Digital Doodle - MR-3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added some "paint".

MR-3.06.jpg

A flight article after launch.

Mercury-1961Feb01_L.jpg

Greg

Last edited:
Greg that looks fantastic!Makes you want go out and build Gus' Mercury Redstone!!

Thank you sir!

I hope to scratch-build "FREEDOM 7"/MR-7 (Flight MR-3) in the not too distant future. Nut sure what size yet, but perhaps a BT-80 sized one with a 24mm MMT.

Greg

I added detail for the antenna canister (which was an incredibly difficult task BTW).

MR-3.08.a.jpg

You can almost see the bow shock forming during the early phase of reentry. :)

Greg

"Ladies and gentlemen, America's Mercury Astronauts!"

LifeOriginal709141959.jpg

The_Mercury_Seven_Astronauts_-_GPN-2000-001286.jpg

Project_Mercury_Astronauts_-_GPN-2000-000651.jpg

Can you name them and namesake of their capsules?

Greg

Amazing work. Will you be able to use this model in any way for your build?

I hope so.

Since it is a 3D model it can be saved in an .stl format for either CNC milling (will have to be 3-axis or greater) or 3D printing. Then it's just a matter of time and money. The nice thing is that I can scale it up or down to whatever tube I want. For the moment I am leaning something that will fit a 2.60" OD airframe.

Greg

I hope so.

Since it is a 3D model it can be saved in an .stl format for either CNC milling (will have to be 3-axis or greater) or 3D printing. Then it's just a matter of time and money. The nice thing is that I can scale it up or down to whatever tube I want. For the moment I am leaning something that will fit a 2.60" OD airframe.

Greg

2.6 will be a really nice size model. Not so big detail will become an overwhelming hastle, but big enough to have really have a presence.

An interesting NASA video on Project Mercury:

[video=youtube_share;qE-LcoaXHiw]https://youtu.be/qE-LcoaXHiw[/video]

Greg

Back