I need a good quality mouse

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
I mean computer mouse. Not those tricked out gaming mouse with a million quick keys or whatever, but just a standard computer mouse that can stand up to being used, and doesn't auto double/right click right out of the box!!! I bought a cheap mouse at HEB to replace my aging mouse (that had the double clicking problem, and the right button broke) and now it double clicks like crazy in addition to auto-right clicking.

I am a network admin/computer support guy for a living and support a lot of uses. I would recommend Logitech as a starting point. You can get basic or complicated depending on your taste. I also recently found a nice Microsoft wireless mouse that is really large, so it fits my hands ( I am a good size guy at 6' 3" and have fairly large hands).

I had logitech, and honestly have not found them to be better than off brand mice. They are also more expensive too, and they too eventually suffer the double clicking problem.

The Microsoft Wireless mice are my personal favorites. I'm also an IT guy for a city. (Hi Mark!)

Gave my daughter this red cordless mouse to use with her laptop - it's awesome, works on almost any surface, no wire to get snagged on anything - ebay $4.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Red-Co...809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3a475521

If you want something better - a name brand - This one is nice too... ebay $7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOGITECH-V...018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e98f3850a

I have been using a Logitech for 8+ hours a day - for years - highly recommended!

The only mouse that I ever had to get rid of was one with a sharp edge on one side. Not comfortable to use for hours.

$_57.jpg

I prefer wired mouse though... the idea of no cord is nice, but the last M$ wireless mouse I had kept losing signal constantly, and then you gotta change the battery too.

I do CAD work all day long. I've been really happy with the M$ wheel mouse. I think I have 3-4 of them.

Yes Logitech is more expensive, but their customer service is second to none. While thankfully I have never had to get a replacement part, I have seen/heard multiple stories of Logitech going as far as sending an upgraded part to replace an Out of manufacturing part. Really though, as long as you prove you purchased it originally and don't intentionally damage it, Logitech will replace it.

I had logitech, and honestly have not found them to be better than off brand mice. They are also more expensive too, and they too eventually suffer the double clicking problem.

I just got a Logitech G700s which is wireless and rechargeable: unplug it when you like, but you can use it wired most of the time. That exactly matches my use case so I love the feature. You'll have to judge whether it's too crazy for you.

My old mouse was a Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse which had lasted me ten years before the buttons started dying... Unfortunately they are hard to find.

I prefer wired mouse though... the idea of no cord is nice, but the last M$ wireless mouse I had kept losing signal constantly, and then you gotta change the battery too.

Yep, the wireless are more expensive, and earlier wireless mice seemed prone to losing signal now and then. Wired, optical mice are outrageously reliable. I recently purchased a bunch of PC's for replacements at work and this particular model emits a signal that interferes with the proper function of wireless mice! To get around it, you have to add usb extension cord to get the little transceiver bud a few feet away from the PC.

It's like Wifi... I often have slow internet and only found that it was due to the wifi signal interference. Problem is the signal bar doesn't reflect that

Well, nothing beats a mechanical switch on a mouse or keyboard, that said. My last two mice have been a MS Sidewinder gaming mouse (bought when it was the bleeding edge of mice tech) and now a Logitech G602 both have way more buttons than you want. However the quality is what Im paying for, the MS has finally started the auto double-clicking thing so it was time for a new one, enter the G602. Even MS and Logitech make good quality inexpensive mice if point and click is all your after. My keyboard is an old Microsoft Internet Keyboard, that goes click, click, click and just like the Energizer bunny keeps on going, its currently on its 5th or 6th computer, the plain old MS keyboard that preceded it is on my other computer. All these tools have lasted at least 10 years before wearing out, YMMV on cheap stuff.

A favorite of mine is the little Microsoft Mouse 500 - a small corded mouse. Simple, rugged and reliable. I have one plugged into my Mac as I type this.

I've used several small Logitechs with varying satisfaction.

I've used Logitech for 15 years at work and at home with zero problems - ZERO. Although Logitech makes everything from the simple inexpensive to the $90 professional level, they are all quality. The Logitech Performance MX that I use has run 10 hours a day for 8 years - probably around 7 million clicks and has never double clicked or missed a click or lost connection. You get what you pay for. I'm part of a 12 person design team, select all the hardware that we use and we have been running 12 of the Performance MX for 8 years and have had - you guessed it - zero failures.

I mean computer mouse.

I'm glad you clarified that. Because at first I thought you meant you needed a good quality mousse for a reallly tricked out hairstyle.

sa-mens-hairstyle.jpg

I also work in IT, consulting for many clients in many different environments so I have seen a vary wide range of technologies. Personally I find Logitech support to be very good and in my opinion any product is only as good as the company that stands behind it. I am sure there may be some who have not had the same positive experience but that can be said about any product or service. As far as off-brand being as good, I completely disagree, cheap consumer electronics are just that, cheap, they use inferior components, very often have a poor quality fit and finish, and you can forget about warranty. They are best enjoyed by uninformed consumers.

Keep in mind that all mice wear out, the buttons can only get pressed so many times before they start to fail or just stop working. Beyond opinions on what to buy, I find a mouse is best selected buy the feel, after all it will be attached to your hand for hours each day. You should go to a store that has a good assortment of them and see how they fit, feel and if you like the feedback of the clicks, too dead, too lively etc., it's personal.

Personally I prefer a cordless mouse, but one that is rechargeable. Logitech used to have charging cradles but they had issues with them so abandoned the design in favour for a micro-USB connector to charge. At least they did last time I replaced mine, maybe they brought them back not sure. My Logitech performance MX click buttons are just starting to go now so I will likely be replacing mine next week.

Good luck.

On my bench at work ( where I'm now )

20141116_030749_zps612667e6.jpg

What kind a poser are you? As a systems architect I can, without qualification, state that you have way too much desk space open. And don't get me started on 4x3 monitors.

For GP use the Logitech M325 has been the best choice for a while.

I like the wired mice...mouses...meesess...over the wireless variety, too. Mine fail at a different point, where the wire passes out of the mouse I will have wire break on the inside of the jacket from flex. I started using epoxy putty to make an extended wire relief and now I get much longer life until the dreaded double click syndrome takes over....I try to stay a mouse ahead...got one in a box right now :p

I like the Apple Bluetooth Trackpad, keeps my hands from moving too far into odd angles and prevents some pains I was starting to experience. Being Bluetooth it probably works fine with PCs, and I imagine there is a non Apple brand that comes out similar. I tend to favor wired devices but have not said any issues.

The real point, definitely consider trackpads and trackballs if you have ever had mouse issues.

yea mechanical stuff is great, but who makes mechanical mice anymore?

Not sure who makes mechanical button mice, but they are mos t likely of the gaming variety, I really miss my MS Sidewinder gaming it only
had 6 or 7 buttons but I know I went way over 10 millions clicks which is what they were garunteed for.

mine's grape!

I've had every one of these. I also like my logitech MX1000, and the G500. they take a beating and then some.
image.jpg

Must say Diz that's quite the collection of mice, too bad there's only one thing wrong with them....that damn Apple:D

I've had a gazillion mices, wired, wireless, bluetooth...I've settled on wireless ones that use AA batteries, not rechargeables. The recharge interface is often the first thing to break/fail. The newer low power mice will last many months on a single pair of AA cells. I've worn the feet off of a couple of good ones, replacing them with teflon tape (which works great BTW). Had a Logitech M510 on my desk here for ~3 years, still going great. My other rig has a fairly recent Razer wired optical mouse - the one with the reasonable number of buttons, not the fancy RPG one with 20 or so. No complaints about that one either; I would prefer not to have the cord drag but latency is a little better with wired mice.

Back