OROC 'Spring Thunder' 5/15 - 5/17. Brothers Launch Site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryerse

Reaction score
Standing waiver 20,500' Agl, Windows 42,280' Agl.
On site camping, port johns, Vendor.
Research Friday, club GSE on site by about noon.
Range fee: $20 individual, $30 Family
Membership: $40 individual, $50 Family
www.oregonrocketry.org

I am so looking forward to the season this year.

I have a couple of L265 Mellows for the 54mm beasties
A half dozen sparkies in 38mm
oh.... and a CTI M840.
If I can juggle that M840 with Wilson, then I am also getting an M1350 DMS, yes, I may be doing my L3 with an Aerotech. You can shut up now.\

Same birds as last year, plus the L3 attempt. I have acquired a 4" Broken Arrow kit for that one. I also just acquired a 4" DD Darkstar kit in the old opaque green. This will be AWESOME with the new super bright LED's inside it!!! It currently has a 54mm motor mount with it, but I think I can fix that one problem. Somewhere in the future, I see a 4" Darkstar to 3" Darkstar 2 stage!

Sounds awesome Rob. Best of luck to you on your L3 attempt. Do you know when you'll be launching your L3 bird?

I'm working on a scratch built that would probably really like one of those Mellow loads...

Time for Brothers already? Crap...I better get busy!!
Should (hopefully) have 1 new project ready to go, and 1 rebuild. I have a few other things in the works as well, but those won't be ready until later in the season.

I think Rob gets the "most changes to his L3 project before actually certifying" award! Look forward to that flight for sure. And yes, happy to coordinate on the M840 reload, and I'll make sure I don't fly it myself...

Have got some snap-ring hardware lined up also...

Me too! I've got to get Wazzu Thunder ready for its maiden flight.
Too much left to do on it to even start a list..
Glad to see that the "Wazzu legacy" is returning! Lots to do on my Tomach as well, namely fillets and tip-to-tip on the fins.

Crap.... I may have accidentally started to build a 54mm Stealth (flying box type) and I got a certain J360 Skidmark.

Oh boy...
And talk about the unbeatable "Sheridan dragrace champion!"

Oh boy...
And talk about the unbeatable "Sheridan dragrace champion!"

There is no mystery.
The CTI G68 White is one of the fastest lighting motors out there.
Thrust spikes at 93N in the first 1/4 of a second, meaning first of the pad.....
.... and put it in a saucer to count on lowest altitude.

If you are referring to my flying pizza box on the D motor. I disqualified myself these last two years... grin.

OK... add a challenge to Sheridan this year. The first 4 people that can bring me a CTI 29mm case system to fit the 2 grain (ie 2 grain or 3 with spacer) will get a free G68 to fly (from me).
I will run against them in the first round.

There is no mystery.
The CTI G68 White is one of the fastest lighting motors out there.
Thrust spikes at 93N in the first 1/4 of a second, meaning first of the pad.....
.... and put it in a saucer to count on lowest altitude.

If you are referring to my flying pizza box on the D motor. I disqualified myself these last two years... grin.

OK... add a challenge to Sheridan this year. The first 4 people that can bring me a CTI 29mm case system to fit the 2 grain (ie 2 grain or 3 with spacer) will get a free G68 to fly (from me).
I will run against them in the first round.
Cool - I think we all know what motor to fly this year!

Last edited:
If I can keep on schedule, Wazzu Thunder will be ready for it's maiden flight at Spring Thunder.
It will be sporting two brand new Eggtimer altimeters in its ebay and an Eggfinder up in the nose.
It may even launch on my brand new 54mm Loki hardware. Maybe the J300...

Chuck... I will be bringing a length of 4" Blue Tube to the meeting today.

Wilson... I have a couple of surprises for you too...

If I can keep on schedule, Wazzu Thunder will be ready for it's maiden flight at Spring Thunder.
It will be sporting two brand new Eggtimer altimeters in its ebay and an Eggfinder up in the nose.
It may even launch on my brand new 54mm Loki hardware. Maybe the J300...
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the Wazzu Thunder. No new projects for me next weekend, but I'll have my NXRS RTV, Miranda, etc. to fly on some old 54mm motors.
7-day forecast doesn't look great so far...

The first surprise being that you didn't come to the meeting?
You were missed indeed, Rob!

Crossing my fingers for Saturday.

Friday 50% Precip. / 0.08 in
Variable clouds with scattered thunderstorms. High 58F. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Friday Night 10% Precip. / 0 in
Partly cloudy skies. Low around 35F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday 10% Precip. / 0 in
Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High 61F. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.

Saturday Night 30% Precip. / 0.06 in
Partly cloudy during the evening. A few showers developing later during the night. Low around 35F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Sunday 60% Precip. / 0.11 in
Partly cloudy skies during the morning hours will give way to occasional showers in the afternoon. High 64F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Serious family foo. There has been a crazy cold/flu going around here. I have been offline over a week coz it hit me like a train. This also meant I couldn't get the new truck in for the trailer brakes, which then means no towing.

I would rather sit this one out and recover.

Chuck, I can drive the bluetoob over to you in Salem if you wish.

Wilson, I have a 4" Tru-core motor that needs filled. I also now have a copy of Prof McCreary's book!

Go fly some stuff.

Rob,
Thanks for the bluetoob offer. I think I'm going to be OK. I didn't screw it up as bad as I thought.
It's on the list to fly tomorrow. I hope we get some clear skies.

I managed to fly one rocket today. My Binder Design Thug on a G61W.
That helped take the edge off.

Hope you feel better soon.

Serious family foo. There has been a crazy cold/flu going around here. I have been offline over a week coz it hit me like a train. This also meant I couldn't get the new truck in for the trailer brakes, which then means no towing.

I would rather sit this one out and recover.

Chuck, I can drive the bluetoob over to you in Salem if you wish.

Wilson, I have a 4" Tru-core motor that needs filled. I also now have a copy of Prof McCreary's book!

Go fly some stuff.
We missed you out there, Rob! Hope you've been feeling better. Saturday and Sunday ended up bringing mostly clear skies and good flying conditions. Launch report to follow...
And we'll make sure to get some propellant in that 4" motor for NXRS!!

It actually turned out to be an awesome weekend for flying

I had four flights this weekend (1-Fri, 2-Sat, 1-Sun). I flew the Eggfinder on all 4 flights and it worked perfectly each time. I had some small glitches with the tracking software on my cell phone (GPS Rocket Locator), but nothing really worth worrying about.

As I said in the previous post, on Friday I flew my Binder Design Thug on an AT G61W

On Saturday I flew my new scratch built rocket, WAZZU Thunder, twice.
1) The first flight was on a Loki I-405-LW. What a pure power motor. Took the rocket (4" diameter, 75" long, and 7.8lbs) to 1,639. My two brand new Eggtimers worked their magic for a perfect dual deploy flight.
2) The second flight was on an AT J250FJ. Awesome black smoke. This time it went to 2,631 feet and again a perfect DD flight.

I flew on flight on Sunday. This time it was my Madcow Frenzy on a Loki I-210-LR. Love that red color. It went to 1,520 with the whistle that is pure joy to hear. Another perfect DD flight with the same eggfinders as the previous two flights.

All the flights flew with my Eggfinder in the nosecone. Hand held receiver with Bluetooth connected to GPS Rocket Locator app. Wow, how did I ever fly without this?

Back