Aluminum leading edges.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemisterbig

Reaction score
Hey guys,

How many of you have made aluminum leading edges for high performance rockets? If so how did you make them and was it worth the effort? Also, what conditions did they undergo?

Thanks, David

I made a set cut from a soda can. Pain to bend them to fit.
If I ever do it again, I will use stainless shim stock instead.

First cut a pattern from card stock & go from there. If you have previous experience with metal work, it helps a lot.
If not find a buddy who does.

They are only warranted for M flights and above [my opinion]

There are other means available that work too.....phenolic edges & that stuff bevels nice [MacCarr]

Last edited:
I've seen soda can used before. I've also seen Stainless Steel used. That was held on with soldered brass pins. That flight went fast enough to melt the solder off the pins. I've not had any problems with any of the bare leading edges on any of my layups in the past up to about mach 2.4. Some where above that things really change. I'm guessing around mach 2.8 it starts to get interesting. Personally I've used Aluminum shed tape a few times. I've only used it up to mach 2.6 with no issues.

5fin2.jpg

Tony

David you dont need them for anything you're doing but if you still want the look maybe try some aluminum tape?

Back