Rocketry Warehouse X-Celerator assembly photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been in corn country in the fall. I would imagine you could walk within 5 feet of your rocket and not see it. What do you use for a corn beeper?

My corn beeper isn't this one, but very similar Alarm. It has a pull pin that can be attached to one end of the main shock cord and the beeper on the other end. That way it turns on when the main deploys and the shock cord stretches out.

Looks like cheap insurance. Our local group may be interested in buying a few to keep in the club trailer to loan out for high flights.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice job! Isn't this a great kit? Bought one back in 2011 and did my L2 with it. Liked it so much that I grabbed another one on Black Friday in the hope that Molly will build it for her L2. I noticed the spacing between the fore and aft fins is much longer on the new kit. I think I prefer the original spacing. I wonder why the change was made?

Nice job! Isn't this a great kit? Bought one back in 2011 and did my L2 with it. Liked it so much that I grabbed another one on Black Friday in the hope that Molly will build it for her L2. I noticed the spacing between the fore and aft fins is much longer on the new kit. I think I prefer the original spacing. I wonder why the change was made?

I do love the kit, especially at the $100 I paid for it. I have nothing to compare it to, since this was my first RW kit, first fiberglass build, 54mm mount, and first kit with something beefier that Bob Smith 5 minute epoxy. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and it flies well. I guess there's not much more to want out of a rocket.

I had no idea the fin spacing changed. I was hoping for a good split fin whistle, but I haven't heard one yet. I may have to get a 54mm VMax to see if I can make that happen.

Mine does whistle even when flying low and slow. I wonder if fin spacing makes a difference in whistle frequency or if the whistle can disappear altogether if the spacing is too big? You can check out the pictures in the old X-celerator picture gallery that Gary T. started in 2011 and see the smaller spacing. Here is my post: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...house-X-Celerator-Gallery&p=211183#post211183

I do love the kit, especially at the $100 I paid for it. I have nothing to compare it to, since this was my first RW kit, first fiberglass build, 54mm mount, and first kit with something beefier that Bob Smith 5 minute epoxy. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and it flies well. I guess there's not much more to want out of a rocket.

I had no idea the fin spacing changed. I was hoping for a good split fin whistle, but I haven't heard one yet. I may have to get a 54mm VMax to see if I can make that happen.

Last edited:
Mine does whistle even when flying low and slow. I wonder if fin spacing makes a difference in whistle frequency or if the whistle can disappear altogether if the spacing is too big? You can check out the pictures in the old X-celerator picture gallery that Gary T. started in 2011 and see the smaller spacing. Here is my post: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...house-X-Celerator-Gallery&p=211183#post211183

Let's see...

View attachment 257798 D20150307_132553.jpg

P1010088 (Medium).JPG D20150307_132553 2.jpg

You're right. There's a larger gap. I wonder if that's the reason I'm not hearing a whistle. I thought it was getting hidden by the sound of the motor thrust. Now I'm more curious. I need to try a VMAX. MORE LAUNCH RESEARCH!

Also, pretty striking difference between your launch field and ours. You must really have to pay attention to wind with those trees lurking in the background.

For now, more photos:

D20150307_132344.jpg

attachment.php

The photo below caught it making its hint at a right turn. I think it got hit with a little gust, because it boosted straight before and after.

D20150307_132752.jpg

D20150307_132753.jpg

Attachments

• D20150307_132751.jpg
    D20150307_132751.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Harbor Freight has little door/window alarms that are in a 2-pack for $5. That's right - cheap. They are loud enough for these tired ears to hear a 100 yards. (Although I am deafer in one ear than the other, so when I first hear the alarm I usually go walking off in the wrong direction a few times.)

I have, and use, one of the personal pull-pin type alarms, but I have had it fail to pull the pin once, and we had to harvest the field before we found the rocket. So I just pull the pin when I put it on the rod. Not too loud with the rocket assembled. Kind of heavy with the 9-volt battery. However, one version has a flashing light built in, so cool for night launches.

The X-actimator has something special up his sleeve for night launch !

Kenny

Harbor Freight has little door/window alarms that are in a 2-pack for $5. That's right - cheap. They are loud enough for these tired ears to hear a 100 yards. (Although I am deafer in one ear than the other, so when I first hear the alarm I usually go walking off in the wrong direction a few times.)

I have, and use, one of the personal pull-pin type alarms, but I have had it fail to pull the pin once, and we had to harvest the field before we found the rocket. So I just pull the pin when I put it on the rod. Not too loud with the rocket assembled. Kind of heavy with the 9-volt battery. However, one version has a flashing light built in, so cool for night launches.

I found these.

image.jpg image.jpg

When the magnet moves further than 1/4" away, it goes off. It's light and small and really loud and cost $2.50 each. I can't wait to test them at our field.

Do you just turn it on, then button up the rockrt and launch? I was thinking I could tape both parts to the shock cord and each other in a way that pulls them apart at deployment and sets it off.

That be the squealers I use. I just turn it on and button it up. I like, and will steal, your idea to tape the magnet onto the shock cord and allow them to separate. I suppose at a large launch where the rocket was going to just sit on the pad while a dozen or more other rockets get launched first it is a good idea so the battery is fresh.

I wish I had seen your sig line years back when I was hang and paragliding. It would explain so much.

I launched the X-Celerator on a CTI L-730 two weekends ago. I wish I had some photos (but honestly it would look the same as the others).

It sim'ed to mid 7,000 feet and mid 600 MPH velocity. Stratologger reported 9,126 feet and 743 MPH. RRC2+ reported 9133 feet. Again, within 10 feet of each other. I have to say I was surprised by the actual vs. sim'ed. I'm not sure if that's the paint job, tail cone, shortcoming of the simple formula in the sim or some combo of all three. I adjusted the CD to 0.41 for future sims.

It landed a mile away in the desert brush. The Eggfinder got me to it again.

That makes the largest motor I've launched yet. It's not the fastest or highest I've gone, which is a hair higher at 9,475 feet and close to 800 mph in my RW Reaper 3 with a K1200 in it. But it was still pretty darn enjoyable.

I'm going to use the av bay and payload section of this rocket for my L3. It fits in the bottom half of the Draco EX perfectly, and I won't have to build another redundant av bay. I like being able to leverage the expense and labor invested in one rocket by using it in another. Efficiency!

Last edited:
Great looking rockets in this thread! I received one of these for Christmas and in the OP, it was mentioned that a longer MMT was needed for the AP tailcone. How long of a MMT is needed for the tailcone? This kit comes with a 21 inch MMT. Will that be long enough for the AP tailcone? Thank you!

Great looking rockets in this thread! I received one of these for Christmas and in the OP, it was mentioned that a longer MMT was needed for the AP tailcone. How long of a MMT is needed for the tailcone? This kit comes with a 21 inch MMT. Will that be long enough for the AP tailcone? Thank you!

There are two parts to the tailcone requirements:
The aft centering ring needs to be recessed inside your body tube at least 1/4" (6.3mm) to accommodate the lip on the tailcone.
The motor mount tube needs to stick out from the aft end of the airframe tube (don't measure from the centering ring) by the following amounts according to the Appogee website (I don't have my actual tailcone instructions in front of me):
Model TA 54/3.9" - 1.870" (47.5mm)

I recall Rocketry Warehouse emailing me that they will supply a longer motor mount at no extra charge when ordering a kit to be used with a tailcone and in fact received another kit this way from them. That was before Madcow took over so talk to Mike to see what his policy is.

My kit is in the basement, still in the box, but it's been opened so I could take inventory. I seen those measurements that you cited from Apogee as well. This weekend I'll probably get the booster and MMT out and measure everything to see if the stock mount I have will work or not. I've dealt with Mike before and he's always been very accommodating.

I pulled mine down again and measured the MMT forward of the top CR. 1.5 inches extends above the ring. I don't think your tube will be long enough.

I pulled mine down again and measured the MMT forward of the top CR. 1.5 inches extends above the ring. I don't think your tube will be long enough.

Thank you for checking that for me. Gives me something to go by. I'll definitely check mine this weekend. I'm in no hurry really, and I'm sure Mike will let me swap him tubes. Thanks guys!

Sharon convinced me that I need to dust off Rapiditty and polish up the eyebolts on my X-Celerator. I have a K675 Skidmark that would fly well at Holtville Havoc next month, wondering if the Fairly Fast Finch will be making an appearance?

You guys bringing this thread back up is making me itch to build mine. But I have three builds going right now. A LOC Expediter, a Bomb Pop that I just washed and am starting next week and I'm guiding my girlfriend on her L1 rocket, a Madcow Super Batray. I'm thinking this X-Celerator would go great with a L1000...

Sharon convinced me that I need to dust off Rapiditty and polish up the eyebolts on my X-Celerator. I have a K675 Skidmark that would fly well at Holtville Havoc next month, wondering if the Fairly Fast Finch will be making an appearance?

Yeah that's an interesting question there, Wayco. And I would absolutely love to launch duelling X-Celerators. There are two things holding me back.
1. I'll be helping run the LPR launch probably most of the weekend. Depends on if I can get away or not.
2. Biggest motor I have right now is an AT J425 red, which will push it to a measly 1,200 feet.

I'll bring the Finch, prepped and ready. If for no other reason to give Rapiditty tetanus from all the rust. If I can get a break from the LPR launch, and I can find a motor with more oomph, you and I can put on a show.

You guys bringing this thread back up is making me itch to build mine. But I have three builds going right now. A LOC Expediter, a Bomb Pop that I just washed and am starting next week and I'm guiding my girlfriend on her L1 rocket, a Madcow Super Batray. I'm thinking this X-Celerator would go great with a L1000...

Depending on how you build, that L1000 could make the X-Celerator flirt with mach.

What's a bomb pop?

Back