Off-topic rant: "Vapes on a plane" (I wish I were Samuel L Jackson)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smoke. I enjoy it. I realize others do not.

HOLY COW!:surprised: Another smoker out there besides me? Diz, don't you just LOVE the disdain that you get from your peers over your nasty habit too? It's almost like your a sub human...

Annoying, definitely. Told to stop, absolutely. Arrested? Well, that may be a bit over the top, unless the offender starts an altercation.

Agreed, whether the offender OR the other individual starts the altercation.

Store up a nice fart, then walk by and crop dust them. Pause if necessary. "Mind if I smoke? No, mind if I fart?"

What? With all the flatulence normally associated with pressure adjustments in the cabin....like it's going to be noticeable? :lol:

I don't mind if people smoke in designated areas, wherever, that's cool. Even encountering it on a street/sidewalk isn't a big deal as long as it's legal...pretty sure a brief whiff isn't going to hurt me or even a kid...considering what you smell that comes out of your ass...

Anyway, though that doesn't bug me, the 'trail of butts' that some smokers leave is just rude...and contributes to a bad perception of smokers in general.

FC

Point well taken on the trail of trash left by many smokers around me....I see this ALL the time and, it disgusts me too. I always use cigarette butt receptacles in public or toss the butts in the bed of my truck (for later clean out) whenever in public.
Heck i ordered my new pick-up truck last monday and, i'm paying $50 just for the *Smokers Package* NOT so i can smoke in it but, for more change/gum storage...I plan to only Vape in this one.

I'm VERY careful where i smoke/vape when in public, i try to set an example and, sometimes i don't do so well...for that i may apologize if ANYONE here has ever felt *violated* at a launch i've attended.

One thing to know is that my employer has a no smoking policy on company property and, in the Semi's we drive...I violate that everyday....
My co-driver "Jeff" has the truck during the day for 10 hours and, i have it for the night shift....sometimes up to 14 hours...
He NEVER complains about the smell- He'll tell you that the floor is clean enough to eat off of, the windows are not fogged up and, the ashes (if they do fall) are never visible...plus i buy all the air fresheners and, cleaning supplies out of my pocket.

It's called pride/attitude. It's also called my office. I LIKE my office clean.

Some of our biggest complainers are the non-smokers (of course and, they have the right too) who jump in and, let me know about their experiences in OTHER vehicles...

I've been there too, my truck occasionally goes down for maintenance or "Jeff" finds himself running late and, i have to take another unit.

You'd be surprised how many of our non-smokers can *Funk Up* a good trucks interior due to nasty bathing/living conditions and, excessive sweating caused by all the high blood pressure medicine their on and, they never seem to smell their own filth....:confused: hmmmmmm. Plus, i'd say that only about 20% of us at work are smokers.

Marc, what happened simply is that you ran into an A**. Not all of us are like that. You do have every right to complain.

What bothers me and, this is a whole different subject....is that with all the sudden *legalization* of *some* unique smoking products recently and, the push to spread it is this:

Ask any Ship Captain, Pilot, Truck Driver...etc what will happen to them if they ever fail a drug test, immediately lose their job and, get a permanent mark on their record due the fact that they were "Crop Dusted" by someone who was doing something *legal*.

I'd prefer not to mention how much i may or may not make a year but, six digits while holding a steering wheel....with a high school level education is not uncommon where i work....losing that might cause someone to help someone else lose seven bones in THEIR neck.

I may not understand, agree with or know everything i see in this world but, i will always try to be considerate and, i will defend to the death your right to say it.

I used to be with one of the LTL freight companies and know exactly what your talking about Gustav. We had a driver of one of our Freightliner cabovers that his ashtray was always full of butts. I absolutely dreaded having to drive that truck when my usual truck (the terminals spare) was in use by one of our regular drivers. I frequently had discussions with my drivers about cleaning their trucks out and keeping them that way, cuz the customers see more than people think. And a Funked up truck you just have to walk by and you know it.

Thanks for all the support, guys, I appreciate it.

I was amused by the comment about crop dusting the offenders with a fart... actually I was having some gastric distress from being overseas and it was all I could do to contain most of the worst of it. We're talking about some real nose-hair searing stuff here, and I didn't want to take out an entire section of the entire cabin. I was relieved to be able to get off the plane and let fly.

From reading all these replies, while we have a range of opinions, I see a common thread of respecting others. Not surprising, given the fact that we need to respect our launch sites and so forth to maintain our hobby.

Thanks all!

I agree with your outrage, but cannot support your premise.

We all inhale stuff every day that has been inside other people, particularly in enclosed places....it is called air....:) I can think of a few other gases as well, but those not a subject for polite conversation...:)

Now, do I want to ingest anything besides air or water vapor that has been consumed by another person?.....absolutely not.

I draw the line at exhaled air that contains particulate matter within the threshold of my sense of smell (and vision).

I draw the line at exhaled air that contains particulate matter within the threshold of my sense of smell (and vision).

And that is where I am drawing the line, as well.

The vapor situation on the plane reminds me of a Robert Heinlein quote:

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness."

There is more to the quote, but the rest of it is left for for a personal exercise for the interested to find.

Back