PMW Launch 2/7/15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
Phoenix Missile Works, Birmingham, AL, is having an All Power Launch this Saturday. MicroMaxx to HPR. 30k FAA waiver. Visit the phoenixmissileworks site at their dot com address for launch site details.

Wow, 30k waiver is amazing. Congrats to those folks for finding a hole in the traffic pattern. First club launch for you ? First time seeing a high power rocket in person ? Prepare yourself for mind blowing AWESOMENESS ! :)

BTW that phoenix site didn't work for me. NAR ? Tripoli ? Independent ?

30k is awesome! Looks like the website is down. Google cache indicates TRA research launches. I've been to Birmingham, AL many times - but flew there.... Wish you were a bit closer!

Kills me that when I was splitting my time between Mississippi and NC you guys didn't have the 30k yet - and now of course I've moved away. That's the best waiver on the East Coast, congrats. And higher than every waiver in my new home state of Texas. I-35 to Argonia has become my best friend.

Next time I'm visiting family I'll pay you all a visit.

-Steve

Yeah it's hard to believe we can't find a spot to get 20k+ waiver in Texas. Asa was 25k' a while back but it's apparently down to 18k' for some reason. Not that I need that, but it would be a heck of an incentive for others!

Yeah it's hard to believe we can't find a spot to get 20k+ waiver in Texas. Asa was 25k' a while back but it's apparently down to 18k' for some reason. Not that I need that, but it would be a heck of an incentive for others!

Preaching to the choir - I've been an altitude junky forever so I was pretty excited to move to Texas from the East coast only to find that the highest waiver in the state (W. TX) is identical to the waiver we had in New York. I understand Jay is working on getting 50k', and I've made several trips to Argonia, but that's 18 hours of driving round trip from Houston and can only be done a few times a year.

Still waiting on you folks up in Dallas (away from the trees) to get something in the 30k range!

That said, if the fourth time's a charm with Waco this weekend, I'll be there.

-s

Still waiting on you folks up in Dallas (away from the trees) to get something in the 30k range!
-s

Welll... I think that the sky is just too crowded around here with DFW and the ramp up at Love Field. Even Asa had to cut back.

Preaching to the choir - I've been an altitude junky forever so I was pretty excited to move to Texas from the East coast only to find that the highest waiver in the state (W. TX) is identical to the waiver we had in New York. I understand Jay is working on getting 50k', and I've made several trips to Argonia, but that's 18 hours of driving round trip from Houston and can only be done a few times a year.

That said, if the fourth time's a charm with Waco this weekend, I'll be there.

-s

I hope to make it to Asa this weekend but the wind forescasts, kids, a friends birthday party, etc., all seem to be saying otherwise. Did you hear the talk of maybe moving it to Sunday? Either day doesn't look good to me for the reasons above.

By the way, we used to have a 30k+ waiver up in the panhandle but to my knowledge the land is no longer available to rocketry :( for several years now.

I hope to make it to Asa this weekend but the wind forescasts, kids, a friends birthday party, etc., all seem to be saying otherwise. Did you hear the talk of maybe moving it to Sunday? Either day doesn't look good to me for the reasons above.

By the way, we used to have a 30k+ waiver up in the panhandle but to my knowledge the land is no longer available to rocketry :( for several years now.

Yeah, one of my first big rocket launches was LDRS in Wayside in '02. Awesome site, awesome waiver, but of course that was about 10 years before I had anything that could use a 50k waiver.

I did hear the talk of moving it to Sunday...since my projects got grounded at Balls, I built this little 3" thing to fly at Waco while I wait on my next Argonia trip/NM waiver to come through. Waco's close enough to invite friends to the launch, so I made plans with friends on Jan. 10, 17, 24, and 31 to go to Waco and fly my dinky L motor and was forced to cancel four times in a row. So I'm not getting my hopes up, and figure that as soon as I plan on not going, it'll happen. That said, when I get home from work tonight, I'm going to get the rocket ready because I think the fifth time might be a charm.

-s

From weather.com for Saturday Feb.07:

Birmingham AL - sunny, 63 degrees F, winds 5-10 :)

Waco TX- sunny, 72 degrees F, winds 15-25 :(

Hope the OP comes back with a nice launch report from Dixie.

Phoenix Missile Works, Birmingham, AL, is having an All Power Launch this Saturday. MicroMaxx to HPR. 30k FAA waiver. Visit the phoenixmissileworks site at their dot com address for launch site details.

Yeah, waiver is only 24K. But I'll be on site with the store for both days(launches are all 2 day launches) and I also brought a Blue M to fly in my 5in rocket.

Is there a point of contact phone number for this launch? I am with the University of Louisville NASA Student Launch team and would like to get some more information about the launch and if there is going to be a launch on Sunday.

Back