Loki Research 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine didn't need nose weight on any 29/180 or larger motor (Wildman style), but I was going for spot landing and used the 29/60. Too much tail weight.
Live and learn.

Adrian

motors in the nose are technically nose weight :p hehehehe

I LOVE the way the new hardware looks. I like the matching forward closure more than the hard annoed gold closure of old. I know it shouldn't matter but I am a sucker for that sort of thing.

the new blue is niiiiiiicccccccceeeeeeee.....

I don't understand all the Tim bashing. Tim is a great guy. Great guy. I've never seen a group of hobbyists so completely hell bent on destroying a man's reputation. Tim is a business man and a human. Would you like to read all this garbage about yourself on the internet? No? How much do you think Tim likes it? Seriously...
Scott and Tim have a dispute that they need to work out, and they shouldn't do it in public and certainly not on TRF.
All of our should stop. Tim makes great, GREAT rockets. We all know this.
Scott makes motors that many people love, and they're very loyal to.
So, anything and everything else that goes on between the two of them is their business. Period. I'm getting pretty tired of people bashing people they don't have any reason to do so.
Tim is a great guy and a good friend of mine. Scott is a great guy and a good friend of many of you. I've never met him, but many of you are fiercely loyal to him.
Can we please just get back to the business of rocketry, you know, the HOBBY we're all here to enjoy?

But you don't think Scott makes great GREAT motors?

Personally, I fly WILDMAN rockets with LOKI motors. J

Can the adults here just agree to leave the LOKI stuff out of the Wildman threads, and the Wildman stuff out of the LOKI threads?

You got a beef with LOKI? Put it in a LOKI thread and stop trolling WILDMAN.

You got a beef with Wildman? Put it in a Wildman thread and stop trolling LOKI.

LOKI and WILDMAN wanna push each other’s buttons? How about we make a CAGEMATCH thread and, if they both come back from their time in the healing chair, THEY can fight it out, and everyone that wants to dogpile in on that can do it THERE.

It just amazes me how much bandwidth that is wasted here with the character assassination in each other’s threads (and they’re BOTH guilty of it, as well as their most fervent supporters). What makes it worse is the team effort that ultimately ensues. And for the record, the only ones I’ve seen lately are the Wildman guys gunning in the LOKI threads. You decide who’s got an axe to grind?

If I thought a paying subscription here would make any difference, I’d pay to lobby the Gods of Rocketry/TRF owners/moderators to post the final and only “I HATE YOU” thread and appoint a full time moderator to scrub the daily posts and cut/repost all the junk into LOKI/WILDMAN CAGEMATCH thread, just so I could discuss rockets in WILDMAN threads and motors in LOKI threads without all the BS.

I LOVE the way the new hardware looks. I like the matching forward closure more than the hard annoed gold closure of old. I know it shouldn't matter but I am a sucker for that sort of thing.

Aawwhh I like the gold closures.

TA

NO

I am right up there with a Jack Russell Terrier puppy diagnosed with ADHD and with a Meth problem.

Details, who needs them? I got the BIG PICTURE.

Technically I HAVE seen a Loki motor CATO before...but none of the grains had lit. So the flyer found all the parts, put the motor back together, and it flew perfectly that time.

And here I am just wishing for a 360!

Why a 360? I'm not being a smart ass a really want to know if i'm missing something fun. I want a 54mm 425 or the like.

The 38mm 1200 is a hooot so +1 to the longer the better.

TA

Technically I HAVE seen a Loki motor CATO before...but none of the grains had lit. So the flyer found all the parts, put the motor back together, and it flew perfectly that time.

giggle - laugh - cough - snort
This is the launch photo after I put it back together.
rocketober_2013-58.jpg

But for a real CATO, there was this one. I take full responsibility for it. I screwed up the delay grain and this was the result.
I miss my Small Endeavor.
SmallEndeavorCato-5.jpg

Why a 360? I'm not being a smart ass a really want to know if i'm missing something fun. I want a 54mm 425 or the like.

The 38mm 1200 is a hooot so +1 to the longer the better.

TA

To be able to fly my home field with some of my rockets. The 240 is not quite enough, and the 480 is too much. Without a 360 (bridging between a big H and a little I), I'm constrained to AT or CTI and spacers. If Loki had a 360, his brand is probably all I'd fly in 38mm.

Bigger, higher, faster is all well and good, but some days that's just not in the cards if I wanna burn Loki motors. Best bet for me is either 3 hours north or 3 hours south to take advantage of what a 480 has to offer.

Last edited:
LOL, gotta ask..... miss a snapring?

I did that on a 24mm Ex H motor ground test in the forward snap ring. Ring wasn't seated and when the button was pushed, heard a brief pop and the casing went 75 feet into the air and came down.
(Motor was nozzle up in the ground) There were minimal burn marks on the grains so I eventually reassembled it and fired it. Holee mollee, did it burn. Graphite nozzle was single use after that.
Those high L/D motors are something. Kurt

LOL, gotta ask..... miss a snapring?

No quite. Like in ksaves2 post above, the forward snap ring wasn't seated properly. It just popped when the button was pushed.
And the follow up flight was very cool.

Since these two incidents, I have had a perfect record flying Loki Research motors. Good product, good manufacturer.

I just flew my scratch "Europa Express" again..
I know you'll laugh but this thing is so heavy it feels like it's full of concrete..
54mm central and 2 -- 38 mm outboards..
It was a bit windy..
With the rocket carrying 2-- 38 / 1080 J 575 FJ's in the outboard tubes I wasn't taking any chances with the central motor off the pad,, that's a lot of weight.....
The venerable K 960 W.....
Man,, that rocket left the pad like you lit 2 sticks of dynamite under it...
What a great flight...
The Loki K 960 W burn is 2 seconds...
I set the altimeter to light the 2 outboards at 4 seconds...
I thought that was quite risky / late.....
The rocket was moving so fast that the ignition still looked a bit too early........
That K 960 is just unreal...
I've got to get some pics of this up as soon as I get them out of the camera....

Scott,,,
You make one heck of a load man..........

( OH,, by the way,, I need some more,, particularly the K 960,, lol )...

Teddy

I just flew my scratch "Europa Express" again..
I know you'll laugh but this thing is so heavy it feels like it's full of concrete..
54mm central and 2 -- 38 mm outboards..
It was a bit windy..
With the rocket carrying 2-- 38 / 1080 J 575 FJ's in the outboard tubes I wasn't taking any chances with the central motor off the pad,, that's a lot of weight.....
The venerable K 960 W.....
Man,, that rocket left the pad like you lit 2 sticks of dynamite under it...
What a great flight...
The Loki K 960 W burn is 2 seconds...
I set the altimeter to light the 2 outboards at 4 seconds...
I thought that was quite risky / late.....
The rocket was moving so fast that the ignition still looked a bit too early........
That K 960 is just unreal...
I've got to get some pics of this up as soon as I get them out of the camera....

Scott,,,
You make one heck of a load man..........

( OH,, by the way,, I need some more,, particularly the K 960,, lol )...

Teddy

Sounds like a wicked ride, to bad it didn’t happen, No pictures... ;)

TA

hahahahah,,
Todd,,
KKKKK
I gotta do the pic's,,,
kk
lol....

Teddy

I don't know if I've posted these before but this was from October 2014. The rocket is a Binder Design Certifire and it's flying on a Loki Research I316 Spitfire.

Rocketober-a77-62.jpg
Rocketober-a77-63.jpg
Rocketober-a77-64.jpg

I don't know if I've posted these before but this was from October 2014. The rocket is a Binder Design Certifire and it's flying on a Loki Research I316 Spitfire.

Rocketober-a77-62.jpg
Rocketober-a77-63.jpg
Rocketober-a77-64.jpg

Our RSO won't let us fly sparkies when the grass is that dry. Damn nice looking flight!!!

The Loki Spitfires are just amazing...
If you're a sparky fan,,,
these are IT....

Teddy

The wet situation at Midwest Power 13 lent itself to the safe display of sparky motors. Quite a few this year. In the past, the fire team had been kept busy sometimes putting out the corn stubble fires. Kurt Savegnago

Our RSO won't let us fly sparkies when the grass is that dry. Damn nice looking flight!!!

That was last October and it had been raining most of the week. In addition, there is a very clear area around the pads. Lastly, these pads are 300' out so there are some optics taking place here that makes it look like I'm launching from the middle of a dense sage brush patch, but trust me, I'm not.

Oh and notice the fire extinguisher in the first two pictures?

Back