Loki Research 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was that for a J720? That would just be evil.....sic...and lots of other cool things.

Ahhhhhhh, I think that would take some time to come to fruition. I have a few Loki 29mm 460 cases and a few formulas get an I-300 by Burnsim out of it.
I've not had a chance to make some grains to test burn.

It would likely take a higher L/D to get a J out of a 29mm case. Scott knows darned well what's involved and it would be a pretty challenging/difficult task to
pull off. Perhaps firing consistency would be very hard to achieve therefore making it unmarketable.

I ground tested an H-"ish" 24mm high L/D motor and the rear snap ring bowed out and just about gave way. Trashed the groove and the graphite nozzle
was pretty crumbly and obviously single use after one firing. The motor material was of the stronger 2024 aluminum too. I have some other 24mm cases my plan would be to make a spacer for the dead space, use a more gentle formula for more of a G motor.

There have been postings of folks doing a 29mm J but I believe one is really running on the edge with that one. Kurt Savegnago

Ahhhhhhh, I think that would take some time to come to fruition. I have a few Loki 29mm 460 cases and a few formulas get an I-300 by Burnsim out of it.
I've not had a chance to make some grains to test burn.

It would likely take a higher L/D to get a J out of a 29mm case. Scott knows darned well what's involved and it would be a pretty challenging/difficult task to
pull off. Perhaps firing consistency would be very hard to achieve therefore making it unmarketable.

I ground tested an H-"ish" 24mm high L/D motor and the rear snap ring bowed out and just about gave way. Trashed the groove and the graphite nozzle
was pretty crumbly and obviously single use after one firing. The motor material was of the stronger 2024 aluminum too. I have some other 24mm cases my plan would be to make a spacer for the dead space, use a more gentle formula for more of a G motor.

There have been postings of folks doing a 29mm J but I believe one is really running on the edge with that one. Kurt Savegnago

While a 29mm J sound cool, I know from my recent research into EX that it would be technically tough. Still sounds cool though. :)

You assume my wife does the dishes, I could wash a car engine in there and she wouldn’t know it.

I don't ever really worry about what I put in the dishwasher.... :) (that's my L1 build in the background there...)

7443838986_9c3007fe8c.jpg

FWIW, I've made 29mm K's.

Yeah but didn't you also do a 38mm L? I'm just say'in that a mere mortal at the beginning of their mixing career isn't likely going to be able to pull something that ambitious off.
Didn't you do things like dry your reagents and do things like vacuum mixing too? You were very careful with your methods I gather from what you shared publicly

Dr. Frank had a 29mm J motor and didn't that thing burn wicked fast?

The problem is getting consistency for a motor seller. If the the load wrecks havoc with the hardware after a couple of firings it's going to tick off the customer.
If it blows casings with every 5th load, people will lose enthusiasm.

Some have had success with 54mm M's but there is no certified load/hardware in that category.

Nice to dream though.

Kurt Savegnago

Some have had success with 54mm M's but there is no certified load/hardware in that category.*

Hardware yes. Certified load, no.
Not yet anyway..........

Patience grasshopper

Yeah but didn't you also do a 38mm L? I'm just say'in that a mere mortal at the beginning of their mixing career isn't likely going to be able to pull something that ambitious off.

My point was that if I can do a 29mm K, a J motor is only half that. Piece of cake with the right propellant. Scott could do a J easy, but unless there is a market for it, why bother. Same with the 54mm M. I've fired a few of those, but haven't had enough guts to build a rocket for it. A motor like that will shred all commonly available airframes. There might be enough interest in the M, but I think people will underestimate the flight stresses involved. These high L/D ratio motors are not like a normal rocket motor.

Guys, I'm hoping by now everyone knows I was totally kidding about wanting a 29/720 I predict zero market for something like that lol.

Guys, I'm hoping by now everyone knows I was totally kidding about wanting a 29/720 I predict zero market for something like that lol.

I think you underestimate the market. Look at how many folks like the various very aggressive fast burn motors. Look at the K1127- I want one of those motors so I can fly that and the J-1000.

The J-1000 is so sweet, if you have the means I highly recommend you pick one up.

TA

The J-1000 is so sweet, if you have the means I highly recommend you pick one up.

TA

I will have the means after Christmas. What rocket budget I have now is going to pay for my trip to do my L3 cert at Midwest Power.

I don't know if any of you are sparky fans...
I'd guess Dave M is because of his interest in photography,,,
While you guy's are discussing the 38 / 1200 case,,,
A few months ago Coleman M flew a rocket at our home field in Great Meadows with the Radical Rocketeers ...
Before the button was pushed I asked what load was in the rocket,, he replied a "Loki Spitfire"...
When the button was pushed everyone at the field was blown away like never before...
That was the all time most vicious sparky I have ever seen bar none...
When we were done being astonished we all asked exactly what load it was...
He said it was the "Loki spit in the longest 38 mm case"...
We all said the same thing,, no way that was a 38 mm load...
Unfreakinbelievable....

Truly,,, the J 650 Spit you just won't believe is a 38 mm load.....

Teddy

Anybody flying Loki at MWP 13? I'm going to at least be doing a J712 or 528 or 320 in a Wildman Jr no less. I haven't decided which one. (I got'em in storage already so's not in a supply problem) Kurt

Yeah, probably putting an H100 in a Small Endeavor, an H90 in a Darkstar Jr and a G69 in a Superjart. Loki Research motors in Wildman rockets.... At MWP..

My point was that if I can do a 29mm K, a J motor is only half that. Piece of cake with the right propellant. Scott could do a J easy, but unless there is a market for it, why bother. Same with the 54mm M. I've fired a few of those, but haven't had enough guts to build a rocket for it. A motor like that will shred all commonly available airframes. There might be enough interest in the M, but I think people will underestimate the flight stresses involved. These high L/D ratio motors are not like a normal rocket motor.

PRECISELY!! High L/D ratio motors were banged into my head as not being normal and following "all the rules". Anyone can machine or have machined a case for a 54mm M. Anyone can diddle with numbers on Burnsim. Getting it to work is another thing entirely.

I would think a 3" Wildman rocket would be able to handle a 54mm M motor. At least the one I made would likely handle it. I built it with a longer sustainer and upper bay so it could handle a high L/D motor. Flies fine on a Loki L1400.
Only thing I'd change is would make a tracker nosecone instead of having the tracker reside in the ebay and have the antenna deployed at apogee. Rocket is metallic painted and sucks up Rf from a tracker. I didn't realize that when I built it.
Kurt Savegnago

Last edited:
Back