cleaning and surface preparation with solvents

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
For general cleaning and surface preparation, when should one use -
Acetone
Denatured alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol

Thanks!

IPA(isopropyl alcohol) is good for just above everything. I only use Acetone when I need to remove some polymer. Beware acetone will soften/dissolve many coatings and glues. If I really need to clean the hell out of something I use Dichloromethane, nasty stuff. In general try to use IPA, much better for your health and you can use it on cured resins without messing them up.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

You've got to be careful about what you use denatured alcohol on. It (ethanol) is "denatured" by the addition of several unpalatable solvents such as methanol MEK, and benzene. It would be safer to use "fully natured" ethanol - Everclear.

You've got to be careful about what you use denatured alcohol on. It (ethanol) is "denatured" by the addition of several unpalatable solvents such as methanol MEK, and benzene. It would be safer to use "fully natured" ethanol - Everclear.

Agree

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

For general cleaning and surface preparation, when should one use -
Acetone
Denatured alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol

Thanks!

Isopropyl Alcohol is always the first choice before the first paint coat. As previously stated Denatured alcohol needs to be used with care.
MEK, Acetone, and other "Thinners" should be used only after compatability has been established as these Hotter agents can ruin your day very quickly:)

Back