Loki Research 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody flying Loki at MWP 13? I'm going to at least be doing a J712 or 528 or 320 in a Wildman Jr no less. I haven't decided which one. (I got'em in storage already so's not in a supply problem) Kurt

I'm planning to fly a Loki 54/2800 as well - K830 Spitfire.

Be certain to get some pic's of that lift off...
You won't regret it...

Teddy

Absolutely. In fact, I'm hoping to have a pad camera this time in addition to my handheld camera back in the spectator area.

I have two requests to everyone flying Loki Research motors.

1) On your flight cards, write out "Loki Research" under manufacturer, and write out the propellant type behind the motor designation.
Example, "I-430 Loki Blue" instead of "I-430 LB". I know space is limited on many cards, but please try if you can.

2) When bringing your flight card to the LCO, please ask him or her, "Would you please specifically announce my motor as a Loki Research motor before giving the motor designation? I want to help support Loki Research and create brand awareness for their products. Thank you very much."

That might sound like a mouthful, but it tells them what you would like them to do, and it gives them the reason why you want them to do it. It creates more urgency and focus on the task.

There are so many reloads on the market today and Loki Research makes up a small percentage of those. Loki Research isn't the first thing people think of when they are trying to name a flight motor. Not always, but far too often I hear and see Loki Research motors flown and the only thing said by the LCO is the motor designation. Sometimes this is inadvertently done, but there are some locations where the brand name has been specifically omitted since the person announcing it does not sell said motor. In those instances (Mike, Dan, & Kurt) this is even more important.

People won't necessarily remember a "K-830 SF" but they will far more likely remember Loki Research if they hear "Loki Research K-830 Spitfire". If customers want to help Loki Research grow in popularity both locally and nationally, this is the best thing any customer can do, next to flying Loki Research motors. The same goes for the videos people post online of their flights. As Loki Research grows, customers will gain more reloads to choose from, and I think we will all benefit from that. ;-)

I would greatly appreciate everyone's help (both fliers and LCO's) in this regard.

Thank you so much,

I did this at LDRS and got multiple comments off of it. On the flight card, Loki Research was underlined and circled with a note saying MENTION LOKI. Got a few laughs from the flight line. :)
I have two requests to everyone flying Loki Research motors.

1) On your flight cards, write out "Loki Research" under manufacturer, and write out the propellant type behind the motor designation.
Example, "I-430 Loki Blue" instead of "I-430 LB". I know space is limited on many cards, but please try if you can.

2) When bringing your flight card to the LCO, please ask him or her, "Would you please specifically announce my motor as a Loki Research motor before giving the motor designation? I want to help support Loki Research and create brand awareness for their products. Thank you very much."

That might sound like a mouthful, but it tells them what you would like them to do, and it gives them the reason why you want them to do it. It creates more urgency and focus on the task.

There are so many reloads on the market today and Loki Research makes up a small percentage of those. Loki Research isn't the first thing people think of when they are trying to name a flight motor. Not always, but far too often I hear and see Loki Research motors flown and the only thing said by the LCO is the motor designation. Sometimes this is inadvertently done, but there are some locations where the brand name has been specifically omitted since the person announcing it does not sell said motor. In those instances (Mike, Dan, & Kurt) this is even more important.

People won't necessarily remember a "K-830 SF" but they will far more likely remember Loki Research if they hear "Loki Research K-830 Spitfire". If customers want to help Loki Research grow in popularity both locally and nationally, this is the best thing any customer can do, next to flying Loki Research motors. The same goes for the videos people post online of their flights. As Loki Research grows, customers will gain more reloads to choose from, and I think we will all benefit from that. ;-)

I would greatly appreciate everyone's help (both fliers and LCO's) in this regard.

Thank you so much,

Will do, I have always wrote down Loki but I will write the whole name out and make and extra effort to get it noticed. I found out about the motors on my own but I did notice a guy in our club at our launched them but they did not announce what brand. It would have sure helped in the process if it was announced.

It wasn’t till later with my own research and subsequent purchase that I realized what motors they where. I like to announce the motors when I'm on the flight line but most people don’t write witch brand, plenty of noobs that don’t know by the motor designation what brand it is.

I don’t think its asking to much especially if we want to keep flying Loki, best way to keep them coming is getting them noticed.

TA

I always get Loki down, and usually gets announced. I can see some confusion with Research being said, especially at NAR launches....but over time people may get used to it.

Oh, here's some notice...

I've splashed this video all over, but what's once more ;)

[youtube]euJD8tX0Sew[/youtube]

J820 Loki White in my MAC 3" Villain with 30" booster
21579463718_09eb095fa7_c.jpg

Someone else's (missed the name) I405 Loki White in a 3" G3
21755447202_b244135262_c.jpg

Last edited:
I generally write "LOKI X-XXX" down on my flight cards, and they get announced that way more often than not. In fact, the LCO often remarks about the fact that it's a Loki, due to it being "different" than all the AT/CTI stuff being flown - something unusual and cool.

If all goes well, I'll be at TRA Vegas Oktoberfest, and of the 13 motors I'll likely fly, 5 of them are Loki (also 5-CTI, 2-AT, 1-Gorilla).

I fly a bunch of brands, and they all have their pluses/minuses. Honestly, I probably fly CTI mostly but that's as much to do with availability (and the fact that I fly a fair bit of 29mm/24mm as well) as anything else. But I'm very much a Loki fan - I love the motors and flights, the quality and attention to detail is absolutely top notch, Scott is "good people" to do business with, and I think deserving a bit of a shout out. I'm happy to try and drive a bit more attention and business Loki's way. Those of you who try and fly them won't be disappointed.

Did my L2 cert on a Loki motor too - 'twas a very sweet flight.

s6

Last edited:
Flew a BadaXX Loki load this weekend and was very pleased as usual but I gotta say I had some concerns with this particular load. It was purchased from Chris Short and I am at this launch Saturday and (I'm getting texts and emails from both Chris AND Scott. They walked me thru the assembly (not that Loki loads are hard to assemble, but I had issues with the liner) and the flight went picture perfect. Now that is what I call (freaking awesome) customer service!!

Flew a BadaXX Loki load this weekend and was very pleased as usual but I gotta say I had some concerns with this particular load. It was purchased from Chris Short and I am at this launch Saturday and (I'm getting texts and emails from both Chris AND Scott. They walked me thru the assembly (not that Loki loads are hard to assemble, but I had issues with the liner) and the flight went picture perfect. Now that is what I call (freaking awesome) customer service!!

I've been on the phone with both those guys. Never let me down....even when I SERIOUSLY screwed up, Scott had great advice on how to fix it.

Loki's 54mm LE Phenolic liner held up wonderfully in my 54-1750 moon burn motor this weekend! AltAcc2C's plot seems to suggest a 5.25s burn time (will need to confirm). No other provisions were taken to insulate the case.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419617592.375166.jpg

54mmMoonLiner - 1.jpg

The guys at High Frontiers were great about announcing the Loki Research loads.

Here's a pic of my J300 Red flight from yesterday.

Scortch J300 Red.jpg

There were several fliers using Loki motors. It was great to see, as I'm the only one in my club currently flying Loki. I'm working on changing that. I know at least one other DARS member has a Loki case.

There were several fliers using Loki motors. It was great to see, as I'm the only one in my club currently flying Loki. I'm working on changing that. I know at least one other DARS member has a Loki case.
You now have a partner in crime sir.

The guys at High Frontiers were great about announcing the Loki Research loads.

Here's a pic of my J300 Red flight from yesterday.

View attachment 273148

I saw that flight. I heard Loki J300 and my head turned. Beautiful rocket and that J300 red was perfect. I got my level 2 with a Loki J300. I have heard that the red motors are difficult to light but Scott told me to put a bunch of metal in my igniters and I have had no problem. Does anyone else clean your Loki cases in the dishwasher?

I saw that flight. I heard Loki J300 and my head turned. Beautiful rocket and that J300 red was perfect. I got my level 2 with a Loki J300. I have heard that the red motors are difficult to light but Scott told me to put a bunch of metal in my igniters and I have had no problem. Does anyone else clean your Loki cases in the dishwasher?

Honestly with the new liners they don’t need much cleaning I found, I just run a paper towel down them and its good to go. The longer motors get a bit more grimy because of the extra grease I use so the liners come out easier. Haven’t had the need for the dishwasher yet but I might throw my bulkheads in they get pretty nasty.

TA

Honestly with the new liners they don’t need much cleaning I found, I just run a paper towel down them and its good to go. The longer motors get a bit more grimy because of the extra grease I use so the liners come out easier. Haven’t had the need for the dishwasher yet but I might throw my bulkheads in they get pretty nasty.

TA

You must be a bachelor as my other half would have divorced me if I gunked up "her" dishwasher with "motor crud". That would be the end of me..... One advantage to being married to Mrs. Clean is I enjoy more frequent bed changes
and "cleaner" jammies. Kurt

You must be a bachelor as my other half would have divorced me if I gunked up "her" dishwasher with "motor crud". That would be the end of me..... One advantage to being married to Mrs. Clean is I enjoy more frequent bed changes
and "cleaner" jammies. Kurt

You assume my wife does the dishes, I could wash a car engine in there and she wouldn’t know it.

TA

You assume my wife does the dishes, I could wash a car engine in there and she wouldn’t know it.

TA

Yeah you're right I apologize for the stupid sexist assumption but another alternative would be a bachelor situation. By yourself you can do whatever you want. :wink:

I step on the tile floor with anything other than house slippers, I get the "glare/stare".:eyepop:

Kurt Savegnago:)

I only wish my wife would clean up more, as it is now, it's her that makes the largest part of the mess in my house. I haven't seen mi kitchen island in years, it's buried under a ton of crafting supplies. All my doing I might add it was me that encouraged her to pick up a hobby so she would get off my back about mine. She does get cranky when I do fill up the sink with my Loki motor parts. I get the, "whats that smell!" complaint.

TA

Speaking of Loki Spitfire drag race, this is the video that made the decision for me to buy Loki.

[video=youtube;R6yHWKofzb0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6yHWKofzb0[/video]

TA

Awesome comments everyone! Very cool. Y'all know how to make me smile. :)

As old as that L-780 video is Todd, I still made those two reloads. ;-) That was a highlight that day of Red Glare. The cloud cover was so bad, not much big stuff was going up. In this case it was a pair of 7.5" Goblins. What a crowd pleaser!

Back