STAR TREK or star wars

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick'em folks; STAR TREK or star wars

• STAR TREK

• star wars

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is it a sin to not be a huge fan of either?

Yes, yes it is...

Say 20 "hail Vaders" and do a "Picard facepalm" for your penance...

Unless of course your a "Planet of the Apes" fan, then you may be forgiven... LOL:)

Later! OL JR :)

Calm the frak down. (That's a Battlestar Galactica reference.)

Hehehe... you want to start some discussion-- go over to YORF and bring up the subject of "hottest sci-fi babes"... LOL:) That one will go on for WEEKS....

Besides, we ALL know that THE hottest sci-fi babes were on "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century"... And the hottest of them all was Princess Ardala... she had the nicest set of "horns" at the ball... LOL:)
buck-rogers-princess-ardala-2.jpgPrincess_Ardala_Buck_Rogers-240x300.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say, when I heard about this mashup, I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddently cried out in terror and suddently silenced. This Abrams character, he tasks me. He tasks me; and I shall have him. I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up. I have a very bad feeling about this. But the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of Hollywood. And I suppose the needs of the movie industry outweigh the needs of the fans.

"Impressive... MOST impressive! Obi-Wan, has taught you well...

You have controlled your fear... Now, RELEASE your anger... only your HATRED can destroy Abrams!"

There should be a "Prime Directive" that these wanna-be hatchet-job modern directors don't get to mess up classics like Trek and Star Wars...

"It is unavoidable... it is your DESTINY! You, like you father, are now... MINE!!!!"

Have to agree here, but one thing andrew left out was the disembowlment of monetary money.
Once the greed and power ceases, by the power of wealth, ALL will earthlings will become equal.
How that will happen in the future is probably the greatest mistery on Earth, if not the Universe.
The one that does it, will be forever remembered alongside FRD's address to congress the day after 12.07.41.

"FRD"??

Been doing a little too much "LDS"??

LOL:)

I hope he butchers star wars! Turn around is fair play.

If you think about it for a moment though... Lucas did quite a number on his own work, changing the cantina scene in Mos Eisley, all things Jar Jar, editing in Hayden Christian into Return of the Jedi, and then there's the disaster he called "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" (I still want the time I lost in the theater watching that back).

JJ would have to sink pretty low to beat that.

If you think about it for a moment though... Lucas did quite a number on his own work, changing the cantina scene in Mos Eisley, all things Jar Jar, editing in Hayden Christian into Return of the Jedi, and then there's the disaster he called "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" (I still want the time I lost in the theater watching that back).

JJ would have to sink pretty low to beat that.

So now the even number Indiana Jones movies suck... sorta like how folks say the odd numbered Trek films suck (and I kinda see their point, a little bit... fair to say they "weren't as good as the even numbered ones").

I think Lucas has fallen victim to "believing his own press"... He's been lauded for SO long for his original work on the original SW trilogy that he's come to believe ANYTHING he cranks out is gonna be "gold" without really stopping to think how it's gonna come across... or how it'll be received... let alone look at how some of his "improvements" and "new ideas" passed muster (or in most cases, COMPLETELY FLOPPED ON THEIR FACES!)

IMHO JJAbrams is the same way... everybody fawns over him as some sort of "genius" and maybe he is to the brainless under 18 mall-rat set, but honestly... I think he's heard it SO much that he just goes off in some wonky direction and runs with it no matter HOW off-the-wall it happens to be... and he basically "phoned it in" on "ST: Into Darkness" anyway, which is why that movie was truly awful...

I really tried to give him a chance... I LOVED the casting decisions they made with Abram's "Trek" but then they just TOTALLY mucked it up with the music, set design, and a really weak story that was SO full of holes it's not even funny. Even my 10 year old daughter was poking SO many holes in it when we watched about 20 minutes of it on DirecTV the other night that I found myself going "yeah, you're right" to the point that we both said practically in unison "this sucks, lets watch something else" and flipped the channel...

Blowing up Vulcan and turning Scotty into a buffoon is a great way to make friends and influence people in the Trek universe... :kill:

Why not both?

Seriously, though, I'm too cynical to buy in to Roddenberry's vision of a happy-happy joy-joy future where everyone just gets along. As a species, I think we're just too selfish.

From a story standpoint, yeah, Trek is better; Star Wars is a classic Western. Lucas' revisionism is ... extremely frustrating.

If its gonna be happy-happy-joy-joy then it can only be Demolition Mans universe...

I am a Trek guy. First thing I can consciously remember was sitting on my Dad's lap on the couch watching the intro of Star Trek. I described the room to him, and I was less than two when we moved from that house.

That is not to say that I dislike Star Wars. I really enjoy Star Wars too.

They are different beasts.

Hehehe... you want to start some discussion-- go over to YORF and bring up the subject of "hottest sci-fi babes"... LOL:) That one will go on for WEEKS....

Besides, we ALL know that THE hottest sci-fi babes were on "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century"... And the hottest of them all was Princess Ardala... she had the nicest set of "horns" at the ball... LOL:)
View attachment 253568View attachment 253567

I'd pay good money to see Princess Ardala and Col. Wilma Deering wrestle in a pool full of Jell-O.

Star Wars is more entertaining, and that's the only thing that really matters to me.

What he said.

I call a movie good if I can go in, buy the $19 bucket of popcorn, the $12 soda (comes with a life ring and now catheter), flop down, put my feet on the seat in front of me, and put my brain in neutral.

If the previews mention Cannes, Toronto, or Sundance, I avoid it like I would toenail fungus.

This is a thread about STAR TREK vs. STAR WARS. Please don't hyjack it with other shows.

But Firefly was way better than either of those. Realistically plausible and futuristic and sci-fi ish all wrapped up with witty Whedon-ish humor.
I am blue collar I guess, but I like Star Trek for it's writing and ideals. I like Star Wars for the pure sci-fi fantasy storys. And I know where capital letters belong :wink:

Adrian

I think you'd have to give this to Star Wars. I don't think Trek ships (other than perhaps the Defiant) would be very stable with the propulsion pods way the heck off of the center of gravity.

I'm a Trek person myself, come to that later in life. The original series was sometimes hokey but didn't take itself too seriously. Next Gen was pretty well rounded. Voyager suffered somewhat from new particle shows (it's all because of the tachyons, you know). On the other hand, Empire Strikes Back was the first movie I saw in theaters, at about age 5. Apparently, I flipped out when Yoda came on. My dad tried to reassure me that the puppeteer was the same person as Miss Piggy, but it didn't take.

Oddly enough, as I write this, I realize that I liked the shows and movies made with models much better than the ones made with CGI.

The "Propulsion units" (Nacelles) don't create forward propulsion in a "rocket motor" sense, they create a field around the ship to create a hyperspace condition and open a stable wormhole for travel. The Impulse (Ion) Drive is firmly placed at the rear of the saucer section. (Did I just say that like it was real?) :facepalm:

If you want to talk about airframe stressing the placement of propulsion units, then anything Garry Anderson produced would top the list.

View attachment 253568View attachment 253567

I didn't think Ardala was all that. At least they used Stargates for travel to other parts of space.

But Firefly was way better than either of those. Realistically plausible and futuristic and sci-fi ish all wrapped up with witty Whedon-ish humor.
I am blue collar I guess, but I like Star Trek for it's writing and ideals. I like Star Wars for the pure sci-fi fantasy storys. And I know where capital letters belong :wink:

Adrian

Firefly was one of those things that came along at the wrong time on the wrong network. It, and Farscape, was something I never watched until Netflix. Same thing for Lost. I just started season 5 in Lost. Want Weird? watch Lost.

Firefly was realistically plausible, no doubt about that. The area of space was much smaller and so exotic drives never were needed, but there was an implied near relativistic speed possible. Wish there was more.

Farscape was "ok" until they got to Earth. That whole Australia being the center of the universe and "IASA-NASA" was just so odd that it always had me trying to figure out if there was something more to it than just being a result of where it was produced. It didn't "Feel" Right. BSG was filmed in Canada, and you can tell that Caprica City was Vancouver, especially after I visited Vancouver, but it didn't matter, because it just worked, I guess. The Alley scenes were the A' Ha moment for me. Even Stargate filmed there, but they did a pretty good job of making it "feel" like the grittier parts of Colorado springs... Yes, there are some crappy areas in COS.

Stargate Univers was getting interesting, then poof. Gone. The Elevator Music Scene was particularly funny. I think the directors couldn't handle the multiple paradox situations that they kept getting into...

As for Trek, TOS (I'll admit, I prefer the remastered CGI) was the best, I liked Enterprise and only needed another season to grow it's legs, TNG was so-so, but Voyager and DS9 I couldn't care for. I do watch and eagerly anticipate New Voyages episodes, especially since my son is part of that project now. The reboot had great effects, and a nice modernization of TOS, but blowing up Vulcan and basically tossing out all the Canon to do it was the wrong thing to do, and Cumberbatch as a new Kahn, even though doing a good job playing a villain, cannot replace Montalbán who sadly died the same year. If you've read any of the Greg Cox Eugenics wars books, then Cumberbatch doesn't fit the role. (Those books are a great read, BTW).

Nobody has mentioned Babylon 5. I have never watched B5. Planning to someday, when it pops up on netflix.

Star wars? Yeah if there was ever a time a remake was worth doing, episodes 1-3 could stand to be re-told properly, without all the 'shroom hallucination induced storytelling.

Space 1999 has not been mentioned here, Space 2099 is coming...

I want the answer to the greatest mystery in all of Trekdom...

Whatever happened to Dr. Katherine Pulaski??

Guess she fell down a turboshaft when Gates McFadden agreed to return...

“Babylon 5”

“Farscape”

“Blake’s 7”

“Red Dwarf”

What I would have liked to have seen was the next TV installment of the “Star Trek” franchise that was sadly never produced.
Tentatively titled “Star Trek: Federation” it was to take place century/s after “STTNG” wherein the Federation was losing its cohesion and Star Fleet was underfunded, undermanned and was rapidly becoming a joke. With many of its ships decades old and equipped with out of date and often failing technology* and its personnel not what anyone would call the “cream of the crop” including many that were drafted from the increasing “Prol” population of the Federation Worlds.

*Do you really want to use that transporter when there’s a 1 in 10 chance it might put you back together inside-out?

Back