Estes National Aerospace Plane question about the short body tube section...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I picked up a National Aerospace Plane as a source of parts to replace the Estes Magnum that darted. I've still got the decals, Now, thanks to the STM-012 problem/warranty replacement, I'm getting another nosecone... Hmmmm... What to do?

National Aerospace Plane:
attachment.php

photo and rocket by Micromeister

So, I'm now thinking about building the NAP, but I don't know about the body tube segment that is used for the Engine Fairing Tube. I've got a small chunk of body tube that wasn't labeled, and may or may not be part of a Saturn V, Saturn 1B, or one of my Mercury Atlas rockets, but I've got a feeling it's from the NAP. I looked up the plans, but didn't get any useful info there.

Does anybody know what the dimensions of that body tube are supposed to be?

Last edited:
Does anybody know what the dimensions of that body tube are supposed to be?

It's a 2 inch piece of BT-60.

You slice it length wise and manipulate into the needed shape, remove any excess after it has been put in place and the glue has dried.

Yeap! Still have the model. Bradycros is correct, start with 2" Of BT-60 trim to fit the standoffs after gluing.

Like the model so Much did a 4x downscale micro powered:)

MM 304p1c_Micro NASP 2pic 128dpi_06-04-05.jpg

Last edited:
The main body tube is an 18" long BT-60, the catalog lists it as a 1.637" diameter rocket (and it used the PNC-60RL nosecone). I think the part is a BT-80, but I can't be sure.

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est2037/est2037.htm

the scram-jet intake shroud is about the same radius as the body, depending on how you set the fins and spacers(BT-60) Not a guess, that's what it is.
The cover on the Micro version is cut from a T3 (.375") tube same as the main body. it flattens out slightly as it is secured between the fins on the intake standoffs just like the full size model.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...

I have an alternative idea... Cardstock. It worked for the Advanced Target Drone. :wink:

The main body tube is an 18" long BT-60, the catalog lists it as a 1.637" diameter rocket (and it used the PNC-60RL nosecone). I think the part is a BT-80, but I can't be sure.
https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est2037/est2037.htm

I know how to make you sure with the following facts.

Go to www.rocketshoppe.com and select 'Building Tips' on the right hand side of the home page.

On the next page, scroll down to and select 'Estes Body Tube/Kit Reference v 3.1' by John Brohm.

Scroll down to page 20 and locate kit #2037, National Aerospace Plane.

You will find only 3 tubes listed for kit #2037. They are as follows:

The 1st listing is for 18 inches of BT-60. (Main Body tube)

The 2nd listing is for 2 inches of BT-60.

The 3rd listing is for 2.75 inches of BT-20. (Motor tube)

OK now, which tube do you think it could possibly be?

Then go to the link you posted
(https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est2037/est2037.htm) and look at page 1. The drawings of the diameters of the two largest tubes sure look the same to me.

Now look at steps 6 & 7 in the instructions.

Yeup... ya got yourself a real head scratcher here K'Tesh! :wink: Now you've got me wanting to build a N.A.P., hope Semroc starts offering their great selection of balsa nose cones real soon.

Last edited:
Do you know if we're suppose to use the old link to Semroc? Or is there going to be a new link?

Yeup... ya got yourself a real head scratcher here K'Tesh! :wink: Now you've got me wanting to build a N.A.P., hope Semroc starts offering their great selection of balsa nose cones real soon.

I tried looking at the following file for it, didn't find it... [EDIT] Ah... I looked for "Aerospace plane", on your link, I looked for "National" and found that it was listed as "National Aero Space Plane".
https://www.psc473.org/howto/EstesTubes.pdf

You could always pick up one of the Estes kits (such as the STM-012) that use the PNC-60RL and get working on one today... However, be careful about those body tubes, they're prone to damage due to the tight fit of the bag they used.

Last edited:
I tried looking at the following file for it, didn't find it... [EDIT] Ah... I looked for "Aerospace plane", on your link, I looked for "National" and found that it was listed as "National Aero Space Plane".

The listing is meant to be used numerically, not alphabetically.
You need to be looking for the kit #, not the name (although the name is listed to the right of the #).

Back