

Back