Loki Research 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on flying a cluster flight at the end of August using 2 I430 blues and an AT J460T. Are the Loki blue motors as quick to light as the blue thunder? I'll be using the same igniter for all of them.

It's been a while since a flew a blue motor. I normally go for the white or red since they have a far more visible flame, and sparkies are no-gos on our (sadly) former flying field.

David, that's another great lift off shot. Feel free to send me a copy. I answered AlfaBrewer's email off line the best I could. Let us know how the flight goes Chuck.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. You all have been keeping me very busy. Thank you! If you haven't seen, new 38mm cases and bulkheads are in stock and shipping, once I get caught up with current orders.

I've also picked up a new (soon to be announced) dealer who'll be loaded for bear at his next launch this weekend. He just about cleaned me out, everything from 38/120's to 54/2000's, and I mean everything! He took a quarter of my last batch of white, which was 37.5kg. Yeah buddy!!!

Oh, and congratulations to David Abmayr on his successful Level 3 on the M-1650 Cocktail! I should have 4-5 more of those in time for Airfest I hope.

Also, I just realized that I never posted this picture. Jim Scarpine's Starleopard at LDRS going up on a Loki Research M3464 blue.

Scott, feel free to use on your website. :)

DSC_6977.jpg

DSC_6978.jpg

Despite I the famed debates on TRF, I think it's unlikely for a far less exciting reason. Tim deals in volume and discount. Scott runs top quality, and low. Volume, comparably to AT and CTI.

Scott can't give the volume discounts AT/CTI can, and Tim can't dedicate trailer space to a third line of motors.

Nothing wrong with either business. They're just not very compatable.

Well if you've got a launch to attend tomorrow, you better bring some extra cash just in case there's a line up of beautiful blue snap ring motors on somebody's table. The Haz-Mat reloads made it there in time, but the USPS has got the smaller <30g grain 38mm motors on a slow boat to.... uhhh, well,.... you'll all find out soon enough. ;-)

David, you, Eric and Mark are all correct.

Oh yeah.... if I ever find time for myself, Eric Foster sent me this little 38mm gem I spec'ed out for him. I might add, he nailed it! :)

38_3600_Small.jpg

Oh yeah.... if I ever find time for myself, Eric Foster sent me this little 38mm gem I spec'ed out for him. I might add, he nailed it! :)

38_3600_Small.jpg

That would make a hilarious no hazmat shipping motor...75 individually packaged and sealed grains, some assembly required.

Is that so you can make a 38 mm L? It looks like it is in the right neighborhood on length.

I recently flew my first Loki motor, a J528 White, and I loved it. Assembly is simple, and I'm glad there is assembly, it lit fast, and gave a great boost. I was very impressed and it was the first in a long line of Loki for me. Scott is also great to talk to and very helpful. Win-win.

Last edited:
Scott is also great to talk to and very helpful. Win-win.

I screwed up building a motor and made it "not good". Sent an email and that day I'm talking on the phone with the guy who made it (Scott) working to fix my messup. That's just amazing.

And I didn't know he was into javelin throwing..... :)

Last edited:
That would make a hilarious no hazmat shipping motor...75 individually packaged and sealed grains, some assembly required.

Is that so you can make a 38 mm L? It looks like it is in the right neighborhood on length.

All I can say is OH YEAH. I kinda feel sorry for the poor rocket that that thing has to fit.

38-3600...the Fisher Challenge?

Ahhhhh, Remember what happened there. Ripped some fins off and as I recall, was a very very intensive preparation process. I think one has to embrace erosiveness and figure a way to make it work. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head besides Mike or Scott who'd have the smarts to pull it off. Me suspects Scott might already have his hands full running L.R. though. Kurt

Ahhhhh, Remember what happened there. Ripped some fins off and as I recall, was a very very intensive preparation process. I think one has to embrace erosiveness and figure a way to make it work. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head besides Mike or Scott who'd have the smarts to pull it off. Me suspects Scott might already have his hands full running L.R. though. Kurt

There was a thread in the research section where Scott mentioned replicating the Fisher 38mm L. I am sure that Scott can do it and will likely post data.

If that is a 60" case it should spec out to be 3800 to 4200 ns motor ( depending on grain geometry. .

It's a "Yin Yang" length case, if that tells you anything. LOL

Dan, yes. I aim to claim myself a fin can for it! :)

Kurt, you're dead on with your last sentence, but I deserve to give myself a little fun on the side at least once a quarter. At least I try to anyway. :)

Back