My, my, my how the time does fly...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
My earliest Estes order...

View attachment 253960

Found this receipt in a bag with the ordered BT's this evening when I was going through some stick and tissue AMA Free Flight airplane kits.

Based on the date of the order, Mrs. OD and I had just moved into our home only three months prior. The mortgage has long since been paid off and our kids are out on their own but we're still here along with most of our original neighbors.

The sad part is that I don't know that I paid the 60 cents due on the order.

My earliest Estes order...

View attachment 253960

Found this receipt in a bag with the ordered BT's this evening when I was going through some stick and tissue AMA Free Flight airplane kits.

Based on the date of the order, Mrs. OD and I had just moved into our home only three months prior. The mortgage has long since been paid off and our kids are out on their own but we're still here along with most of our original neighbors.

The sad part is that I don't know that I paid the 60 cents due on the order.
LOL! See Evil Ed's post! I miss pissing off the postman having to deliver motors in the blue mailing tubes...they didn't fit thru the mail slot. Good times, good times! I'm too young to have a body this old. The only requirement I have from a caretaker is that they can fill and sand-everything else is optional!

How True Old Dude:
Seems Like only yesterday everything rocket related was only a few days away by mail. Loved the Blue Tube motors and kits packaged and packed to get to use in good shape.

Reflecting back on "the Old Days" seems very fitting today is it's my last day at work after 40years with the company and 45years in the sign business. which means I'm coming up on 51years in the hobby! Time sure fly's when your having fun:)

Wow Kit, you're old. Was it delivered by Pony Express?

Last edited:
Glad to see you're conservative with the parts. Didn't use them up right away!
Now, lets here about the stick and tissue kits....

Glad to see you're conservative with the parts. Didn't use them up right away!
Now, lets here about the stick and tissue kits....
A Gollywock reprodcution kit, Stratometer, Earl Stahl "Gypsy", Ultimate Dragmaster, Jesse James A1 towliner, Midwest "Dynamoe", Korda Wakefield...well, the list goes on.

O.D.,

You're not the only one who still has their first order form from Estes. :wink:

Here's pictures of my first order to Estes on January 25, 1970. Estes would return your order form with the product that was sent back then.

Estes Order 1 01-25-70.jpg Estes Order 1 01-25-70 Close-up.jpg

Somewhere I have a shipping invoice from Estes in 1964. I remember back then I sent in my order along with cash in a regular envelope with 5 a cent stamp.

Somewhere I have a shipping invoice from Estes in 1964. I remember back then I sent in my order along with cash in a regular envelope with 5 a cent stamp.
That was the way things were done in those days, Stan. We're dating ourselves.

When I ordered my EAC membership kit in 1974, I neglected to include shipping. Estes sent the kit and asked for the shipping, which I think was 60 or 70 cents. Dad ignored it and then they sent another letter. Dad grudgingly sent them a money order.

Mrs. OD will agree with that statement.

I still have a sweatshirt I wore in high school back in the 1960's.
HAH! Wife just convinced me that nobody knows who Pat Paulsen is anymore and made me ditch the sweatshirt! He woulda made a great president.

HAH! Wife just convinced me that nobody knows who Pat Paulsen is anymore and made me ditch the sweatshirt! He woulda made a great president.

I remember Pat Paulsen! Is it too late to get the sweatshirt back?

pat_paulsen_for_president.jpg

[QUOit'E=Iin 1964itiator001;1419561]O.D.,

You're not the only one who still has their first order form from Estes. :wink:

Here's pictures of my first order to Estes on January 25, 1970. Estes would return your order form with the product that was sent back then.

View attachment 254083 View attachment 254084[/QUOTE]

Wow, It's so cool to see this familiar order form nearly 50 years later. I first ordered from Estes in 1964. I remember including a dollar bill for an Astron Scout and I think they sent a nickel back with the kit. I'm sorry I threw ou all my MRN's, catalogs and log books decades ago when I moved out of my parent's house.

Here's me in 1964 at a local hobby show wiith my rockets and u-control airplanes. Time does fly. I'm still a kid inside though.:D

1964 CSL Hobby Show 2.jpg

Back