Launch Lugs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
I got an idea for a scratch build. Now the thing is, The NC is going to be made out of 2 paper bowls about 5" in dia. glued face to face so that it looks like a saucer. So this means that the outside dia. of the NC will be out past the BT. I see other rockets with large NCs. So what do they do for the lug. I was thinking of cutting a hole in the saucer shaped NC and putting in a piece of lug so as I can run the launch rod down the side of BT? Hope you get my drift. I can take a pic tonight and post it if need be. If this one flys, well, all Ill say is it will be a SPOOLISH SHOCKER :roll: Thanks Scotty Dog

Last edited:
I got an idea for a scratch build. Now the thing is, The NC is going to be made out of 2 paper bowls about 5" in dia. glued face to face so that it looks like a saucer. So this means that the outside dia. of the NC will be out past the BT. I see other rockets with large NCs. So what do they do for the lug. I was thinking of cutting a hole in the saucer shaped NC and putting in a piece of lug so as I can run the launch rod down the side of BT? Hope you get my drift. I can take a pic tonight and post it if need be. If this one flys, well, all Ill say is it will be a SPOOLISH SHOCKER :roll: Thanks Scotty Dog

That could work just fine Scotty Dog:
I think Totally Tubular still sells 8 or 10" long launch lugs in 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" OD's. he sent me a few along with my last order of MMX body tubes. I've used them on Through body LL applications in odd-Rocs like turkey trottin and sputnik's in 4 and 6" styrofoam balls. or thur the side of some PMC models as well.
Hope this helps

178b4-sm_288th Ferry Rocket LL detail 3pic 7x5_09-16-05.jpg

451m4_LL location 3pic pg_10-11-06.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Micro!
Love that Ferry Rocket. How well does it fly?
Would you have a build thread on that little beauty?

Thanks. Nice PMC. I been hitting yard sales looking for a good PMC. I did find some older plane kits from Reveil and one from Fujimi? I bought them cuz they still had the decals. One of the Reveil kits had collector stamps on side of box that you saved up and traded in for stuff. Kinda like the old Bazooka bubble gum days. Scotty Dog

Wow Micro!
Love that Ferry Rocket. How well does it fly?
Would you have a build thread on that little beauty?

Thanks Layne;
It's a fair flying PMC on A10-3T's but to heavy for A3-4t's. To be honest I don't think so, I wasn't taking build photos back when that model was put together, in fact the only other pic I have of it is one below on it's display stand. It's a Glencoe Kit, that are still around, I see them offered on e-bay and in lots of Plastic model vendor mags.

Scotty Dog:
One of my main sources for PMC models is www.squadron.com Once you get on their mailing list you'll get a catalog chock full of very convertable models at fairly reasonable prices. And they have great Sales off and on thoughout the year. If your looking for a really nice flying, fairly easy to convert Plastic model that flys well on windy days as well as dead calm the F-104 in just about any scale is super. For 18mm motors 1/48th scale is almost made for a BT-20;), followed closely by the F-100c or d which are becoming harder to find in 1/65, 1/72 or 1/48th scales.
Sorry to getting off topic. Back to Launch lug locations:)

Last edited:
be interested in. Ill take a pic of it (them)and PM you. Scotty Dog

be interested in. Ill take a pic of it (them)and PM you. Scotty Dog
I was talking about. I couldnt PM you a pic. These are "Smoke Detector Covers" that come on new detectors. As you can see they make great saucers. I have a project in the works using these. I can get more if interested. Scotty Dog

Saucers.JPG

That could work just fine Scotty Dog:
I think Totally Tubular still sells 8 or 10" long launch lugs in 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" OD's.
Balsa Machining Service (www.balsamachining.com) sells 1/8" x 1.25" and 12", 3/16" x 2" and 12", and 1/4" x 3" and 34" launch lugs.

Semroc (www.semroc.com) sells 1/8" x several lengths up to 9.5", 3/16" x 3.00", and 1/4" x 2.25" launch lugs.

Semroc's delivery is nearly instantaneous, if that's a consideration. ;)

I was talking about. I couldnt PM you a pic. These are "Smoke Detector Covers" that come on new detectors. As you can see they make great saucers. I have a project in the works using these. I can get more if interested. Scotty Dog

Wow!
they are too KEWL Scotty dog!
Look like they'd make outstanding saucer models. Thanks for the offer, but I have so much in the fire now i'll never get to everything in the works. I'm sure there are lots of other Odd-roc'ers out here that would love to take you up on the offer though.

Back