It's February.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to turn your thermostat down to 10 degrees and break off the adjuster.
(Foghorn Leghorn) That's, Ah say, that's a joke, son.

Global warming my butt. It is a blizzard here. My neighbors house is about 100 feet away and I could hardly see it.

That you obviously are not in upstate NY

We are expecting over a foot of snow and then temps down to -6 (windchills will be -20) :snowflake::snowflake::snowflake::jaw:

Nor is the OP in NE Nebraska. :snowflake::snowflake::snowflake: Currently 2 Degrees with a wind chill of -16. At least the wind finally died off. Not sure how much snow we got but travel even in town was a bitch. Guess I can go out and clear off the driveway so the wife can get out in the morning. :rolleyes:

We've got roughly 14" of snow and it's still snowing and blowing like crazy. School is already cancelled. Work has not been :sigh:

Adrian

Last edited:
We've got roughly 14' of snow and it's still snowing and blowing like crazy. School is already cancelled. Work has not been :sigh:

Adrian

Wow... 14 feet?? That's some serious snow!

Or did you mean 14", which is to say, 14 inches... 14' is 14 feet, as in 14'-0"...

LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

And I spoke too soon! Forgot about this cold front coming through tonight. High tomorrow of 51. (What?)

-16 here right now according to the Thermometer in front of my living room window.:dark:
59 inside.:(:snowflake:

Yesterday, in my town, we hit an all-time record high for the day of 74 degrees, beating the previous record set in 1972 of 72 degrees. I would not be surprised if today was another record too.

Last year was the hottest year on record ever globally, despite the "polar vortex" that froze some parts of the country at the beginning of last year, then again at the end of last year, and now again at the beginning of this year. Since the American Midwest and Northeast make up about 1% of the Earth's surface, extreme cold in this tiny area of the world does not make up for scorching heat in the rest.

In fact, the cold weather of the polar vortex may very well be due to warming in the arctic. As the arctic warms, the contrast between the frozen north and more temperate regions south are diminished. That sharp contrast is what keeps the jet stream organized. As that contrast is diminished, the jet stream becomes disorganized, going high in the west, and bringing unusually warm temps to the West and Southwest, and dipping south in the middle of the country, bringing freezing temps to the Midwest and Northeast.

We're expecting our third blizzard in 7 days this evening:y:. My parking and turn around area (rather large as we live on an old farm) has 10ft snowbanks. My weather station is reading -30.2C without a windchill. This is like the "old fashion" winters of my childhood with snowbanks so high along the highways that the power company issued warnings against kids climbing the banks and touching the wires. Soooo....where is this global warming you speak of?

Australian here ;) I've had the aircon running since mid December :grin:

It's currently 22:45, front door is open and ambient in the lounge room is 22.3c / 72.1f

Krusty

Australian here ;) I've had the aircon running since mid December :grin:

It's currently 22:45, front door is open and ambient in the lounge room is 22.3c / 72.1f

Krusty

Yeah, Yeah. Let us know what it's like in July. :p

We're expecting our third blizzard in 7 days this evening:y:. My parking and turn around area (rather large as we live on an old farm) has 10ft snowbanks. My weather station is reading -30.2C without a windchill. This is like the "old fashion" winters of my childhood with snowbanks so high along the highways that the power company issued warnings against kids climbing the banks and touching the wires. Soooo....where is this global warming you speak of?

Keep an eye on it for the whole year. You are going to have a brutal winter again, just like last year (and probably next year), and the year is still going to be record hot again overall, just like last year (and probably next).

Enjoy!

I tell people, when I lived in Orange County (CA), I used to wake up in mid-January and go, "My God, it's going to be sunny AND warm AGAIN?"

I missed having "seasons" (but definitely didn't miss having snow...) so we moved a bit further north. Coincidentally, my wife and I were back in OC 2 weeks ago, and it was sunny AND 79 degrees out...

re: Houston...I could never live there. I lived in Gainesville, FL for a year....drove out to California over Thankgiving...when we stopped over in Houston, it was even more humid than it was in Gainesville...sorry, not a humidity fan...when it goes over 40% humidity where I live, you feel it!

Yeah, Yeah. Let us know what it's like in July. :p

Bah! It'll be damn cold then!

That said, Melbourne rarely dips below 0C / 32F - there might be one or two days over winter where we hit the negatives (or, below 32 - LOL the Fahrenheit system is silly!) Typically, a cold day is 8 - 10C (46.4 - 50F)

Krusty

It is currently 68 degrees here. But with winds of 6 mph, the windchill makes it feel like a chilly ... uh ... 68 degrees...

Tomorrow's forecast is for 71 degrees.

Back