Just Bought Centuri Saturn V.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got it off of Ebay. It will be here in a week. Now I have The Saturn 1b as well. I'm looking for the 1/45th scale Little Joe II next. :)

very cool! I have been following your Redstone build...can't wait to see your Saturn V! (and I am a huge 1b nut.....that is a cool looking rocket too!)

Got it off of Ebay. It will be here in a week. Now I have The Saturn 1b as well. I'm looking for the 1/45th scale Little Joe II next. :)

very cool! I have been following your Redstone build...can't wait to see your Saturn V! (and I am a huge 1b nut.....that is a cool looking rocket too!)

Nice to see you floating around here! I am more of a fan of the Saturn family than the Redstone. What got me into that was simply perusing Sheri's site and saying to myself, what the hell. I also have her Saturn V I've yet to start. I've got the Estes K-36, the latest 2157 Saturn V, and a second Apogee Saturn to start on. Boy, I sure do hate these things. :eyeroll:

LOL...my philosophy is you can never have enough Saturns!!

Nice to see you floating around here! I am more of a fan of the Saturn family than the Redstone. What got me into that was simply perusing Sheri's site and saying to myself, what the hell. I also have her Saturn V I've yet to start. I've got the Estes K-36, the latest 2157 Saturn V, and a second Apogee Saturn to start on. Boy, I sure do hate these things. :eyeroll:

No Sirius Saturn V yet? :D

I'm hoping you're planning a build thread for this. While I have no patience for finishing, I have the utmost respect for you guys that take the time and effort to do the rocket justice, while I fall prey to the 15 foot rule. Or more often, the 15 feet in the air at 150 feet per second rule to make my rockets look okay.

I wish I could go back and dig up Sport Rocketry from 1994 when I wrote a build thread/memory lane story, "Silver Anniversary Saturn," about my Centuri Saturn V kit which my grandmother bought for me for Christmas 1969, and had sat unbuilt for 25 years in the box in my bedroom back at my parents' house.

(I had opened the box on Christmas morning, took one look at the parts and instructions, took my 11-year-old building skills into consideration, and said, "Maybe I better wait a while." :y::y: )

Finally in 1994 I decided to build it, then took it and flew it for my grandmother, then 98.

Funny thing was, when I showed it to her, she did remember buying it -- I had been very specific I wanted the Centuri, not Estes, model -- and I guess she had to have the department/hobby store in town special order it. It took her like a week and a bunch of phone calls to make sure she got the right one, so she did indeed remember buying it.

It came out looking very nice -- I actually loaned it to a science museum for an Apollo display a decade or so ago -- so I can truthfully say it's a "museum piece."

I've flown it, I believe, four or five times. Two or three times shortly after I finished it, and again on July 16, 1999. I think I will probably give it one more shot in 2019.

Last edited:
I'm hoping you're planning a build thread for this. While I have no patience for finishing, I have the utmost respect for you guys that take the time and effort to do the rocket justice, while I fall prey to the 15 foot rule. Or more often, the 15 feet in the air at 150 feet per second rule to make my rockets look okay.

Somewhere along the line I may give serious consideration to a build thread, but right now I'm involved with a Mercury Redstone build thread in the mid-power section. So this is taking up a lot of time for me, I've yet to give any consideration with my next one as I've got several I'd like to choose from. :confused2:

I wish I could go back and dig up Sport Rocketry from 1994 when I wrote a build thread/memory lane story, "Silver Anniversary Saturn," about my Centuri Saturn V kit which my grandmother bought for me for Christmas 1969, and had sat unbuilt for 25 years in the box in my bedroom back at my parents' house.

(I had opened the box on Christmas morning, took one look at the parts and instructions, took my 11-year-old building skills into consideration, and said, "Maybe I better wait a while." :y::y: )

Finally in 1994 I decided to build it, then took it and flew it for my grandmother, then 98.

Funny thing was, when I showed it to her, she did remember buying it -- I had been very specific I wanted the Centuri, not Estes, model -- and I guess she had to have the department/hobby store in town special order it. It took her like a week and a bunch of phone calls to make sure she got the right one, so she did indeed remember buying it.

It came out looking very nice -- I actually loaned it to a science museum for an Apollo display a decade or so ago -- so I can truthfully say it's a "museum piece."

I've flown it, I believe, four or five times. Two or three times shortly after I finished it, and again on July 16, 1999. I think I will probably give it one more shot in 2019.

Now that's a very interesting story! I like to hear such events from someone else's lives as it's easy to relate to.

Somewhere along the line I may give serious consideration to a build thread, but right now I'm involved with a Mercury Redstone build thread in the mid-power section. So this is taking up a lot of time for me, I've yet to give any consideration with my next one as I've got several I'd like to choose from. :confused2:

Your Redstone thread is what prompted this request. There are a lot of good builders on this forum, but I've yet to see attention to detail that matches yours. Whatever you build next will be impressive.

Your Redstone thread is what prompted this request. There are a lot of good builders on this forum, but I've yet to see attention to detail that matches yours. Whatever you build next will be impressive.

I very much appreciate your comment and request! I'm tossed between the Estes K-36 Saturn, another Apogee Saturn, the latest reissue from Estes or Sheri's Saturn V. I've also a Q Modeling Super Vega and the Estes Starship Enterprise on the to build list. Just out of curiosity, what would be your choice?

The Sheri's Saturn would be cool, would also be interesting to see the comparison of the quality between the two Sheri's kits. Don't ever see too much about them.

I have an Estes Saturn V that I bought about 20 yrs ago - still need to build. I still have my built Estes 1b that I got in 1968 - It has the 4 engine cluster.
Steve

Steven....my vote would be for a Saturn 1b! just throwing that into the ring.....just a really cool rocket!

I very much appreciate your comment and request! I'm tossed between the Estes K-36 Saturn, another Apogee Saturn, the latest reissue from Estes or Sheri's Saturn V. I've also a Q Modeling Super Vega and the Estes Starship Enterprise on the to build list. Just out of curiosity, what would be your choice?

Steven....my vote would be for a Saturn 1b! just throwing that into the ring.....just a really cool rocket!

I do have both the Centuri and later Estes version to build just to let you know. So that's definitely on the "to build list" too.

Good luck on that one...hope you find one that doesn't cost an arm and leg..
I couldn't afford one back then...bet I couldn't afford one now either!! LOL.
I think it was a picture of that 1/45th Little Joe II at a NARAM in 1967 that stuck with me all these years, and inspired me to eventually scratch build build my own...(although a larger version at 1/18th)

little Joe II - Al Kirchner.jpg

The Sheri's Saturn would be cool, would also be interesting to see the comparison of the quality between the two Sheri's kits. Don't ever see too much about them.

I saw a Sheri Saturn 1B fly at NARAM 50 ...pretty impressive.

Sheri Saturn 1B - review....this was the one that flew at NARAM 50:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/sheris-hot-rockets-cjs-aviation-saturn-1b-148th-by-tim-doll.html
Sheri Saturn V - review
https://www.rocketreviews.com/sheris-hot-rockets-cjs-aviation-saturn-v-148th-by-tim-doll.html

Last edited:
I saw a Sheri Saturn 1B fly at NARAM 50 ...pretty impressive.

Sheri Saturn 1B - review....this was the one that flew at NARAM 50:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/sheris-hot-rockets-cjs-aviation-saturn-1b-148th-by-tim-doll.html
Sheri Saturn V - review
https://www.rocketreviews.com/sheris-hot-rockets-cjs-aviation-saturn-v-148th-by-tim-doll.html

I've got her Saturn V, have yet to start on it though. It's been upgraded since the photos having a two piece upper stage transition, and the fins already have the plywood mounting pieces attached. I'm tossing out the fuel line fairings, engine cut off sensor fairings, second stage retrorocket fairings, ullage rockets and fairings and the auxiliary propulsion system module fairings and replacing them with Oz Mods parts. Much more detailed than the stock pieces. I'll also be using photo etched SM details as well. I'm still up in the air about the F1 engines as they are a bit pricey just for display purposes. Time will tell. :wink:

I have Sheri's Gemini titan - flown it twice.

Those machined aluminum nozzles were beautiful, but I had to take them and my Dr. Rocket hardware to a machine shop to drill the nozzles out and trim down the aft motor closures to accept reload hardware...otherwise the nozzles would only accept single use motors.

Gemini%20Engine%202.jpg

29mm%20caseA.JPG

Last edited:
I have Sheri's Gemini titan - flown it twice.

Those machined aluminum nozzles were beautiful, but I had to take them and my Dr. Rocket hardware to a machine shop to drill the nozzles out and trim down the aft motor closures to accept reload hardware...otherwise the nozzles would only accept single use motors.

Ooooohhhhh.... Shiny!!!

Back