GLR vertical Assault

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kehoes23

Reaction score
Just ordered this kit from giant leap rocketry with the upgrades, anyone have this kit? What are your thoughts on it? I'm looking to put it up on an I211, always liked this motor, this will be my first I impulse motor when I do.

I will be easy in this rocket as would a J motor. The fin cans are sturdy, but heavy. Enjoy it.

I had one a few years back. Great flier. It was a glass one. Heavy bugger, but boy could it go. I last saw it at Argonia a few years back...LDRS. We let 'er eat on a K660. Man what a flight. We think it shook the chute out at the top, there was a little breez...... Ended up in Tapukea I think. It had maybe 15 flights on it. I have the parts for another one with Dynawind tubes, much lighter. Maybe I will put it together later this year. Too many projects right now. A truely great flier those VA's Tim Thomas L3

I have one with the fin can drilled out, I have only flown it once on a CTI J 316 Pink and it flew perfect! This flight was my first 100% correct Dual Deployment flight.

I do like this rocket but it is heavy and mine has no glass on it.

The next motor I have in line is a CTI K 590 DT!

Got an email two days after my order from GLR, they are out of 3" tubes to fulfill my order as they are transitioning to new material tubes and they told me it will be a few weeks when the transition is complete and the price may go up, and they ask me what I would want to do, I asked them to hold my order and send me an email when ready to ship, so a few more weeks waiting for the vertical assault. I'm just wondering what tube material they are switching to, will find out in a few weeks.

Got an email two days after my order from GLR, they are out of 3" tubes to fulfill my order as they are transitioning to new material tubes and they told me it will be a few weeks when the transition is complete and the price may go up, and they ask me what I would want to do, I asked them to hold my order and send me an email when ready to ship, so a few more weeks waiting for the vertical assault. I'm just wondering what tube material they are switching to, will find out in a few weeks.

I am betting they are changing over to fiberglass tubes.

I love my vertical assault, mine wiggled on the way up once on a j420 but it's dead straight. It does come with regular eye bolts so you can upgrade those. It also does not come with a switch band of you want one of those.

Just got an email from Kent, the tube material is now FW FG, nice. I wounder how much more it weighs, now I can't wait to get it, I think I'll be one of the first people to own the new FW FG Vetical Assault kits :smile:

If it's fiberglass I don't know about the engine choice you are thinking. Its so big that I think fiberglass is going to add some significant weight. I think mine is 9 or 10 pounds without the engine.

I did realize that, so now I'm thinking a J500, maybe I'll stick with K motors, I won't know till it's built and I have final weights.

Mine usually comes in at 8.2 lbs. loaded, and I used heavy epoxy clay on the spirals and fillets. Still, change the MagnaFrame to FG, and you've got to be adding weight. My 4" X-Celerator (same height, but 4" and FG) comes in at about 11.5 pounds.

I don't get why they changed tubing. I was under the impression the were proud of Magnaframe.

Maybe mine gained weight in my head lol. I'll have to throw it in the scale tonight. I filled the grooves with wood filler so it shouldn't be that much heavier than yours.

I don't get why they changed tubing. I was under the impression the were proud of Magnaframe.

My guess is that manufacturing costs have gone up or the supply/demand has gone down, anyway I was looking forward to the magnaframe tubes, but I'll settle for the FW FG tubes.😁

Got the vertical assault in the mail, the tubes are FW FG, except the MMT which is magnaframe, the fins seam small for the length of the rocket but it's a nice kit, will do a build thread when time permits

Back