Loki Research 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my first 2 pieces of Loki hardware a 38/740 and a 54/2800. They are awesome and I am dying to fly them. Unfortunately that will have to wait till the fall.

20150629_234205.jpg

Last edited:
To be clear, I totally jacked up this K1127 load. Seized the top 3 grains gluing them in, cut a half inch off the second grain, and glued it on to the top of everything and made a motor out of it. Nozzle got cooked, crumbled the edge when I pushed it out. I share it now just for curiosity sake, it's not representative of the commercial load.

The J1026 looked great. liner held up well. Awesome motor. I did not glue the grains in this motor, they fit snug into the liner. Not a ton of pressure, just snug.

19141887470_48f6f18537_k.jpg

Lesson learned, dry fit better before gluing grains. ><

Last edited:
forgot to add I got these guys in while away at LDRS. 38/480 and 38/740. The silver ones are a pair of 38/240 EX cases Patell made for me.

19194967456_5eaaf864f9_c.jpg

Thank you for all the posts everyone. Sorry I haven't been around much. It's been a crazy week. In addition to the usual work load, it the past week there's been an emergency room visit, 2 flash floods, 2 tornado warnings, at least 10-12 inches of rain at my back porch, lots of product coming in and going out and a batch of white that I haven't even half completed yet. So if I seem to be short and to the point, or slow to reply in my communications, I do apologize.

David McCann, what can I say dude, you rock! Your feedback is awesome and your photos are even better. Thank you sooooooo much :)

Brian Wadsley, that is a sick looking flight on that M-1650! Very cool!

Wayne & Sharon, I am thrilled to have you both as Loki Research customers now. You have made a smart decision. :)

Matt, your enthusiasm is great!

Mark, I agree about Davids camera shroud. Maybe not an easy 10K, but very close. MD 38mm rockets go around 14-14.5K on a J-1000 I think.

Rich, thanks again for your business!

If I ever get the free time, I'll crop and load some more photos from LDRS 34. here's a link for now, courtesy of David McCann. YAAAAAAAAY DAVID!!!! :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31757945@N05/sets/72157654948168250

The big blue rocket is Jim Scarpines 7.5" diameter Starleopard. I don't know how tall it is, but it is big! The black 54mm MD rocket is Michael Pitfield's Level 2 flight on a Loki K-350 to 16k'. Thank you Michael and congratulations. Way to do it in style man! The other rocket you should all recognize by now. ;-) Thanks again David.

I would like to apologize that I did not make it more clear earlier that the 38mm re-manufactured cases were available. I have had my hands so full that I have not had time to get the page updated. There are (4) 38/480 cases left, (7) 38/240 cases left and (4) 38/120 cases left. These are now shown on the Loki Research Specials page.

Also added at the bottom of the specials page, 38mm bulkheads are only $16! There are only (3) plugged bulkheads left. There are about a dozen delay style bulkheads at this price. If you need an extra 38mm bulkhead for a good price, you better jump on these quick, but please everyone, please be patient with me getting your orders out. Whenever I get to doing this next batch of Loki White, it's going to take a few days out of me.

Thank you everyone! :)

Oh, and to my American readers, have a HAPPY & SAFE 4th of July weekend and please, stop to remember why it is that we celebrate that day. Take the time to read the Declaration of Independence, even if you have ever read it before. Remember what our founding fathers fought & died for and why the principals, morals and freedoms they fought for are so extremely important today. Freedoms that must be stood up and fought in this world if you expect to keep any of them. We are all here in this world today because of their actions and beliefs. I'm sorry if anyone views this as political. It is only meant to be patriotic. As patriotic as saying we are one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Always a pleasure man.

Those Starleopard Shots should crop down nicely..... That was a BIG rocket.... doesn't really show the scale of it in photos...

18747008813_ec7edcd5e4_c.jpg

My L3 cert (successful). Not the best photo as the rail was on the wrong side :facepalm:; however, still shows the flame on an M-1650TC pretty well.

David

SuperPrion_M1650_Resampled2.jpg

Thanks. Should have noted: 5.5" diameter, 108" tall, 22 lb dry. 35 lb with motor, 9700 ft at 766 mph. Great motor!

In gonna have to book a trip States side, bring something I can carry on a plane and fly it with one these.

My L3 cert (successful). Not the best photo as the rail was on the wrong side :facepalm:; however, still shows the flame on an M-1650TC pretty well.

David

View attachment 267469

Pad Video:

[video=youtube_share;IxCFvcNLZAs]https://youtu.be/IxCFvcNLZAs[/video]

David, well done on the successful flight.

Scott, well done on the very cool motor.

Last edited:
Nice looking flight, but the launch pad needs some work! Congratulations on your L3, and you thought K's and L's were expensive!
I agree! I don't think I have ever witnessed a pad move like that. It was disturbing in real time but frightening in Slow Motion.
The blast deflector really pushed the whole pad violently to the right. I think I would eliminate the blast deflector or put a flat plate on the ground beneath the rocket. I would also think seriously about staking the legs down.

I agree! I don't think I have ever witnessed a pad move like that. It was disturbing in real time but frightening in Slow Motion.
The blast deflector really pushed the whole pad violently to the right. I think I would eliminate the blast deflector or put a flat plate on the ground beneath the rocket. I would also think seriously about staking the legs down.

While I'm not saying the pad didn't shake some, I do want to state that when going out to that pad to retrieve my camera the ruts on the ground were at most an inch and a half long. Also, the rod whip is greatly exaggerated by the fish eye lens of the GroPro. I'm not saying it didn't whip, but I can assure you the lens make these things look worse than they actually are.

All in all a great flight. Anytime you go almost 2 miles up, and end up as close as he did it couldn't have been too bad.

Yes, in retrospect should have used one of our bigger pads. Not sure why none of us thought about that. It was a 1515 rail with a near full-length pipe support, but still moved more than I was happy to see (even allowing for the lens effects). On the plus side, the boost was pretty straight up, only a slight arc into the wind, so the pad motion didn't appear to affect the flight.

SP_M1650_KML.jpg

View attachment 2015-07-11-serial-1219-flight-0002_SuperPrion_M1650TC.kml

Yes, in retrospect should have used one of our bigger pads. Not sure why none of us thought about that. It was a 1515 rail with a near full-length pipe support, but still moved more than I was happy to see (even allowing for the lens effects). On the plus side, the boost was pretty straight up, only a slight arc into the wind, so the pad motion didn't appear to affect the flight.

Sandbagging or staking the legs would help some, looked like they jumped a bit

Some days, it's the little things....

Bluetube Optima clone on a Loki G80 5 second delay nailed it :)

19857601469_02bd72d2f5_c.jpg

Last edited:
Back