Lake Winni Waiver to 12,500 ft

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman85

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my Name is Anthony. I am new to this forum but I have been a rocket enthusiest for many years. I wanted to let people know that I have a waiver to 12,500 ft for the lake in NH. I am an active member of MMMSC and I am in contact with Jason Nadeau of AMW. We together are trying to get people out to launch with us in the coming weekends. We are still in the process of hashing out the minor details and we will let those who are interested know via this forum and on the AMW website which Jason will post there. So, stay tuned for more info and if you have any other questions regarding the site and anything else feel free to ask. The waiver is for a class two rocket and up to O impulse.

Ahh Jason told me about this back when it was still in the idea stage. I told hime I would go if I can. Going to try and break 10k since I can't do that at MMMSC.

Just a quick question though, where exactly is lake winni, I've never heard of it.

Lake Winnipesaukee is in central NH about 85 min. from the mass. boarder and abouty 45 min. from the MMMSC launch site.

What!!!!! Wait, on the lake itself? I'll most definitely try my best to be there if there is more details available.

So I have just spoken to Scott of MMMSC. He said that he would be willing to bring launch equipment to the launch. I will post the date ASAP. Maybe as early as this weekend and every weekend after, even if I have to build my own pad.

I wouldn't be able to make it to the first two launches but I could make it at least once or twice after that

Seeing that I live in Meredith, I am totally down with a launch off the lake. Maybe I can get one of my friends with a snowmobile to help with recovery ops.

Okay that would be awsome. I am in the process of purchasing a sled so I'll have one as well. Keep checking for updates.

I think he means lake winnipesaukee.

Ah that makes sense. I've just never heard it called that before.

Well I can't wait, will definitely try to exercise my right to fly over 10k. Also will be able to test out two cameras in different roles. First is my iPhone with its 240 frames/sec slow mo, then it's the on board camera on my L2 rocket.

Interesting, the amusement park I grew up going to near Chattanooga, TN is named Lake Winnepesaukah, which if you read the Wikipedia on it was named after Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

hi all, its jason from AMW. if you need motors for the launch please let me know. I will do my best to get them. I will also bring everything that i can at the launch. so if you have seen my car that is a S@$H TON! I wont be bringing any kits. so if you want one, email me at [email protected] and let me know! More details about the launch to come soon. :y:

Lake winn Launch this saturday feb 7th, 2015!
Parking at The Lyons Den, in Gilford, NH also located at the Marine Patrol ( joint Parking lot) For the GPS please use....25 Dock Rd - Gilford, NH 03249 google maps bring you right to the site. The waiver is 12,500K MMMSC is supporting this launch. If you have a snowmobile or something that is able to help shuttle threw this snow, please bring it. The less time that we can spend shuttling the more time we can spend flying. If you know of a college team that needs to do test flights to 10K please let them know about this launch! any question feel free to email me at [email protected]. Also stay tuned for any cancellation notices on Fri. evening if there is no post that says it's a no go. then assume we will be there. I have a snow machine for shuttles and retrieval of rockets. I will see about a pop up bob house for shelter and to warm up as well.

Last edited:
How thick is the ice? Be safe.

not sure on thickness, but we have check with the marine patrol and they said its good. Also we have been told it is the same weekend as the ice fishing derby. So if they are out there we can be out there. :) That being said there will probably be A LOT of people that have never seen the stuff that will be flying, so it goes with out saying but BE NICE TO THE PEOPLE ON THE ICE. If possible we hope to make this a new launch site while the lake it frozen.... :)

i have been told that the ice is close about 12" thick

12" should be enough for a semi truck.

Just curious, I'm not sure about NH or global warming, but is that normal for Feb? I didn't think NH winters were much warmer then WI. I remember ice fishing with my uncle in WI back in the 70s and his power auger with the 3 foot auger bit couldn't get all the way through the ice. It was about 6" short.

Just curious, I'm not sure about NH or global warming, but is that normal for Feb? I didn't think NH winters were much warmer then WI. I remember ice fishing with my uncle in WI back in the 70s and his power auger with the 3 foot auger bit couldn't get all the way through the ice. It was about 6" short.

I would think local conditions would have a greater effect, year-to-year, over the changing climate worldwide. If the lake is fed by sources that carry some thermal energy with the water, if the flow is strong enough or if the lake is just really deep, there could be enough disruption to keep the ice thinner or even allow some open water.

Do you know the depth of the water you fished on as a kid? Winnipesaukee has a maximum depth of 212 ft so there's lots of BTUs retained below the ice layer.

Also we have been told it is the same weekend as the ice fishing derby.

Fishermen will be scattered all over the lake, right? How do you set up range operations and recovery area?

Lots of ice fishermen in my neck of the woods (I used to be one of them). I always liked the idea of flying off a frozen lake, but landing a rocket on an unsuspecting fisherman's head made me nervous.

we are located over the deepest part of the lake. as you know the ice fisherman will stay mostly in the shallows.... That is what i have been told at least. We plan on going out early saturday morning and claiming our spot. Im sure there will be plenty of room for both parties to have their fun.

I would think local conditions would have a greater effect, year-to-year, over the changing climate worldwide. If the lake is fed by sources that carry some thermal energy with the water, if the flow is strong enough or if the lake is just really deep, there could be enough disruption to keep the ice thinner or even allow some open water.

Do you know the depth of the water you fished on as a kid? Winnipesaukee has a maximum depth of 212 ft so there's lots of BTUs retained below the ice layer.

That may be the difference. I was on Shawano Lake. 7 mile by 3 mile and averages 6 or 7 ft deep. I think the deep spot is 35 ft. They say if you are 6 ft tall, you can walk across the lake in the right spot.

as of right now we are a go for tomorrow's launch flying starts around 10am until we are to cold my guess between 2-3pm Also my car "a black Toyota yaris" will have an AMW Prox banner in the window so you know your in the right spot.  

PLEASE CHECK BACK HERE BEFORE YOU LEAVE TO HEAD FOR THE LAUNCH. IF FOR SOME REASON IT IS CANCELED I WILL TRY AND GET A POST UP BEFORE 730AM. IF THERE IS NOTHING FROM ME OR ROCKETMAN85 PLAN ON THE LAUNCH TO STILL BE A GO.

Please be prepared for the cold or any wetness as it can be slushy in some spots!! muck boots are great! Dress warm!

Launch was good. Only two flights. I will have video of mine later.

Back