Fillets 2.0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
This is going to be a down and dirty experiment of an idea I've had for a while.

In the next few months I'm going to be building a rocket that should reach speeds in the upper M3s. This means I need to step up my fincan game, starting with fillets. Regular epoxy fillets are great for 99% of most hobby applications, but this is the point where I need to start looking elsewhere.

Neat epoxy actually has a very poor tensile strength (8000 psi for Aeropoxy Es6209). Compare that to the ultimate tensile strength of a 0° carbon fiber laminate with a 50% fiber content at over 200,000 psi (source) .

The bridge between those two materials seems to be a chopped CF, KEV or FG / Epoxy paste, which seems to work fairly well. However, these still underpreform regular laminates because of their short fiber length, low fiber content and random fiber orientation.

What I'm calling "Fillets 2.0" consists of many layers of carbon fiber, kevlar or fiberglass cloth and Aeropoxy PR2032, staggered to create a concave fillet shape. They will be laid up much like layers of T2T, but just at the root of the fin/tube joint. For the experiment, I'll be making 2 T joints, one with my "Fillets 2.0" idea and one with neat Aeropoxy ES6209. These will then be tested until failure.
I'll be using 5.7k 90/0 cloth for this, but since the 0° direction is optimal, it's likely that I'll use uni CF when I'm actually building.

IMG_1139.jpg

For this test I'll be testing so the fillets will be under tension, not compression. I may do compression tests later.

Alex

Last edited:
Wouldn't you need to test compression and tension at the same time i.e. fillets on each side of the fin?

Wouldn't you need to test compression and tension at the same time i.e. fillets on each side of the fin?

I think that is the truth, and was what I was about to type when I read your response.

I'll probably end up filleting both sides of the joint anyway. I was going to test both compression and tension on different tests and compare differences, but I'll just do both at the same time because I'm lazy.

Alex

This a great idea. It would be neat to test the size of fillet for optimum strength.

This is a really cool concept. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

What temperature are you going to use? Ambient may not give a test representative of flight temperatures.

I'll probably end up filleting both sides of the joint anyway. I was going to test both compression and tension on different tests and compare differences, but I'll just do both at the same time because I'm lazy.

Alex

Not lazy. If you do not have the real world setup your test would likely be invalid.

Alex,

I have tried similar things for filling radi on parts. Keep in mind your fibers low in the stack are not doing to much merely providing the basic shape for a radius. I have rolled uni into a noodle and shoved in there. I think people even make machines to do it. Keep in mind your interlaminar peel strength might not be as strong as a paste adhesive. So while a long fiber reinforced maybe stronger in tension it may be weaker in peel due to the lower adhesive strength. Your bond requires stiffness to keep it out of peel longer this is why T2T helps things. What we do a lot of the time is make a bond fillet with 9394 or 934NA then lay plies over the top. I do have a new glue to try its full of kevlar pulp and its purple. https://www.henkelna.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797942382593

in addition a shaped caul can help keep from wrinkling a bag into the fillet and ruining your pretty shape.

Is the main issue in going over M3 fundamental fillet/joint strength or high temps causing epoxy to soften?

Id say its more to do with fin flutter but good epoxy can buy you some margin when the going gets fast and hot.

The M3 fincan's fillets will be under several layers of T2T and ablative. Im not particualrly concened with softening.

Alex

I remember you talking about this. I'm interested in seeing the results.

I got the test samples cut and tacked. They're standard 1/8in black G10, I pulled out of the scrap pile. You'll have to excuse the beveling, I did some practice on this stuff.

Lower and upper pieces.
IMG_1135.jpg

Sanded with 120 grit at the bonding area.
IMG_1136.jpg

Cleaned with Acetone
IMG_1137.jpg

Clamped on an aluminum angle and tacked with small amounts of 5 min epoxy.
IMG_1152.jpg

Done!
IMG_1153.jpg

Alex

Back