Loki Research 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Scott, will Loki be attending LDRS? I'm interested in talking with about K-527.

H_Rocket said:
Loki is primo burn.
Scott has fantastic customer support and service too!

Thanks Gary. You too Al. :)

Nick@JET said:
Hi Scott, will Loki be attending LDRS? I'm interested in talking with about K-527.

Nick,

Unfortunately I won't be attending LDRS this year. The truck needs a set of $new$ $injectors$ before it goes anywhere too far from home. Not to mention it's a very long drive with a lot of expense. I have to get that fixed before AirFest.

There is a hazmat box being shipped to a customer who will be attending LDRS and there should also be at least 2 - 3 Loki Dealers there as well. I'd suggest you get a hold of one of us ASAP if there is something you need.

Kirt,

There were a lot of us that use to use that board and very much enjoyed doing so. It's too bad so many of us got turned off from it the way we did.

Just cut open the liner from the K1127LB. Even glued in it looks like the bottom two tore out. Nozzle still looks good, and the slag just fell off it when I opened the motor :)

17876577555_0ea876992e_o.jpg

17877097951_00b9267e67_z.jpg
17690328819_f84bbc990a_z.jpg

Dave I love you man! Even if your gaze can make a camera go out of focus, that is some of the best kind of customer feed back I could ask for, especially on a newly released product. ;-)

Thank you so much!

The bottom 2 grains casting tubes seem to get burned away on the tail off of these motors, except for the J-1026 because of it's fast shut down. Only the thinnest traces of tube normally remain at the bottom. That one looks great. I see the other similar motor you flew had but one grain tube left. Do those get glued in as well? I'm thinking not.

That's the kind of "research" I like to do here, at Loki Research. :D
Thanks again.

My only complaint, I really wish your altimeter logged G's. I see the other white motor you flew didn't go quite as high but flew faster, so you know this one pulled more G's.

The three short were on top, and still in. The longer two on the bottom, or right in the photo

Scott- no problem. I'm enjoying looking at these. The other motor was not glued, the grains are spaced with orings and gluing would be a nightmare.

Sorry about the altimeter, I messed up my marsa the night before. It's been fixed, and I'll be flying the J1026 and K1127 I have left with it riding along.

The K1127 sims out to 52G
The J510 sims out to 37G

Though oddly enough the top speeds sim to the exact oPPOSITE of what was seen. Still trying to figure that out. K sims to 930, J to 830

Last edited:
The other motor was not glued, the grains are spaced with orings and gluing would be a nightmare.

That's why I don't use o-ring spacers. :) I've tried it before and you are 100% correct in your assessment.

How'd the motor assembly/gluing go for you? Did you follow the 54/4000 gluing video? Ooow! I need to put that on the L-2050 page.
Feel like making a video next time you assemble one of those 2 reloads you've got left???
Since you have two, you can do a 2nd take if you need. :)

Yea, I watched that video about a dozen times. I used proline 4100 and it seemed to work well. It went much smoother than I expected, really no problems. The only thing I may do differently if I keep flying a lot of these (most likely :) ) is to make a dummy nozzle out of wood to space the grains on the bottom. I had a moment of panic when the grains seemed to stick trying to put the nozzle in, but grabbing the liner and leaning on it took care of that.

I'll see what I can get for video when I assemble the next two. Shouldn't be too hard.

I had a moment of panic when the grains seemed to stick trying to put the nozzle in, but grabbing the liner and leaning on it took care of that.

Yes, that last 1/4" has to wait just a tad bit longer while you get the epoxy off the end of the tube. Just stand it strait up on top of the nozzle, grab a hold of the liner with both hands and give a good swift, strong push down. You want to push hard enough to get the nozzle completely seated in the liner in that one movement, the first time. If you fall ~.050" short, that last little bit will be that much harder. Not that any of this is hard though once you do it. .050" can make the difference in if the parts fit or not as well. There is very little wasted space on these.

Thanks for the help sir.

Scott,

If you make it to one of the THOR launches and I'm able to attend, count on a purchase from me. :wink:

Doug

The only one I know I will be at for sure will be Airfest. I would like to also try and make it to KloudBurst, but that's too far out to say for sure. One of these years, I'd like to make it to the Nebraska HEAT launch. I think that's what it's still called.

Rich, I'm more than happy to have gained another new customer.
Thank you very much. :)

Has the development of a Loki spacer system like what AT has ever been considered? I know I would be much more likely to buy Loki products if such a system was around. I'd love to start flying Loki products, I just don't have the money to buy a new casing for every different size reload...

Robert,

Yes, a spacer system has been considered but the forward bulkhead would need to be redesigned. I've discussed it somewhere on last years Loki 2014 thread.

If using a spacer, to remove the forward bulkhead or nozzle, what will happen currently is that the 38mm forward closures o-ring pushes directly on the motor liner when pushing parts out from either end. It can get compressed by the liner causing things that now have black sooty stuff all over to get stuck in place and not budge. What needs to happen is a re-design of the forward closure to have a small lip of aluminum material on the bottom side of the o-ring. Pretty much the same thing I did to the 54mm and 76mm bulkheads. There's not a lot of material to do this with on the 38mm bulkheads and still keep the dimensions the same for the current liner lengths. In other words, I can only move the o-ring up, now down. If it can be done, I would do it on the next run of 38mm bulkheads that are made.

Scott,

If you make it to one of the THOR launches and I'm able to attend, count on a purchase from me. :wink:

Doug

Doug,

I thought you all had a 2-day launch every year? Jansen, NE is about the same 6-hour drive for me as it is to Argonia, KS or Princeton, IL. If there was a 2-day launch, that's the one I'd try to attend.

Scott,

Attendance has been a bit lower in the last year or two since the launch site moved a little more south and east from the major population centers (Lincoln and Omaha); thus, the two day launches have been temporarily reduced to one day launches and we are on an alternating month schedule. All else failing, I'll try to stop by during AIRFest this fall.

Doug

Doug,

I thought you all had a 2-day launch every year? Jansen, NE is about the same 6-hour drive for me as it is to Argonia, KS or Princeton, IL. If there was a 2-day launch, that's the one I'd try to attend.

That's why I don't use o-ring spacers. :) I've tried it before and you are 100% correct in your assessment.

After some thought, obviously the way you do it is preferred, but to speed up production/decrease the time to make each load, I wonder if using fiber washers with a wide ID instead of O rings would allow for both spacing and and gluing.

I think fiber washers would take away a little more propellant, they would be another item expense to stock and source, and they would make it harder to align the grains on top of each other before taping them together.
The main purpose of taping them together with no spacers is to make it a quick gluing process without the worry of getting epoxy on the propellant faces and altering the intended burn profile. The tape also helps push the epoxy up inside the liner where it's needed. BTW, do you prefer Dave or David? Your sig confuses me. ;-)

Doug, you need to make it down to Airfest I think. It's an easy drive down I-35. There will be some cool stuff to see this year I think/hope. Of course that would be a normal Airfest. :)

With o-ring spacers..... back before LDRS 27 in 2008 I think. Looks about the same as what I'm doing now.

And this is why it's a bad idea to push your luck using spiral would liners on long motors. See how it burns right up the spiral seams? You can't see it but it burned through all the way down to the nozzle. on the opposite side.

Last edited:
I am a machinist by day, Super hero by night....LOL.
As for Badd Azz Loki Research Motors, well I think Scott makes some Very Badd Azz Motors!!
Scott and I have been sharing ideas for some really Awesome Rocket / motor designs for the last couple of years. I hope we can bring these ideas to you in the near future. ;)

Kurt, Bill

All of the darker blue type 3 hardcoat anodized Loki Research cases were made by Eric. More recently, the 76mm type 2 blue anodized cases are also made by Eric. Sorry, no photo of those on hand. The 76/6000 you have was made by him. He's taking back over the 38mm line after I opted to go for the laser marking with a previous Loki supplier, which unfortunately didn't work out.

You should do a special color run, camo blue and red or something like that. YES? :)

TA

Last edited:
I am a machinist by day, Super hero by night....LOL.
As for Badd Azz Loki Research Motors, well I think Scott makes some Very Badd Azz Motors!!
Scott and I have been sharing ideas for some really Awesome Rocket / motor designs for the last couple of years. I hope we can bring these ideas to you in the near future. ;)

My name is Dave and I approve this message.

Here's your opportunity to save! Click the link here and check it out!

Please spread the word to all of your altitude and speed junkie friends!

BTW Todd, sorry, but blue anodizing is all there is. ;-)

[video=youtube;eokw0OKTSww]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eokw0OKTSww[/video]

Hey look what showed up today.... 54/1600 :)

18340934559_578b8d8b8a_c.jpg

18529073311_3a407da78d.jpg
18339413960_447f1cae79.jpg

17906437043_f9251a9483.jpg

next to my 54/1200

18500713166_12aac9b343_c.jpg

Last edited:
Here's your opportunity to save! Click the link here and check it out!

Please spread the word to all of your altitude and speed junkie friends!

BTW Todd, sorry, but blue anodizing is all there is. ;-)

[video=youtube;eokw0OKTSww]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eokw0OKTSww[/video]

Man I need to fly that baby...it almost looks like he lost a fin or had some coning up at the top end, or was that just high alt winds?

Great photos as always David. Thank you!

Michael, I couldn't say for sure, but my guess is it suffered a little instability slowing down from mach 2.26.

Who says you need a minimum diameter rocket to break mach 2! You just need Loki POWER.

Back