Estes Space Shuttle - Elastic Cord

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am finally building the Estes Space Shuttle kit I've had for years. However, the kit is so old that the elastic thread used to keep tension on the elevon horn is no longer elastic (it's basically like regular thread now). What I'm wondering is if anyone who has built this kit can give me a rough idea of how much force this elastic thread would have provided when installed in the kit so that I can come up with a replacement for it.

Thanks!

I have built it using the original elastic and it does seem to lose its pull over time. That having been said, I would tell you it does not have to be very strong force. Maybe try a lightweight elastic beading cord like you find in craft stores? In any case, take your time with this one and do it justice. Don't overbuild and you'll have a good flyer!

Good Luck!

Hobby Lobby actually has elastic thread. I saw it last night while looking for shock cord elastic. Even says elastic thread on the package.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Glenn, since you've noticed the elastic cord has lost some of its spring force over time, does it still hold the elevons in place, or has it gotten too weak for that? I'm asking, because the cord is inside the orbiter, so I won't be able to replace it in the future if it gets too weak.

Thanks!

You'll loose the orbiter or crush it in the house long before the elastic gives up. :)

kj

It still holds the elevons ok. For how much longer, who knows? If you had to replace it you could cut apart the orbiter carefully and give it a shot.

Glenn

Latest posts

Back