Loki Research 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My custom made and anodized 76/3500 shows the effect of a large graphite nozzle on a case with many firings. The case is reddish pink, but the exact length that the nozzle occupies is significantly lighter in color than the rest of the case.

This is likely due to the heat soak of graphite through motor burn coupled with the ambient burn of the 1.5" long by 1.75" diameter smoke grain.

I'm traveling on business and can't take a picture, but it shouldn't be terribly hard to visualize.

couple other flights I forgot to add... coleman's flying case on a J1000- one day I'll get one of his MD's in frame :facepalm:
20389952973_1051d9c7d6.jpg
20822935960_83ffdd1f64.jpg

RKeller's scarab 54 on an H160 nice ghost of blue in that little puncher.

21008680855_e1f5b50960_z.jpg
20387623163_507e1f0898_z.jpg

hahahaha,,
I don't know about that one Dave...
The only way you're going to get one of Coleman's minimum D's in frame after pressure up
is to back wayyyyy away from it with the lens.......

You guy's had some great flights...

Good for you man...

Teddy

Happiness is a Loki I405 in a 3.5lb rocket. I spanked the stupid off my Minnie Magg today and brought it back under a 32" Sky Angle. Talk about a gorgeous flight, hang time for days. Sucks that there wasn't any pics though. I should probably get to a launch where Diz is flying one day.

Great shots David. Thanks for posting them. I'm anxious to hear about the flight performance Michael. Anyone know whose pad cam that was?

Ted, I'm sorry, I believe I forgot to respond to your email this past week. It's been a busy one Thank you for the photos as well. Very nice. Glad you liked that L-930.

Ted's photos...... the first rocket looks to be an EX zinc/white motor, then an L-780 Spitfire (after the flag photo) another rocket and an L-930 Loki White.
https://onebadhawk.com/mars-8222015.html

Thanks to both the fliers and photographers. :)

Hey Scott,

The rocket hit 15,750' @ Mach 1.87, and was located 2.4 miles away. The pics and video are from Dave and Coleman AKA Rockethunter. As mentioned in another thread, that K830 SpitFire is awesome. The sparks are crazy and I wish I could of captured the noise, for a K motor is was seriously loud and best of all it gives nothing up on the performance.

Last edited:
Hey Scott,

The rocket hit 25,750' @ Mach 1.87, and was located 2.4 miles away. The pics and video are from Dave and Coleman AKA Rockethunter. As mentioned in another thread, that K830 SpitFire is awesome. The sparks are crazy and I wish I could of captured the noise, for a K motor is was seriously loud and best of all it gives nothing up on the performance.

Uh, what? The waiver at Geneso is 9k...

18K or 25K would of been nice but it was definitely under the waiver. I have 2 altimeter logs and the .kmz file from the GPS. Chris, I used the TeleGPS you sold me, which saved a tonne of time tracking it down...great product!

Glad you like it. Do you need anything else for it?

Reelax people. It's a K830 in an MD. Gravity being in full effect at potter, that's not breaking 17K on a perfect day. Waiver was 18K as mentioned.

Don't be all crazy jumpy.

I thought I'd see this all sort out before I mentioned the fact that Kyle Cornelius's MD 54 rocket went ~29,450 on an L-2050 at Airfest last year, so there was no way a K-830 would come remotely close. I thought it must have been a typo, which it was.

I can't wait to see what it does on an L-1040 Red. Dan Crank flew one this weekend in his 3" Wildman to 14,815 with a camera shroud sticking out. You shouldn't have any problem breaking 20K in a MD.
[video=youtube;bsM5w10G-fE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsM5w10G-fE[/video]

Picked up my case and loads last night from a friend....

Yummmm. How to make this fit in the Punisher? We'll see...

Wait, is it already starting to snow in NY!?

In case anyone is wondering, this is a monolithic grain. I use two sections of left over liner cut offs and join them somewhere in the middle. It helps me save on material and and the waist I throw away.

The ends are marked as such since the nozzle end is tapered ever so slightly smaller on that end. Putting that end at the nozzles produces a bit cleaner faster motor burn out with less tail off. Also, since there is a piece of tape around the grain where the liner sections meet (to hold them in place as-is) the grain doesn't move in the liner. Because of this, the "nozzle" end has .25" of liner shoulder vs the "bulkhead" end having ~.30" of liner shoulder. Things go together the 1st time this way. No liner burrs to sand off either. ;-)

Attention to detail = Loki Research

Thanks Dave. :)

Oh yea, what's even cooler is the star/flower pedal shaped ring of slag left on the nozzle. It stays in place when fired on the test stand. Hard recovery landings, maybe not.

I thought I'd see this all sort out before I mentioned the fact that Kyle Cornelius's MD 54 rocket went ~29,450 on an L-2050 at Airfest last year, so there was no way a K-830 would come remotely close. I thought it must have been a typo, which it was.

I can't wait to see what it does on an L-1040 Red. Dan Crank flew one this weekend in his 3" Wildman to 14,815 with a camera shroud sticking out. You shouldn't have any problem breaking 20K in a MD.

The L1040 in my 54mm MD Tomach sims to 25,000' @ Mach 2 and my extended Tomach sims the L2050 to 29,000' @ Mach 2.3...Airfest XXII is calling me.

This is SO lost in the business world these days--thanks out to you Scott!

I agree completely...
Sometimes it seems as though nobody cares about anything anymore...
The only thing that matters is how long it takes to get it done,,
Not the finished product at all....

I like being meticulous,,
I find a great deal of self satisfaction in it...

I honestly feel this way about these Loki Research loads and hardware...
You can see and feel quality...

This above all else is the reason I took on Loki Research...

My greatest compliments Scott...

Teddy

Back