OpenRocket Suggestion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
In OpenRocket, have the option of showing just the upper stage of the rocket, or both stages. Has the idea ever been considered of being able to JUST show the booster stage?

You could create a sim of just the booster section. You also can use the "EDIT" tab to copy an item, then move over to a different window of OR and then paste it.

You might want to create a phantom body tube (X outer diameter, 0.000001 thickness, 0.000001 length) select it (get it to highlight) then paste your copied file in place.

The simulation plot supports this functionality already.

kevin

Clicking on the "Stage 2" button just shows the entire rocket.

If you're looking for the altitude, velocity, recovery stuff, you create a simulation plot, then you can track just an individual stage by using the drop down at the bottom.

Kevin

I am trying to get something like this.... but for the booster stage only.

what I want.jpg

Then I can click another button, and have it show full stack.

I csn think of a reason why. I would want the booster by itself so I could see if its unstable alone, so I can determine if tumble recovery might be possible.

I csn think of a reason why. I would want the booster by itself so I could see if its unstable alone, so I can determine if tumble recovery might be possible.

Though this isn't a direct way to see it, you can run a simulation then look at the simulation plot to see if the booster has a "tumble" event. Alternatively, you can plot the stability margin over time and look at just the booster stage.

Kevin

This is exactly what I am working on now on a 2 stage rocket project. Worried the booster will stabilize during decent.

I am going to get a spent case and find the CG of it by itself. Then will copy and paste just the booster section into a new sim file and find where it's CG is.

Then plan to build a component to simulate the spent case. Thick cardboard tube and plugged end for nozzle. Trick will be getting weights right to keep sim close.

Combine the two parts and see where the CG ends up. Still no real proof that the booster won't stabilize but maybe once the file is created it might make it easier to work it out.

Back