Rocket-themed bikes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
This is only very tangentially topical, but this is the Watering Hole, right? I'd mentioned this before, but well before going BAR, my primary source of money loss - I mean hobby - has been cycling. A big part of that for me has been restoring and customizing old cruisers. A lot boy's bikes from the jet age, say 1950 into the mid '60s, carried rocket, jet or sci-fi themes. With some of the custom stuff I've done, I've tried to play up on that. I've been active on another message board (ratrodbikes.com) that has a build contest every summer. Its been with working on these that I've improved my finishing and paintwork abilities, as it applies to rocket builds. Here are some of the bikes I've done in the past few years.

1957 Monark Rocket, built with a Bonneville-inspired theme:
P1015572.JPGP1015490.JPGP1015440.JPG

1948 Columbia 3-Star Deluxe:
IMG_0560.jpgIMG_0619.jpgIMG_0623.jpg

and a 1956 Schwinn Hornet:
IMG_1236.jpg IMG_1218.JPG IMG_1266.jpg

It seems easy to have a largish fleet of rockets. I seem to have too many bicycles as well, though, as they still outnumber the rockets around my shop. But at least these have the pretext of having exercise benefits... :grin:

Last edited:
When I was like 6 or 7, I taped a piece of an Antenna from a Radio onto my handlebars and would launch Bottlerockets from it.

A couple years ago, one of the guys at the rat rod bike website attached a small pulse-jet engine to the side of his Flightliner. I'm not sure if he actually rode it with the thing burning, but it sure looked cool. It begs the question about strapping a couple of, say 38mm motors in the form of JATO bottles to a bike and seeing what happened... :eyepop:

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!
Bicycles were a huge part of me childhood.

I love" RAT-ROD" anything...Cars,Trucks,Motobikes,peds Rockets,ect.

Me dream motorcycle is me-own homemade rat bike.
Anywhoo--Again..very nice and COOL!!!

Last edited:
Not Rocket Themed, but it does have a futuristic theme to it...

BIKE TO THE FUTURE.jpg
6314209596_6bb284f6c8.jpg

Bike to the Future!

Yep from other pics you have posted I figured you were heavy into bikes. I am building the Beast Chopper on the rat rod bikes.

Cool bikes and cool rockets.

Both hobbies will get you exercise. I take my Mukluk fat bike to the launches now as a chase vehicle.

See ya,
Rod

That looks more than a little a like a Grand Prix with fenders and unique paint job. But I'd buy one if I found one, to go with my two '72 Grand Prixs. It is sharp looking.

I haven't actually been active on ratrodbikes in a couple months. I've been meaning to go back, there's just only so much time I can spend on message boards. I hear you regarding the Mukluk, I'm thinking of doing the same with my Pugsley...

Latest posts

Back